The end of overseas contract work?

Special_K

Jun 16, 2008
So, with the president calling an end to Operation Iraqi Freedom and saying that all troops will be out of the country by the end of 2011, does anyone feel the contract jobs in Afghanistan may be coming to an end? If the USAF no longer needs to man facilities in Iraq, are they likely to take back the facilities in Afghanistan and begin having airmen deploy there instead? I have no credible information about whether or not this may happen, but it was something that popped into my head last night while watching the presidential address.

deon

Dec 27, 2008
Kuwait
In my opinion the government has spent way too much money on the contracts to just get rid of them. It would be a huge process to try to get the money back from all of the companies so don't expect to get kicked out for at least a year or so. There will always be some troops in these countries and they will need civilian contractors to support them. We may end up seeing the opposite; where the government needs a lot more contractors due to the decreased military presence.

From what I've seen, you may need to move around a bit once things start changing but there should be jobs over here for a while. I could be wrong, I don't have any inside info, just my opinion.

MikeATC

Retired FAA, NATCA Member
Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Some of the contract facilities may cease, but the military doesn't have enought controllers to staff the facilities so they have no other choice than to utilize contractors. I just finished a contract in Afghanistan was glad to finally leave, the work was easy, but the company BS was a pain.

Special_K

Jun 16, 2008
Thanks for replies. I'm still doubtful on all troops being out of Iraq by the end of 2011, but if it were to happen it seems it would free up a substantial amount of controllers. With four towers and three centers no longer needing manning by the USAF/ANG, I don't think the manning issue would be as critical as it is now. That would really only leave Al Udeid and the new base in Oman (not sure of the name) needing manning by USAF/ANG controllers. I'm not sure the manning outlook for other services, but with Iraq done with I don't think it would be as tight. Anyway, just some random thoughts by me.

PR_S14

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
I got an email yesterday about new contracts for trainers coming up. Not a done deal yet, but they are slated to be 4 month or yearly rotations with a 4 month rotation getting approx. 40k-60k.

skinsfan523

Rookie
Mar 28, 2010
I got an email yesterday about new contracts for trainers coming up. Not a done deal yet, but they are slated to be 4 month or yearly rotations with a 4 month rotation getting approx. 40k-60k.
What company is that with?

PR_S14

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
A couple of us got emails back to them seeking that info. The first email makes no mention of the company. I'll try and update you soon.

Special_K

Jun 16, 2008
A few months ago I received a generic email from WCG asking if I was interested in work in Iraq. I don't remember the specifics of it, but I think they were generally just looking for controllers; I'm not sure if they mostly wanted them just as trainers or to actually work position, or both.

HiDef

Rookie
Feb 9, 2010
DSM
I'm active duty USAF in Iraq working Balad CERAP. In my opinion, contract ATC will only increase in the coming months and years, at least in this country. The WCG is currently training Iraqis in Baghdad Center, but I highly doubt they'll have nearly enough trained controllers (over 100) to work all towers and radar facilities when the US finally pulls out.

HiDef

Rookie
Feb 9, 2010
DSM
A few months ago I received a generic email from WCG asking if I was interested in work in Iraq. I don't remember the specifics of it, but I think they were generally just looking for controllers; I'm not sure if they mostly wanted them just as trainers or to actually work position, or both.
I'm still on active duty for another 1.5yrs, but I received this info too, from our Chief Controller. I believe the primary focus will be training, but you'll spend plenty of time solo too, methinks.

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Just be careful accepting a job with ITT, their contract ends in April and which means that you won't qualify for any of their alledged bonuses.

AlphaLima

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2008
A black hole
I got the same email for Baghdad Center training. I'll pass though, i'v done enough training in the AF for now, i want to actually work traffic not watch a trainee do it. Crazy concept to the AF apparently.

Special_K

Jun 16, 2008
So, would we see something like contract work shifting from Afghanistan to Iraq? Maybe the USAF will take back the contracted facilities in Afghanistan and give Midwest and the others Iraq to train. Unless the plan is for the 1C1 career field to be largely non-deployable. After Iraq is left supposedly by the end of next year, there will only be Al Udeid and maybe the base that I believe is being built in Oman remaining. There's been talk for a number of years now about making Al Udeid sort of like a Korea with a one year PCS. So are we looking at the end of 1C1 deployments rather than the end of overseas contract work?

MontanaATC

Rookie
Nov 7, 2010
My opinion is that the military will not take back any of the facilities... Having uniforms in country is much more of a hot potato than having contractors... The politicians can then say that the military draw down is in progress, successful, etc, etc, etc... And, in a ton of these locations the locals are not even close to being able to take over air traffic...

APBA

Newcomer
Feb 18, 2009
Just be careful accepting a job with ITT, their contract ends in April and which means that you won't qualify for any of their alledged bonuses.
Really? Sour grapes?

Completely false information being spread here. Hit me up for the real deal on this in addition to a host of other issues. Are you looking for overseas employment? I know a guy......

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
Not sour grapes just factual information. ITT itself was a good company to work for, but you need to be aware that contractors come and go as they win or loose contracts. If you don't complete a full contract then most companies will not pay you any of their promised bonuses.

ATC_MacGyver

MacGyver
Dec 19, 2008
with the bears.
you are manipulating the facts. If you sign a contract and complete that contract you will be paid on a per day prorated basis.

If you sign a contract and don't finish it, they will not pay you your bonus, which IS stated in the contract. Get your facts right!

MikeATC

Apr 3, 2009
Nashville TN
The problem is they make you sign a one year contract with promises of X amount of bonuses upon completion of the year. Now if the company looses the contract you obiviously can't complete your one year requirement to qualify for the bonuses. If the company is on the up and up, they should offer you pro-rated bonus amounts based upon how long you were employed.

Of course if you quit then you don't qualify for any bonuses, and my experience is that most companies have a contract clause where they can force you to pay any expenses they incurred training you, flights to from work location, etc.,.

ATC_MacGyver

MacGyver
Dec 19, 2008
with the bears.
The problem is they make you sign a one year contract with promises of X amount of bonuses upon completion of the year. Now if the company looses the contract you obiviously can't complete your one year requirement to qualify for the bonuses. If the company is on the up and up, they should offer you pro-rated bonus amounts based upon how long you were employed.

Of course if you quit then you don't qualify for any bonuses, and my experience is that most companies have a contract clause where they can force you to pay any expenses they incurred training you, flights to from work location, etc.,.
again, it sounds like you are making things up. I'm on a 5 month contract because the new contract is up for bid in April. I got a prorated sign on bonus, and my contract states the dollar amount per day for all bonuses.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
again, it sounds like you are making things up. I'm on a 5 month contract because the new contract is up for bid in April. I got a prorated sign on bonus, and my contract states the dollar amount per day for all bonuses.
If your company gave you that kind of contract then its better than most. I have only worked for two contract companies and they never tell you when the contract is up and always have you sign a one yr contract. So in the end it is down to the kind of deal you get. Most don;t give the kind of deal you got. Congrats by the way...