The reject thread

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
In fact, I have had a hard time even getting a contact number for anyone at ZLC who knows anything, to arrange a tour. Being selected was just as much a shock to me as not being selected was a shock to others.
ZLC is notorious for that. I've heard stories of academy students whose final destination was ZLC who could not get a tour. I've got the contact info for the training manager there if you want to give it a try with her(If you've still been unsuccesful in your attempts). Once you have your TOL you might be able to get in...the head person there thinks the center is her private kingdom. It's the only facility I've ever heard of where people have a difficult time getting tours.

Charliefoxtrot

Nov 19, 2008
San Diego
It's day two of my rejection and I still feel like crap, demoralized as all hell, and the last thing I want to read is another person waving their TOL in my face at 5:18 in the morning as I get ready to go to the slave ship that is my current job.....When is pubnat 7's panel meeting? (hope...)

rmh151

Rookie
Apr 29, 2009
Are you guys seeing the "another candidate" line under you application tab, under submitted where it used to say you made the referral list? if not, where is it showing up?

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
ok you guys on here are talking about how the FAA doesn't really care about whether you're qualified or not I think you're right! That's why they should get rid of OTS people sorry had to say it. With the economy now everyone wants a job so of course they will try to get off the street so how can we tell who will make it or not...that's why they should pick people who are CTI or were in the military..get rid of OTS! plus now there are many more CTI schools now so it won't be surprising if they get rid of OTS. sorry I might have pissed some of you off...oh and for the one that said so who are the people that said e-mails were still coming and we had little birdies telling us that well yea we did get our e-mails and our little birdies are right! In the ATC world it's all about networking and the people you know...not about scores or if you did this or that, but the people you know! I know it's a crappy process, but hang in there.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
ok you guys on here are talking about how the FAA doesn't really care about whether you're qualified or not I think you're right! That's why they should get rid of OTS people sorry had to say it. With the economy now everyone wants a job so of course they will try to get off the street so how can we tell who will make it or not...that's why they should pick people who are CTI or were in the military..get rid of OTS! plus now there are many more CTI schools now so it won't be surprising if they get rid of OTS. sorry I might have pissed some of you off...oh and for the one that said so who are the people that said e-mails were still coming and we had little birdies telling us that well yea we did get our e-mails and our little birdies are right! In the ATC world it's all about networking and the people you know...not about scores or if you did this or that, but the people you know! I know it's a crappy process, but hang in there.
Sorry, had to rebut. First, I acknowledge that MIL and CTI make good qualified applicants, so let not even start that. Second, being OTS does NOT mean you are not qualified (and again I'm not saying you said this). There are quite a few people who have more real world qualifications that CTI graduates that have no other way to apply. Pilots, Ramp controllers, airline dispatchers, and airline operations management to name a few. Not to mention those that have the above qualifications plus a Bachelor's in aviation management. These are not unqualified people and would be great assets to the FAA and they should not get rid of OTS and these people. Maybe they should weed out better, but narrowing it down so you can only get in if you went to a school on a specific list or enlisted (thank you to all who have, btw) is just plain elitist. There are other qualified people out there besides you.

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
at our cti classes we had to get our pilot's license and take instrument classes and all of those kind of things, but i do understand what you're getting at. I just don't like these kids who have absolutely have no clue what ATC is or what a 7110 is and they are hiring these people !?!?!?! well yes that is the gov. and the business we are getting into, but man it's annoying. also having a degree in aviation management and other things don't make you more qualified.it makes you more qualified than the other people who have no clue, but you need some training in ATC like phraseology, and rules and regualtions. my thing is the more training you have in ATC before you go to your facility is better for you and for everyone, but who knows what the future holds for the ATC world?

cjursik

Rookie
Feb 4, 2009
Ohio
Are you really going to start this argument?? Seriously. IDC if your CTI or not. Im not CTI but I have more flight hrs than you can imagine. Lets seriously not gert started on this please.

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
at our cti classes we had to get our pilot's license and take instrument classes and all of those kind of things, but i do understand what you're getting at.
not all cti programs require pilot classes, and as i said this wasnt an argument about CTI not being qualified, because they are.

I just don't like these kids who have absolutely have no clue what ATC is or what a 7110 is and they are hiring these people !?!?!?!
This is why I said they should weed out better, but it doesn't mean eliminate.

well yes that is the gov. and the business we are getting into, but man it's annoying. also having a degree in aviation management and other things don't make you more qualified.it makes you more qualified than the other people who have no clue, but you need some training in ATC like phraseology, and rules and regualtions.
I said a BS in aviation in ADDITION to the real world experience I had listed, which would make them more qualified than someone with absolutely no real world experience but a shiny new degree.

my thing is the more training you have in ATC before you go to your facility is better for you and for everyone, but who knows what the future holds for the ATC world?
I agree, I just dont believe eliminating OTS is a solution of any kind.

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
haha i knew this would start something .. you probably have more hours but then again you haven't controlled real airplanes (as far as i know) at least i have both, flying airplanes and controlling them are two very different things. you'll probably do better than the ones who have no flying behind them. I'm just saying my opinion you can agree or disagree and i know there are a lot of people who are OTS on here and am wondering why they didn't get picked. If you can and are able to go through a CTI school then you'll really know if you can make it in this field or not. or join the military those guys know a lot too! agree or disagree not trying to pick fights

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
I agree with you Niagra! it's hard on here to try to explain what you really want to say or make it so everyone understands it. but yes they should weed out people! but you can see where you get upset that this people who have no clue get something that you want and here you are waiting, when you have more experience in aviation

Niagra19

"Murphy"
Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
haha i knew this would start something .. you probably have more hours but then again you haven't controlled real airplanes (as far as i know) at least i have both, flying airplanes and controlling them are two very different things. you'll probably do better than the ones who have no flying behind them. I'm just saying my opinion you can agree or disagree and i know there are a lot of people who are OTS on here and am wondering why they didn't get picked. If you can and are able to go through a CTI school then you'll really know if you can make it in this field or not. or join the military those guys know a lot too! agree or disagree not trying to pick fights
i disagree

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
I hope the people who think they are better than everyone have something more than just an associates degree from a community college and one hell of an ego.

Reactions: Rosstafari

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
Let's not forget that a large portion of the current "veteran" workforce was brought in OTS.
that's because there were no such thing as CTI schools. and a lot of those controllers i know don't like OTS because they hate training them...i don't know talked to a lot of supervisors

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
and yes i have more than an associate degree. my opinion if you can't get in go CTI then see if you can get in. I know I'm in.

MissBig

Rookie
May 9, 2009
sorry for makin this such a big deal shouldn't have become that. and i know you guys are upset you didn't get in this time, but there's always the next time and the next and the next and the next

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I just don't like these kids who have absolutely have no clue what ATC is or what a 7110 is and they are hiring these people !?!?!?!
That's what the academy is for. From what I hear the Basics course that OTS people take is basically an instruments course that a pilot would take. At the end of the day everyone who arrives at a facility has all the same knowledge as anyone else. I think initially CTI students probably have the edge because they have a very good foundation of knowledge of ATC, but I gotta think that at the end of the Academy everyone is pretty close.

Plus the real training doesn't happen until you're at a facility anyways. The success rate of OTS vs CTI is nearly identicle so I wouldn't say CTI students are more prepared for the job.