The Time is Nigh!

ChefBryardee

Rookie
Jul 5, 2018
Fort Worth
I'm an AC2 in the Navy, on the last year of my first contract and looking to get out and go FAA. Fully-qualified at my facility (KNFW); no approach control here, but we have arrival control. Got my CTO last year, but I'm looking to go to an approach control facility (specifically Potomac TRACON for family reasons) because it's a challenge I have yet to experience.

Fell into the AC rating; I actually wanted to go CTN but they didn't let me. Glad I fell into it like I did and found a passion. Anxiously anticipating the next prior-experience bid!

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I'm an AC2 in the Navy, on the last year of my first contract and looking to get out and go FAA. Fully-qualified at my facility (KNFW); no approach control here, but we have arrival control. Got my CTO last year, but I'm looking to go to an approach control facility (specifically Potomac TRACON for family reasons) because it's a challenge I have yet to experience.

Fell into the AC rating; I actually wanted to go CTN but they didn't let me. Glad I fell into it like I did and found a passion. Anxiously anticipating the next prior-experience bid!
With a CTO and arrival rating, I'd expect level 9 and below facilities. Without being an approach controller, you probably won't be seeing any high level tracons on a facility list.

ChefBryardee

Rookie
Jul 5, 2018
Fort Worth
With a CTO and arrival rating, I'd expect level 9 and below facilities. Without being an approach controller, you probably won't be seeing any high level tracons on a facility list.
My homeboy that got out a couple months ago accepted a TOL for the N90 bid back in March. Had arrival control just like me, but no CTO.

Honestly, I'm just looking to get my foot in the door wherever I can and maybe transfer afterwards if I don't get PCT initially.

planetalkerkp

Jun 15, 2008
Alabama
There used to be Washington Approach, Baltimore Approach and Richmond Approach. They were combined into the Potomac Consolidated TRACON in the early 2000's.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
My homeboy that got out a couple months ago accepted a TOL for the N90 bid back in March. Had arrival control just like me, but no CTO.

Honestly, I'm just looking to get my foot in the door wherever I can and maybe transfer afterwards if I don't get PCT initially.
N90 also takes people with no experience, but all the other high level tracons will require an approach certification.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
There used to be Washington Approach, Baltimore Approach and Richmond Approach. They were combined into the Potomac Consolidated TRACON in the early 2000's.
Also Andrews had an approach control until PCT took it over when they opened. Richmond took a couple extra years before they moved into PCT.

AlphaAlpha69

Rookie
Mar 29, 2015
New Mexico
If you're picked up on the OTS bid there is no restriction to the level facility. You might end up at an enroute lvl 12 while some poor prior exp hire gets a level 5 in North Dakota...

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
If you're picked up on the OTS bid there is no restriction to the level facility. You might end up at an enroute lvl 12 while some poor prior exp hire gets a level 5 in North Dakota...
Thats if you get an en-route TOL, which from what I’ve heard is randomized. But since you’re going through the academy they’ve had mainly levels 4-7 offered recently for terminal guys. From what I’ve read on the forums they’re filling the low levels/hard to staff places with academy grads.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
From an OTS bid, if you get terminal you're restricted to a level 4-7 except in special circumstances. If you get enroute, you'll be level 8-12.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
So marry someone working at your dream facility. Lol
Only good spots I've seen due to a spouse are ABQ and SAT. OKC maybe counting as well. The others have all been in metro areas where there's lower level facilities as well to choose. Like Detroit, San Diego, and Chicago I've seen for spousal placements but they went to the level 5-7 facilities in the area.

Salt Lake City (tower/approach/center) and Charlotte are the only cities I see that would guarantee you a level 10+ by marrying a controller there. Open up your dating pool to people working in level 9 facilities and your chances drastically improve to be in the same place.

ChefBryardee

Rookie
Jul 5, 2018
Fort Worth
I work the tower at NFW in Fort Worth, TX and about once a year, the guys at Dallas TRACON come to visit (typically the newer controllers who have never been to our facility) and the common theme over the last 2 years I would say is that they are ridiculously understaffed. Oddly enough, of the six or seven controllers that "went ashore" and tried to get a spot at D10, not one of them has been able to.

I'm curious as to how they define their priority list when this level-12 facility has gone for years without the necessary staff levels when so many people want to work there. I'm from San Diego, but Texas in general is a great and affordable place to live. I would think there's dozens or even hundreds of people looking to work there but so few seem to be selected/approved to start there.