Tier 2 Disqualified. Opinions / Advice?

tier2disqual

Newcomer
Jul 7, 2020
I have been going through the hiring process since I applied in the August 2016 bid, including going through the tier II medical process which has taken over 2 years for me to find out I've been disqualified.

They are citing it is because I show substance dependence on alcohol without evidence of ongoing recovery, including not abstaining from using alcohol for at least 2 yrs (was never told this was a "thing" during the last 4 years of going through the hiring process) and would have to abstain from alcohol the rest of my career. (Not a deal breaker but after going through 4 yrs of bullshit with the faa I'm not sure I'm ready for another 25 or 30 years).

I had an underage when I was 20. I didn't drink again until I was 21 and consume alcohol on a minimal basis. Never had any alcohol issues with the exception of the underage drinking.

The additional costs of having to pay for a 2 yr treatment program along with additional psychologists to prove I'm not addicted to alcohol doesn't seem financially feasible for a possible "we may hire you answer" especially after how big of a cluster the last 4 years has been.

As of right now the only thing I can imagine doing is get them to reverse their currently decision, as of right now I have no desire to go through the process they propose because I think they are wrong about it in the first place.

Any opinions or advice from anyone else that has dealt with the FAA in a similar situation?

J.T. Arnette

Newcomer
Dec 22, 2013
Ohio
If you want the career throw the "financial feasibility" aspect out the door and go for it. If your looking to "this type of career" on a financial aspect it might not be the one to choose. I say these things because that is what was told to me from prior controllers/ instructors. If you love "it", go for "it" no matter how steep the climb is. Because if that is where your heart is, it is worth the effort no matter what challenges lie ahead.

What area are you located in? I ask due to knowing a fantastic air medical examiner (AME) in the mid-west. I have been told and have read that he is the top if not, in the top 10 in the country, and has many years on an incredible track record with the FAA medical...he knows his s#it. Now if you are, lets say, out west then do some digging and find an AME and contact them.

To reverse their decision you will have to go through an AME and go through the paces with them, so you weigh that out for you. I have gone through medical with the FAA and know too much by what I went through and can assist/ give out some help if needed/ wanted. You can only lead a horse to water though. The only reason I joined this site and .65 is to help out others, if able to, and find out logical not emotional stats on ATC.

Slinky

Newcomer
Jul 31, 2019
I have been going through the hiring process since I applied in the August 2016 bid, including going through the tier II medical process which has taken over 2 years for me to find out I've been disqualified.

They are citing it is because I show substance dependence on alcohol without evidence of ongoing recovery, including not abstaining from using alcohol for at least 2 yrs (was never told this was a "thing" during the last 4 years of going through the hiring process) and would have to abstain from alcohol the rest of my career. (Not a deal breaker but after going through 4 yrs of bullshit with the faa I'm not sure I'm ready for another 25 or 30 years).

I had an underage when I was 20. I didn't drink again until I was 21 and consume alcohol on a minimal basis. Never had any alcohol issues with the exception of the underage drinking.

The additional costs of having to pay for a 2 yr treatment program along with additional psychologists to prove I'm not addicted to alcohol doesn't seem financially feasible for a possible "we may hire you answer" especially after how big of a cluster the last 4 years has been.

As of right now the only thing I can imagine doing is get them to reverse their currently decision, as of right now I have no desire to go through the process they propose because I think they are wrong about it in the first place.

Any opinions or advice from anyone else that has dealt with the FAA in a similar situation?
I too, went through the loopholes after applying in 2016. I was Tier 2’d For medical and personality reasons and nobody told me. I found out on my own. Since then, I’ve been in contact with two awesome people who communicate as the middle men/women. I did everything required of me. Yes, it was expensive but I believe it’s worth it. In my experience, if they’re asking for more info, they’re going to use it. They wouldn’t continue to ask of you to disqualify you. I’m now scheduled to take my drug test next week. Fight for it if you want it.

Feb 3, 2014
I too, went through the loopholes after applying in 2016. I was Tier 2’d For medical and personality reasons and nobody told me. I found out on my own. Since then, I’ve been in contact with two awesome people who communicate as the middle men/women. I did everything required of me. Yes, it was expensive but I believe it’s worth it. In my experience, if they’re asking for more info, they’re going to use it. They wouldn’t continue to ask of you to disqualify you. I’m now scheduled to take my drug test next week. Fight for it if you want it.
May I get the contact information to the guys you are using. I have been waiting on a medical appeals essentially since 9/2017.