Tier 2

flying-high-4ATC

Jul 6, 2014
Iowa
I too have unfortunately been flagged for a Tier 2 Psychological Examination.

I just received the email with instructions this morning. I am now extremely curious whether I am part of the few or the many that have received this email, and also whether or not they deem my answers as odd or too goody-goody.

I consider the MMPI-2 a true/false cakewalk. Unless there were accidental choices I cannot comprehend anyone not getting a perfect score on the exam. If I had a 'perfect' score, which I assume I did, why haven't others been flagged for this? I sure as hell didn't deliberately mark the easy wrong answers, ala spiders in the head, etc.

Maybe that is the last great filter of the position. You must be sharp AND disturbed.
Some people from the Feb 14 bid also had Tier 2. On average I'd say it added 3-4 months to their process time but I didn't hear of anyone failing the second MMPI or the one-on-one psych evaluation. Good luck.

JAMISONB4

Feb 6, 2014
White Lake, MI
I think they were mostly looking for consistency in your answers. I know they ask the same question several different ways and perhaps if you answered them differently you were flagged.

I don't know! I'm bummed it's going to add so much time though.

I did say the other day I would prefer to go to the academy after the holidays! Be careful what you wish for! [emoji21]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014

I just received the email with instructions this morning. I am now extremely curious whether I am part of the few or the many that have received this email, and also whether or not they deem my answers as odd or too goody-goody.

I consider the MMPI-2 a true/false cakewalk. Unless there were accidental choices I cannot comprehend anyone not getting a perfect score on the exam. If I had a 'perfect' score, which I assume I did, why haven't others been flagged for this? I sure as hell didn't deliberately mark the easy wrong answers, ala spiders in the head, etc.

Maybe that is the last great filter of the position. You must be sharp AND disturbed.
Very few people fail the MMPI. I would guess less than 10%

ErbY

Newcomer
Mar 26, 2014
That is what I am primarily curious about.

Was this a failed MMPI-2 where all failures are sent to a personal evaluation to test the validity of the test?
Was I merely flagged for a one off answer/misclick/pattern?
Did my results fall in some grey pass/fail area?
Was I randomly selected?

I'm still frustrated, sure, but I find it humorous if this test is legitimate and my genuine answers are of actual concern.

brandmasterrc

Mar 26, 2011
I took this test a couple of weeks before for an LEO position and I was told you need to be consistent with your answers and to avoid "polishing" or being too goody goody.

I only took a few seconds with each question and just chose the first answer that came to mind. I know sometimes people over think things. I had no problem with either time I took the test.

Hopefully it works out well for you.

malmaraz

Trusted Member
Sep 30, 2013
San Diego CA

Was this a failed MMPI-2 where all failures are sent to a personal evaluation to test the validity of the test?
Was I randomly selected?

I'm still frustrated, sure, but I find it humorous if this test is legitimate and my genuine answers are of actual concern.
That's exactly how I feel at the moment...like did my actual answers come off to be too polished...lol

Meetbob

Sep 17, 2015
Who would a person call to check status if its been sent to DC?
The Medical Program Analyst that sent you the email is the person who you need to contact.
They will be your point of contact thru this process.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014

Was I randomly selected?

Nobody is randomly selected to fail the MMPI. Something was off in your answers. I suspect you will find out what when you meet with the doctor. Based on which further tests you take and what they ask you about. If you spend much more than five seconds on a question you are severely over thinking the test and they probably suspect a person is trying to best the test. The respondent needs only to be honest, not to answer what they think the correct answer is.

FrankNY94

Jan 12, 2013
NY

If I had a 'perfect' score, which I assume I did, why haven't others been flagged for this?
others have. my buddy who go flagged on last years bid was told and i quote " you answered the questions too perfectly".

he ended up being delayed 5 months but went on to the academy

ClearanceClarence

Trusted Contributor
May 24, 2014
I too have unfortunately been flagged... Unless there were accidental choices I cannot comprehend anyone not getting a perfect score on the exam. If I had a 'perfect' score, which I assume I did,
I think you just answered your own question as to why you were flagged... sure there are the black and white questions like "sometimes I think about killing my whole family" etc... but the more interpretive questions can get you flagged for a variety of personality disorders... the mmpii is designed to basically flag everyone with some sort of personality disorder. Based on your answers, if you answer consistently enough to be classified as a risk for being too extreme in one/many of the personality disorders, you get flagged. On the other hand, you can get flagged for your results being inconclusive, as in, your answers didn't give an accurate picture of your mental condition... don't take offense to being flagged. You'll only come off as resentful and spiteful when you go to do your one on one eval... tier 2 sucks, don't get me wrong, I went through it and was cleared no problem... just adds a few extra months to the process.... I would guess you were flagged for either having "too good" of answers or that your answers were inconclusive... good luck...

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
You either have a disorder OR you flagged the L scale which has 15 questions to see if your answering honest the rest of the test.

One of these L scale questions has to to with "eating manners at home or not".

There are many sites to help understand the MMPI better personally spent time understanding it before taking it again. It helped me relax enough to do just fine the 2nd time round.

Just remember, how are you overall. Not on occasion.

siah1214

Rookie
Jan 5, 2011
You either have a disorder OR you flagged the L scale which has 15 questions to see if your answering honest the rest of the test.

One of these L scale questions has to to with "eating manners at home or not".

There are many sites to help understand the MMPI better personally spent time understanding it before taking it again. It helped me relax enough to do just fine the 2nd time round.

Just remember, how are you overall. Not on occasion.
That last line is good. The last time I took it, I answered it how I thought others would perceive me. Passed with flying colors.

Isenthalpic

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2015
I think they were mostly looking for consistency in your answers. I know they ask the same question several different ways and perhaps if you answered them differently you were flagged.
The thing is, while there were similar questions, the way they were worded meant they were asking different things, so I answered them differently. There was also one question that I skipped the first time because it was very confusing, and that was the only question I skipped during the review (and thus didn't answer). I took the MMPI about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'll probably give it another week before I call HR to see if I passed.

JAMISONB4

Feb 6, 2014
White Lake, MI
The thing is, while there were similar questions, the way they were worded meant they were asking different things, so I answered them differently. There was also one question that I skipped the first time because it was very confusing, and that was the only question I skipped during the review (and thus didn't answer). I took the MMPI about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'll probably give it another week before I call HR to see if I passed.
I actually did the same thing and am wondering if the "inconsistency" in my answers is why I have the honor of a tier 2. I wonder if they will tell me when I see the psychiatrist.

MikeTangoATC

Feb 25, 2015
I actually did the same thing and am wondering if the "inconsistency" in my answers is why I have the honor of a tier 2. I wonder if they will tell me when I see the psychiatrist.

He will for the most part. Most likely your answers were too good, which was my problem.

JAMISONB4

Feb 6, 2014
White Lake, MI
He will for the most part. Most likely your answers were too good, which was my problem.
Hahaha too good? I don't know about that. I answered honestly about past drinking habits and such. About how long did it take to get into your appt once they initially contacted you? I'm still waiting for my email.

MikeTangoATC

Feb 25, 2015
Hahaha too good? I don't know about that. I answered honestly about past drinking habits and such. About how long did it take to get into your appt once they initially contacted you? I'm still waiting for my email.

It was about a week until the regional medical POC contacted me. Then a month until the the appointment. That's on the long end to wait for an appt.
Then almost 3 months until cleared. Buckle up buttercup, its a long ride.

JAMISONB4

Feb 6, 2014
White Lake, MI
It was about a week until the regional medical POC contacted me. Then a month until the the appointment. That's on the long end to wait for an appt.
Then almost 3 months until cleared. Buckle up buttercup, its a long ride.
Yeah I've been told.......I just wanna get my part dealt with so I can sit back and stop obsessing over all this.

TangoBravo

Jun 14, 2012

The doc told me each and every question- that was in question. Most of them I just read wrong. Darn double negatives. Been waiting a little over 45 days now since DC received my packet.