Tier 2

RomeoDelta123

Newcomer
Oct 22, 2017
I see that a few other users have had to pay for their own psychological and psychiatric evaluations before being sent to an FAA consultant for a Tier 2 evaluation. Have any of you questioned why you had to pay for them when FAA Order 3930.3B clearly states that:

"An applicant pays no expense for agency required ATCS medical examinations for the purposeof determining whether he or she meets the medical standards in Appendix A of this Order."
AND
"In cases where psychological and psychiatric evaluations are required to determine if theapplicant is qualified, the agency will pay for those evaluations."

I inquired, but never received a response...

DandyRyan

Jan 6, 2017
They do pay for those upfront. Those are your initial medical and MMPI-2. After that, the cost is on you and they state so in the email they send asking for additional testing/information.

jkeis862

Rookie
Aug 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
They do pay for those upfront. Those are your initial medical and MMPI-2. After that, the cost is on you and they state so in the email they send asking for additional testing/information.
Yes this is true, in the email that I received asking for additonal documents due to medical it says, "FAA Order 3930.3B and FAA/NATCA 2009 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Article 66 'Medical Qualifications' agree that you are responsible for paying any fees involved in obtaining medical tests and/or documentation to support a special consideration, which also includes all transportation costs and expenses."

I don't know if it's different for MMPI Tier 2 but that's what it said for my Medical Tier 2.

Dhop26

Newcomer
Oct 26, 2016
Dec 2016- Tol
Jan 2017-Mmpi2/drug test
June 2017-Tier 2 notification
Jan 2018- tier 2 evan with psych
Today- notified their 2 cleared need to refresh drug test

Dhop26

Newcomer
Oct 26, 2016
Very vaguely. At my psych eval she told me my answer made me seem to adventurous (id like to skydive and some other things)and to have a problem with authority( trouble with the law ie speeding ticket, suspended from school). Got the all clear from everything june 7.. just 18 months after getting my TOL... rep said should get a list tonight or next week. Thank baby jesus

BPM31694

Mar 1, 2018
Dallas, TX
Very vaguely. At my psych eval she told me my answer made me seem to adventurous (id like to skydive and some other things)and to have a problem with authority( trouble with the law ie speeding ticket, suspended from school). Got the all clear from everything june 7.. just 18 months after getting my TOL... rep said should get a list tonight or next week. Thank baby jesus
Congrats! That's a hell of a wait .

HawaiiPilot1991

Aug 28, 2017
Hawaii
I haven't posted on here in a long time. Just as I was about to give up hope in this process, I got the call yesterday. I was cleared from tier 2! I did my drug screen refresher today. I was told the FAA should have it in 3 business days!

My timeline:

February 2014: OTS bid
April 2014: AT-SA
July 2014: 1st Tentative Offer TOL
August 2014: 1st Drug screen and MMPI-2
December 2014: put on hold due to military deployment
February 2015: while deployed was told I was put into tier 2
April 2016: 2nd Tentative Offer TOL
May 2016: 2nd MMPI-2 and 2nd Drug Screen
October 2016: Told I was tier 2 again
July 2017: contacted by Hope and scheduled my tier 2 evaluation
December 2017: contacted my congress women to get some help
January 2018: Congress women told me in a letter there was a mistake on my tier 2 eval I was given the wrong one
January 2018: took the correct MMPI-2 again and passed
June 2018: received a phone call stating I was cleared back in April and they wanted to know if I was interested still. I said YES!

Periculant

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2018
Got a request for me to fill out a SF-180 and submit it to NPRC (the request was to send my records directly from NPRC to the FAA). Called to confirm receipt at NPRC (ask about how that would work since NPRC is for "veterans" not active duty.)

Long story short if you get flagged for a teir 2 you will not be able to get your official records sent to the FAA until you have completed your service. It takes 2-3 Months from ETS for NPRC to get your records and 3-6 Months for them to process a request, and add that to any time it takes for the FAA to get to and look through your packet and you are easily looking at close to a year before you will progress to an FAA job.

I didn't read through all 143 pages on this forum page but... if anyone else has a different outlook or experience on this please advise.

fos

Rookie
Nov 8, 2017
Got a request for me to fill out a SF-180 and submit it to NPRC (the request was to send my records directly from NPRC to the FAA). Called to confirm receipt at NPRC (ask about how that would work since NPRC is for "veterans" not active duty.)

Long story short if you get flagged for a teir 2 you will not be able to get your official records sent to the FAA until you have completed your service. It takes 2-3 Months from ETS for NPRC to get your records and 3-6 Months for them to process a request, and add that to any time it takes for the FAA to get to and look through your packet and you are easily looking at close to a year before you will progress to an FAA job.
I didn't read through all 143 pages on this forum page but... if anyone else has a different outlook or experience on this please advise.
The National Archive place did not have my medical records and I've been out for three years. I found them myself still at my last duty station. (Army)

I would definitely not wait. I would request them now and throw them at your medical POC to get it going.