TOL question

Dbo29182

Newcomer
Feb 7, 2020
Hello,
I have been a DOD employee for almost 2 years where I have been an Electronic Technician. I just received a TOL for a ATSS position. The offer puts me maxed out at the F pay band.

I'm wondering if I would be able to negotiate my salary for a few thousand more and put me into the G band. My justification would be I have 18 years of electronics experience between being a bench technician troubleshooting down to component level and aircraft avionics. I also have a B.S. in computer information systems.

Is it a good idea to try to negotiate a higher salary and move up a pay band?

Thanks for any help

BigHorse

Feb 27, 2013
Yes, you can negotiate your salary BUT in this case it may not work into your favor because that would put you in another pay band; according to what you just posted.

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
Agreed. However, the promotions to G and H are non-competitive and achieved when you become certified on certain NAS systems that you will maintain. On average you should be an H within 2 years or sooner.

Scotter

Dbo29182

Newcomer
Feb 7, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I sent the HR rep an email asking for a higher salary. I'm just waiting to hear back.

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I sent the HR rep an email asking for a higher salary. I'm just waiting to hear back.
Just FYI, when I came on in 2010, I negotiated my start salary for 4K higher (which I got), but had to wait 2 more months to actually start. Like I mentioned before, the bumps to G and H usually happen quickly,

Scotter

Dbo29182

Newcomer
Feb 7, 2020
Thanks. The longer the better for me since I would have to move from the west coast to the east coast. That would allow my children to finish up the school year here also. Even if I don't get the bump in pay, I most likely will take the job. How do you like being an ATSS?

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
It's great. I was assigned to the Automation unit at ZFW working on all things scopes and computers. I am a retired Navy Avionics tech so there were many similarities in aircraft avionics (scopes and weapons systems computers) which made for an easy systems understanding. At the Center it is a 24/7/365 manning, and feast or famine for work. Basically if something fails, you're "Johnny on the spot" with a fix. But if there are no calls, you just occupy your time with system PMs and such.

Scotter

Dbo29182

Newcomer
Feb 7, 2020
It's great. I was assigned to the Automation unit at ZFW working on all things scopes and computers. I am a retired Navy Avionics tech so there were many similarities in aircraft avionics (scopes and weapons systems computers) which made for an easy systems understanding. At the Center it is a 24/7/365 manning, and feast or famine for work. Basically if something fails, you're "Johnny on the spot" with a fix. But if there are no calls, you just occupy your time with system PMs and such.

Scotter
Awesome, I'm hoping I am placed into automation. I also was an avionics tech when I was in the Air Force and currently still work with avionics as a Air Force civilian.
Do you remember how long after asking for a higher starting salary, you heard back from the hiring official?

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Awesome, I'm hoping I am placed into automation. I also was an avionics tech when I was in the Air Force and currently still work with avionics as a Air Force civilian.
Do you remember how long after asking for a higher starting salary, you heard back from the hiring official?
About 8 weeks, and I had not heard back so I actually called them. I got the 'ole "we were just getting ready to call you" - routine...

Scotter