Took AT-SAT Test Today - Worried!

ATCRecruit

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2009
Well I took the official AT-SAT test today with about 30 other people, however, I didn't do as well as I thought I would during the simulation part of the exam. During the Simulation tests about the highest score I could get was 33%. I know what I did wrong, I wasn't placing planes at different altitudes, instead I was worried about separating them all. I was wondering why I kept scoring so low and after the fact I realized that I wasn't efficient enough since I wasn't putting the planes and different altitudes on top of each other.

Anyway do you guys think I have no shot at all now to pass or no? I am very worried that I won't pass now. Does anyone know how the overall exam is scored? I think I did well on the other parts of the exam.

Thanks!

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
welcome to stuckmic...most people feel like they failed when the leave the test and end up with a good score. i wouldnt stress too much since theres really nothing you can do about it now...just wait and see and i'm sure you'll be suprised with the results

Last edited:

DTROP43

Newcomer
Oct 29, 2009
Los Angeles
Where did you take it? I also took mine today and am not feeling good about it. I was very confident going in but now not too much...

atp2atc

Feb 2, 2009
Boston, MA
I remember when i took it my scores were around the 70s and 80s and I scored a 99.3 on the ATSAT, so I don't know what those scores really mean with regards to your overall score.

Skeez057

Aug 23, 2008
I bombed on the air scenario section much like you did and knew what i did wrong after the fact. I still got above an 85%(well qualified). Got selected for a facility as well.. I wouldn't sweat it.. your going to learn how to be patient thru this process anyway.. I took my test in May of 07'. now i'm waiting for my academy start date which from what my hr told me will most likely be in March of 10'. So haaannnnng in there :p

ATCRecruit

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2009
I actually tested last week in Illinois.

I just got my test results back today online and scored a 78.4. I am happy that I passed, but am disappointed that I will only be in the 'Qualified' group. Should I be worried that I am not in the 'Well Qualified' group? Is anyone aware of how many they take from both groups?

Skeez, how long did you have to wait after your test for the next step in the process? I have a company interested in interviewing me for a position but I am much more interested in a career with the FAA.

Thanks!

illogical

Oct 4, 2008
orlando

I just got my test results back today online and scored a 78.4. I am happy that I passed, but am disappointed that I will only be in the 'Qualified' group. Should I be worried that I am not in the 'Well Qualified' group? Is anyone aware of how many they take from both groups?

Skeez, how long did you have to wait after your test for the next step in the process? I have a company interested in interviewing me for a position but I am much more interested in a career with the FAA.

Thanks!
ots no chance unless wq
cti decent chance

ATCRecruit

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2009
So they don't hire any "off the streeters" with a qualified score only?

I'm really disappointed then, I thought I would have some sort of a chance...

ChitownDmm

Rookie
Sep 7, 2009
Chicago

Thanks!
I just took the test today in Illinois... I didn't do too well on the Scenarios part either... How did you feel about the rest of the test though?!?! Do you feel you did well on everything else? I'm just nervous about the whole thing.. I actually did well with the altitudes with the scenarios, just had a lot of other errors!!! You passed though, and that's great! :)

ATCRecruit

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2009
Hi, to tell you the truth, when I left the test I didn't feel like I passed. I was really worried about my score. Now that I am qualified, I am happy I passed but it doesn't sound like they are taking anyone who scores under 90 which I find hard to believe especially considering the fact that a major percentage of current controllers will be retiring in the next few years, so why would they be limiting themselves?

Good luck!

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
uhhh edit...... Didn't see the last post.

Last edited:

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Im with lotsa other people. Right when I got done with the test I called my wife and was pretty pissed that I bombed it. I crashed 2 planes on the simulation and had NO idea what to do about some of the similies and analogies they throw at you at the end.

Got my score 3 weeks later and had to call to make sure it was right. 99.6%. Weird.

auxxiliary

Sep 2, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
Im with lotsa other people. Right when I got done with the test I called my wife and was pretty pissed that I bombed it. I crashed 2 planes on the simulation and had NO idea what to do about some of the similies and analogies they throw at you at the end.

Got my score 3 weeks later and had to call to make sure it was right. 99.6%. Weird.
And still got a 99.6%
you guys must of aced the rest of the test then?

socerplaye

May 12, 2009
Memphis, TN

Thanks!
ATC,

If you are just now taking the test, I would go ahead and interview for that position. What can it hurt? It's going to be a while most likely until you will make it to the Academy if you are selected. For instance, I took the test on 1/10/09 and am slated to start the Academy on 1/4/10. And it seems like the class dates aren't exactly rolling in. I know some people that are going to the same place that I am going and they've been told that they won't have a class date until next fall. So, definitely don't put your life on hold for ATC, at least not this early in the process. Good luck and I hope you get picked up!

Billy

socerplaye

May 12, 2009
Memphis, TN
And still got a 97?
I did the same thing. In the Jeremy Justice game, you could fly over the airports as long as you weren't at the landing altitude, and when I first started, I tried this and I guess it crashed, don't really remember. After that, I didn't do that and just tried to land or exit the planes as fast as possible. In the scenarios, all of my scores were in the 90's, except for one that was in the high 80's. I scored a 96.4.

Billy

boston

Oct 18, 2009
San Diego
OP: My efficiency ratings were 88,91,83, and 38, and my ATSAT score was 100. Don't sweat it, you're probably WQ. :)

boston

Oct 18, 2009
San Diego
ATC,

If you are just now taking the test, I would go ahead and interview for that position. What can it hurt? It's going to be a while most likely until you will make it to the Academy if you are selected. For instance, I took the test on 1/10/09 and am slated to start the Academy on 1/4/10. And it seems like the class dates aren't exactly rolling in. I know some people that are going to the same place that I am going and they've been told that they won't have a class date until next fall. So, definitely don't put your life on hold for ATC, at least not this early in the process. Good luck and I hope you get picked up!

Billy
Well said. Think of ATC as a plan B for whatever else you're trying to do right now, be it school or find a better job. In the unlikely event ATC pulls through, you bump it up to the front.

nwimike

Rookie
May 22, 2009
NW Indiana
Just took the AT-SAT today, and I was doing quite well on the 1st 2 ATC scenarios. I started off with an 85, and then I got a 100! After that, starting with the 3rd scenario, things really went downhill for me. They really bombard you with planes in the 3rd and 4th scenarios, especially planes that are landing. I'm pretty certain there were 12-14 planes on the screen at one point, and I somehow managed to crash a plane in the airport that pretty much came out of nowhere, and also crashed one into a wall, I do believe. I thought for sure my score on that one was going to be below 50%, but I still managed a 63.

The 4th scenario really puzzled me. It was essentially the same as the 3rd one, and I didn't crash a single plane, didn't have any problems with distance/elevation, got all my planes through the correct exits, and handoffs I thought I was pretty quick at. I just barely left 2 planes on the radar, both of which were about to land. I thought for certain I was heading for a score in the 90's, but it came back as a 75. The only thing I can think of that happened was that I slowed down the planes too quickly for the landings?

Oh well. Now comes a couple nervous days of waiting...followed by many, many more days of waiting.