Touring facilities your slated for

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
Any good bad or indifferent information of previous experiences of touring the facility you are slated to attend? Just curious cause I'm gonna regardless.

hotvedt

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2008
Re: Touring facilities your slated for ?

I'm going to as soon as I find out which one I am slotted for. What harm can it do as long as you give a decent first impression. And even if you don't odds are they will probably forget who you are by the time you get back anyway.

jermscentral

Mar 1, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I toured mine before I even had my class date and got to know some of the folks here; they then kept in touch with me and gave me pointers about what to expect and when with regard to class and getting to the facility. It's definitely beneficial, and I would encourage anyone to do it. Call the facility secretary, or if you have the number, call the FLM. Most people here call the tower, and we page the FLM to arrange tours. Speaking of, I have one to give now.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I never went, but I know it's not uncommon to have hopefuls come through.

I don't know if all facilities do them, but at ZAU we have something called "Operation Raincheck". It's a program mainly geared towards pilots to come to the center and see how ATC works. It's a couple hour program with information and tours of the facility. You'll get to go to the floor and plug in with someone working traffic while they explain things. Probably a good way to familiarize yourself with the facility and ATC in general if you have limited knowledge. The people doing the presentations are all active controllers so they can answer any questions you have.

We get big groups of pilots coming in on a regular basis(Recently I remember a large group of SWA pilots, then there was a "Women in Aviation" event with a bunch of professional female pilots), and sometimes we even provide food. It's free and anyone can sign up.

TimShady

Senior Analyst
Mar 12, 2009
Chicago
Agreed, although the situation changes a little when you know you will start your career at that facility.
This is true. I did my interview at MDW ad my interviewer mistakingly told me I was going to a different facility, I had no idea so it was fine with me. After the interview and tour I was on my way home and got an email from my interviewer saying he told me the wrong facility and that I was actually down for MDW and he looked forward to working with me.

I was like well that's great but if I had known it would have changed things, especially during the tour. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be back a couple times before I start.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Go do it. It's a nice way to meet a few people, if it you don't remember most of them (and most won't remember you). You'll also know what to expect and know your way around a little bit better than the other new guys.

bkoopman

Jan 9, 2011
Alpine, UT
Go do it. It's a nice way to meet a few people, if it you don't remember most of them (and most won't remember you). You'll also know what to expect and know your way around a little bit better than the other new guys.

I toured my facility which is only a 11 hour drive.(I have family in the area. going on tour was not my only reason for going there) It was a great learning experience and I also met a lot of people and how many things work. I even met Rosstafari.....

emillerslo

Aug 8, 2010
Agreed, although the situation changes a little when you know you will start your career at that facility.
All the more reason to visit before you actually get assigned. I visited my facility twice before I actually got picked up there, but they already know my name and I * think * I'm liked (don't get that mixed up with respected- fully aware of the fact that I have yet to earn their respect). Helps to go in with a good attitude and positive impression.

Edit: I should note that I've been selected and am leaving for the Academy soon.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
All the more reason to visit before you actually get assigned. I visited my facility twice before I actually got picked up there, but they already know my name and I * think * I'm liked (don't get that mixed up with respected- fully aware of the fact that I have yet to earn their respect). Helps to go in with a good attitude and positive impression.

Edit: I should note that I've been selected and am leaving for the Academy soon.
That makes two of us, see you there.