Tower Applied Vs Pilot in Class Delta Help

Hunterbramblett

Newcomer
Jun 4, 2018
I work at a heliport class D (two weeks from cto). When there is a h60 say mid field downwind and another h60 2 mike final for that same runway I’d like to use tower applied because I just need to issue control instructions as necessary to one, so I don’t have to get pilot applied conformation from both. So using the tower applied I would tell mid field downwind to extend downwind turn base to follow h60 2 mile final. That should be it. From what my facility tells me “traffic to one is traffic to both.” Do I need to tell final about the 60 extending or can I leave it at that because I know the separation is there?

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
You don't need both aircraft to acknowledge to use pilot applied sep. Just tell the h60 he's #2 and report #1 in sight. When he reports him, just clear him for whatever operation. Normally I would agree to the "traffic for 1 is traffic for 2", but not in the case of flow to a runway. I have people at my current facility that think it's necessary, but it's honestly a waste of air/a transmission. But to answer your question, no, the final traffic doesn't need to know about the guy in the dw that will follow.

klumetta

Newcomer
Oct 16, 2008
michigan
Traffic for one is traffic for the other, is an old wives tale! However, if your two weeks from recieving your CTO, traffic for one is! traffic for the other, at least for the next two weeks!

AlphaAlpha69

Rookie
Mar 29, 2015
New Mexico
Traffic for one is traffic for the other, is an old wives tale! However, if your two weeks from recieving your CTO, traffic for one is! traffic for the other, at least for the next two weeks!
Exactly the mindset needed. When you're working on someone else's ticket, you do as they want. Do whatever you want when your ticket is on the line.

ChefBryardee

Rookie
Jul 5, 2018
Fort Worth
While you're training, whatever your instructor says goes. I trained for 4 months getting my CTO, but I was ready about 3 months in; I was just waiting for my instructors to learn the difference between someone following the rules and someone not controlling like they would. That's always the worse part of training.

I would relay one to the other if I'm worried about runway separation, for the lead aircraft expediting landing rollout to get off the runway before the other full-stop behind him. But in this case, it's helo-to-helo. No issues.