Tower Class Study Materials

172PT

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2012
Long time fan of stuckmic, and figured it was time to give something back. Here's a bunch of stuff I collected while at the academy. Some of it's probably outdated now, but here it is anyway.

I don't claim ownership of all this stuff. Some of it was given to me by instructors, some was passed around by students, some was found on this site, and some I made myself. If you want to take it and modify it, great. If you find problems or mistakes, fix them yourself and upload it back on this site.

Here's what I got, in alphabetical order:

AAC Desktop Wallpaper - Made from the AAC map someone had already posted on this site. It's 1920x1080.
Academy Airport Maps - These were really helpful. Found them here on stuckmic. Lots of versions. If you've got illustrator, then you can open the PDFs and play with them. You can print them out at any scale, so you could make your own tabletop with them, like I saw some do.
Academy Posters - Pictures of some of the study aids posted on the walls at the academy.
FAA Academy Journal - I wrote this while at the academy, and I know some stuff has changed since then, but it might be helpful. It's a day to day account of the tower cab class. It's long, like 25 pages or something, but it's the kind of account I wish was on here before I went to the academy. It's not the greatest, so take it for what it's worth, but there's a lot of info in there.
Study - Academy Airport Introduction - Powerpoint explaining all about the academy airport layout, how the academy works, and how aircraft arrive. VERY HELPFUL for newbies like me. Also includes a list of all aircraft you'll see at the academy and the VFR abbreviations for the aircraft types. The powerpoints are in Office 2010 format, I had some issues getting it to work on my 2003 version of Powerpoint, but once I upgraded it worked fine. Same goes for all the rest of the powerpoints.
Study - Academy Map - This is meant to be used like a flash card. Turn on the presentation, and click through the answers to study with it. Not meant to be just printed out, but it can be.
Study - Academy Phraseology - This is nearly all of the phraseology you need to know to begin with at the academy. It outlines the preferred taxi routes, arrival procedures, and how they want you to say it. I think it's verbatim from an academy handout, except this one has illustrations, which make it way better!
Study - Wake Turbulence - Wake turbulence sucks, and this one isn't as clear as some of the others, but I'll add it here anyway.

Anyway, enjoy it FWIW. Good luck at the academy!

Attachments

redcup

May 17, 2011
Thank you very much for posting this. When did you attend the academy?

172PT

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2012
Last year, but from what I hear from friends of mine, they've changed some minor things. Nothing realy big, they change things there all the time, I just can't be sure all this stuff is still up to date. One day when I was there, they changed the policy on the separation between missed approaches vs divergent courses between every single scenario. They kept getting other higher ups who kept putting their word in, then they'd have to change the policy. Six times in one day! That's the gov't for you.

bigzachus

Newcomer
May 20, 2009
Congrats on being instrumental in helping to change the tower training program with this post!

foxtrotlimaalpha6

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2010
USA
Thanks so much!!! hate to ask for more considering what you've provided, but are these powerpoints available in anything else for those without powerpoint? And do you have any of the other study material such as for visiblity etc.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
I respect your desire to help and aid all new hires, I'd just be cautious on what you put online. I wouldn't of done it, but its kinda fun to watch someone else do it.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
I respect your desire to help and aid all new hires, I'd just be cautious on what you put online. I wouldn't of done it, but its kinda fun to watch someone else do it.
Agreed. Id hate to get in trouble for putting some academy materials online. Idk if you are over your 1 yr probation, if so, ehh, not really that bad. If you aren't though, you have huge balls.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
its his study aids, not copies of the tests. no balls needed.
They were very upfront about us not sharing our study materials with future classes or cti schools. I'm just sayin. Everything in the packet says academy all over it. It's really nice that he did it, but I wouldn't have until my year was up.

172PT

Newcomer
Apr 16, 2012
They were very upfront about us not sharing our study materials with future classes or cti schools. I'm just sayin. Everything in the packet says academy all over it. It's really nice that he did it, but I wouldn't have until my year was up.
Nobody ever told me not to share my own study materials. They said don't give out materials printed by the academy, or else I would have posted everything I received. They did say that all the materials at the academy (including the scenarios and sim problems) could be requested through the Freedom of Information Act, and several parties have done that. The only thing you can't get through the FOIA is the PV. There's nothing I put up here that isn't already known by the people at ERAU or UND or any of the other big schools with big budgets and fancy sims. Why not give the OTS kids a fighting chance?That said, I'd take it down in a heartbeat if they asked me to, though I don't think it's anything so special that they'd even care. So if there IS any FAA person who gets mad about this, just ask stuckmic to take it down and I'm sure they will, I'm not trying to start a fight, and I'm sure as heck not going to put my job on the line for some flash cards. But thanks for the concern y'all!

tovi447

Rookie
Mar 23, 2010
nobody ever told me not to share my own study materials. They said don't give out materials printed by the academy, or else i would have posted everything i received. They did say that all the materials at the academy (including the scenarios and sim problems) could be requested through the freedom of information act, and several parties have done that. The only thing you can't get through the foia is the pv. There's nothing i put up here that isn't already known by the people at erau or und or any of the other big schools with big budgets and fancy sims. Why not give the ots kids a fighting chance?that said, i'd take it down in a heartbeat if they asked me to, though i don't think it's anything so special that they'd even care. So if there is any faa person who gets mad about this, just ask stuckmic to take it down and i'm sure they will, i'm not trying to start a fight, and i'm sure as heck not going to put my job on the line for some flash cards. But thanks for the concern y'all!
100% agree!!!!

pghkid

Newcomer
Jan 9, 2012
It is an odd case. I asked an instructor (in basics) whether I could send a picture of one of the illustrations to a friend and the instructor's response was, "There is nothing classified in the books; you can do whatever you like with them once they're in your possession."
Despite this, it does say over the copiers at student services "Do not copy course materials".

ad1234

Rookie
Dec 8, 2011
You realize people got fired for takin pictures of some things at the academy right?