Tower classes cancelled?

FinalApproach

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
Midwest
Has anyone else been told that they are not scheduling tower classes at this time? Maybe I am out of the loop, but that was the information I was given. Has anyone been scheduled for an initial tower class in OKC recently? Thanks and good luck to all :)

CLEATCT2010

Oct 9, 2009
Ohio
atcontrol101.blogspot.com
Same here. I'm also moving just before I go to OKC and I only have enough money to pay rent/bills there through March (pending my tax return, maybe a little longer than that) and I've been waiting long enough. Although at this point I don't think they're going to cancel the class as I think there is only one more tower class to start before the 13th (I think a class starts on the 4th). Could be wrong, may be a class (or two at the most) that start later this month too.

They can't cancel everything... lol!

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
My son's class that was scheduled for 1-20-09 was also cancelled. So I sent a letter to my senator from Illinois, Senator Dick Durbin, who I expect has the ear of our president who is also from Illinois.
See the link and write to your senators.
I wouldn't expect much to come out of that. Training of new controllers is of trivial interest to a Congressmember -- it's highly specialized and they don't know a thing about it, nor do they have control over "technical issues", so to speak. Cutbacks are happening in every sector of government, from local to federal, and besides, the issue is as much of a lack of trainers as it is a lack of money.

Not saying that the FAA hasn't screwed up all sorts of stuff on this process, but a handful of canceled classes during an economic crisis isn't going to be starting any Congressional inquiries.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
while I was there a few months ago they had brand new simulators put in that were supposed to be up and running... the FAA apparently didnt like the way the voice recognition was going and decided to not "accept" them.

Im sure they were projecting training classes off of these new simulators which they now do not have use of. That could be a big reason they are cutting back on tower training at OKC.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Don't forget their end of year report indicated Retirements and Training attrition are well below projection (-29% / -17%, respectively).

That's pretty significant.

futureatc1515

Rookie
Aug 13, 2008
chicago
im at the academy now and talked to my instructors about this it has more to do with the budget and the backup for rtf training. many people are just sitting around there facilities because there is either not enough people to train them or controllers are not retiring because the pay scale is increasing and they want to make it up for their retirement. i waited 18 months and finally made it here while some people made it here in as little as 8 months. all u can do is wait it out and hope for the best. good luck to everyone

Irish

Rookie
May 8, 2009
Ohio
Has anyone else been told that they are not scheduling tower classes at this time? Maybe I am out of the loop, but that was the information I was given. Has anyone been scheduled for an initial tower class in OKC recently? Thanks and good luck to all :)
The Feb 17th Tower Class I was supposed to be in was cancelled. I now have a Tower Class Date of March 8th.

NYTWR9

Rookie
Nov 15, 2009
Long Island, New York
kaudbron, thats pretty crazy that they let you know your class was postponed just 3 weeks before you were supposed to head down there. i still havent given my resignation to my job for this reason after seeing what you and a lot of other people have gone through on this board. i think id rather risk getting a bad reference than give my 2 weeks and have no job at all in the end... goodluck man

n9nuq4

Newcomer
Dec 9, 2009
Do not take the power of the pen and congressional inquire likely. My son leaves in July although he had to transfer to another region.