Tower PV Discussion

ysj2482

Rookie
Dec 13, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Tower PV

If you wind up going to a tower with a dedicated approach control but separated staffing (like mine or apparently like Orlando is now) you should get in-house radar training (I base this off my experience here).

How did they change the lesson scenarios? Modified them or straight up made new ones?

gear_goes_down

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2008

They have changed them. Our Instructors are doing them for the first time with our class. They have done a few of them on there own, but not all. The table tops and 3D's are the same but the TSS and EDS are different. Scenario 11 apparently has some where around 50 aircraft in 35 min's with 4 of them continuous touch and go! (or something like that) Our instructors said good luck and have fun with that one!

ysj2482

Rookie
Dec 13, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Scenario 11! Also known as the "Humbler!" That problem was damn fun! It left a mark on a few of my classmates though! Very busy problem, but if you keep the picture, know what technique to use and when, and keep a good priority of transmissions, you should make it through with only a few minor bumps and scrapes! They might be changing the scenarios, but the humbler is the humbler! Just have fun with that one. You should have one more day of running after 11 before the PV which will be almost like the PV but not quite. By the time you get to the big day, you'll walk out of that thing saying "damn that was easy!"

Advice on Getting Through Scenario 11 "The Humbler:"

Bend over and kiss you're ass goodbye!

Got_Busa

Rookie
Nov 6, 2008
Houston TX

I'll hold my tongue on what I think about the PV but....

It's not the traffic or workload that's the problem doing these PV's, that's all easy. It's whether or not your voice is compatible with the recognition software. If you have a good PV pilot that pays attention and listens to what you say (and fixes the computer), things will go smooth. If you have a ghost pilot that's two steps behind the power curve then you are at the mercy of the errors generated by what the system "thinks you said"...

Just take your time, speak clearly, and you'll have no problem. It's when the computer stores what you said and you have to go back and fix the incorrect read backs. That's when the entire problem snowballs based on one or two minor things...

etmaul

Newcomer
Nov 7, 2008
Peoria, IL

Here's my take on the PV, just took at on January 16-17:

-The scenario is a lot slower than the last one you run (#11)

-Take your VFR intersection departures to the left side

-You will have 16 departures, do your best to get them out, at least one

-IMO, stick to the timers for wake turbulence, and don't forget to hit them

-You'll have a bunch of twins mixed in with touch and go's, fairly simple

-Listen to readbacks, can't stress that enough

-Scan the runways as much as you can

-Get the vehicle across as quick as possible, find an opening and do it fast

Overall, don't let your nerves get to you. I was a wreck up until the day of PV, but once I started, I was relaxed and it was simple.

Good Luck!

sooneratc

Rookie
Nov 21, 2008

8) Watch your wake turbulence, and USE YOUR TIMERS! Yes, you can use radar distance in lieu of timers at your facility, but not in Academy land.
Since when can you not use radar miles instead of timers at AAC? I've been using radar separation since the beginning and haven't had instructors say anything (they encouraged it, in fact). Is this a PV thing they briefed you on?

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert

Advice on Getting Through Scenario 11 "The Humbler:"

Bend over and kiss you're ass goodbye!

As one of our basic's instructors said in true Oklahoman fashion:

"If you see two ghost pilots, you're fixin' for an ass-whoopin' that day."

sooneratc

Rookie
Nov 21, 2008

As one of our basic's instructors said in true Oklahoman fashion:

"If you see two ghost pilots, you're fixin' for an ass-whoopin' that day."
LOL...however, I didn't really think problem 11 was TOO bad. It was certainly the busiest, but not unmanageable. The old "humbler" problem was probably much worse.

Tomorrow we start PVs...keep us in your prayers! :)

GQ007

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
NYC

Yeah the "humbler" wasn't bad at all, on the other hand the D-BRITE OTS problem was the most challenging (specifically 90 seconds after the D-BRITE comes back online :D)....PV time!!!

Bootheelbirdfan

Newcomer
Oct 15, 2008
Cape Girardeau, Missouri

We were just told yesterday that they are getting new problems for the PV and that our class would probably be either the first or second to take them in April. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Aaron

atc312501

Rookie
Oct 20, 2008
Mustang, OK

My class PV's on thurs and friday this week, I was informed by the class that just finished before us on Monday that the new PV scenarios start after us, as in we are the last class with the previous PV setup, soooo... good luck to all... I was told it was upwards of 6 rotating scenarios for the PV... No need to fret tho... And just to add to some of the previous posts on this thread... scenario 12 is the humbler now, 56 operations, scenario 13 has 43... Steppin it down before the big dance!

CrisAlly2007

Newcomer
Oct 12, 2008

Well so far, BoomerSooner...you're losing. :) Everyone passed yesterday...including me on local!!! We'll see how today goes.