Tracon school study material

ROMA

Sep 24, 2008
Queens, NY
if you're VRA or CTI then you should already know everything they're going to teach in ITR, in fact you'll just use it as a refresher... the only new things to learn are the phraseology for all the approaches & departures for all the airports in "academy land"

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Just a quick note... we haven't really discussed this yet as StuckMic staff, but I wouldn't count on actual Academy material being posted up here. Every time it's been put up on a blog, the FAA has asked the poster to remove it shortly thereafter.

You could always check the library for some of the test prep books. I don't know how good any are, but there were two or three floating around when I looked in Austin's system.

DFWLVR

Jan 7, 2009
Arlington, Republic of Texas
There is no need to prep yourself for RTF....study your basic phraseology. Phraseology, phraseology, phraseology.....the other stuff like fixes, gates, and LOA's can be taught. Come to RTF with good phraseology and leave the learning to labs and part tasking.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
b2c I THINK you are VRA... therefore the only thing you need to study is where to get the best deal on booze.

RTF is easy. 1 airway, 5 freq's (plus an weather freq i think) (no UHF, no twr's)... zzzz. I still have all my material from class, but A: im on probationary, and b: it cost me more to send it, than you would get out of it.

EASY

AirborneJFO

Aug 9, 2009
Westbury, NY
Oh yeah, don't have a nervous speech impediment when it comes to radio procedures. Chances are your interview and screenings would've picked that up though.

Mar 5, 2009
Boulder, Colorado
The only thing that you take from the Academy to your facility is the phraseology. Everything else that you learn in RTF you MUST FORGET. That's the first thing I was told on my first day at my facility.

As for the TRACON study material, don't worry about it. The airspace is super easy to learn and you'll have most of it down in 1-2 days (the first couple of days of ITR). After that, it's just polishing your LOAs and SOPs. Absolutely no need to worry.