Train dispatcher bnsf

krazynavybiker

Newcomer
Jul 31, 2014
I plan to apply for the school on Jan. 5th when they open back up. What are the chances of me getting into the March class? Also, I like to pre-game any classes or schools that I go to, is there any material I can go over before I even start? Before I went to ATC school for the Navy I had about 8 months to study the 7110.65 and pick controllers brains.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
I plan to apply for the school on Jan. 5th when they open back up. What are the chances of me getting into the March class? Also, I like to pre-game any classes or schools that I go to, is there any material I can go over before I even start? Before I went to ATC school for the Navy I had about 8 months to study the 7110.65 and pick controllers brains.
I interviewed in mid November and got accepted into the March class because both January classes were full. Since I got accepted I've been moved to the first January class due to people dropping out and things. I wouldn't think you could get into March that quick. Seems like you would get into maybe the April class or so. You can email the lady at TCC and ask her which classes are still open and she will tell you, she has been very open with me.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
Just to put it in perspective for you. I initially applied for the program back in late August. I waited a few weeks and was notified to take the aptitude test. It took me a few weeks to hear the results from that. Once I got the results it was a few more weeks to get the interview.

nick3

Rookie
Feb 7, 2013
Unless it's changed, you still get the funds the last few weeks while taking the road trips but you pay for the hotels out of pocket, get paid back later once an employee. Its alot easier to deal with the schedule if the wife stays at home if you can afford to. As far as studying stuff in advance of the class, I would just try to memorize the vocabulary. It'll most likely be on every test in some way. There's an app thats a data base of a bunch of study material from different things, that helped alot of people. I just can't remember what it is.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
What is the typical schedule like te last 5 weeks? I know we will spend time on a train and up at BNSF headquarters. How many time or days are you riding a train and where do you go? And how many days are you up at headquarters? Also, are there still tests those weeks since you aren't really in class all that much?

nick3

Rookie
Feb 7, 2013
If your staying in Fort Worth or going to California you will observe in Fort worth for a week and do your week of riding trains out of fort Worth as well. Going to Oklahoma, abilene. If your going to spring or kansas you will observe there and start your train ride there. I don't know where spring goes, KC goes to emporia or wellington. You could be on a train for 6 hours one day and 13 the next. Bring a lunch box and food/snacks you can eat on the fly. You do take acouple small test the last few days but nothing crazy.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
What is the frequency payout of the scholarship? Typically every other week? Twice a month? How much was the average payout? I know it's $150 a day, but how many paid days do you get for each pay out?

nick3

Rookie
Feb 7, 2013
It's hit or miss. Don't expect anything for the first couple weeks to a month. They submit your attendance to the school which sends it to the company that releases the funds. So I would say once they get into a flow after the 1st submission, I think it was every two and a half weeks we would get something. And you don't pay taxes so you get that 10/12ish days straight up.

Motiv8tion4u

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2015
This forum has been very helpful! The posts have been great. I have an interview on January 21st. I am so nervous. Any pointers? I hear there is a test to take on following instructions? I have been studying GCOR vocabulary on Quizlet, which has also been helpful, for anyone waiting to start class. Any additional info will be very much appreciated!!

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
This forum has been very helpful! The posts have been great. I have an interview on January 21st. I am so nervous. Any pointers? I hear there is a test to take on following instructions? I have been studying GCOR vocabulary on Quizlet, which has also been helpful, for anyone waiting to start class. Any additional info will be very much appreciated!!
You have an interview on January 21st? Sounds like that's the 3 person panel interview. I had mine back in November. I got selected, and start class on January 12th. The only test I did was the dispatcher aptitude test. I'll give you pointers on the interview if you still want it.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
It's hit or miss. Don't expect anything for the first couple weeks to a month. They submit your attendance to the school which sends it to the company that releases the funds. So I would say once they get into a flow after the 1st submission, I think it was every two and a half weeks we would get something. And you don't pay taxes so you get that 10/12ish days straight up.
Nick3, hopefully this will be the last question. Do you know when health benefits kick in? Is it the first day of the month after you start? Surely it does not start after you do your 60 solo shifts.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
Yes! Thank you!!
Im not sure if everyone else's interview tone was the same, but mine seemed somewhat tense. They did not do any small talk or anything. They were all nice, just no chit chat. There were two BNSF guys there and 1 BNSF HR lady in the interview. I showed up about 20 minutes early and they were waiting for me, and the interview started immediately. They asked to give a little background on yourself, and then ask a ton of legal questions like "have you ever had a speeding ticket in the last seven years", "do you have felonies or misdemeanors"... Stuff like that. Then came the interview questions. The questions are all asked off of an interview guide. all of the questions are in the format of "tell me about a time this happened...". I would recommend being specific with your answers like using names and dates.

hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions. The people on here have been very helpful with me.

Motiv8tion4u

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2015
Thanks!!
Im not sure if everyone else's interview tone was the same, but mine seemed somewhat tense. They did not do any small talk or anything. They were all nice, just no chit chat. There were two BNSF guys there and 1 BNSF HR lady in the interview. I showed up about 20 minutes early and they were waiting for me, and the interview started immediately. They asked to give a little background on yourself, and then ask a ton of legal questions like "have you ever had a speeding ticket in the last seven years", "do you have felonies or misdemeanors"... Stuff like that. Then came the interview questions. The questions are all asked off of an interview guide. all of the questions are in the format of "tell me about a time this happened...". I would recommend being specific with your answers like using names and dates.

hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions. The people on here have been very helpful with me.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
About to start class. Does anyone out there know, or heard anything, on how many people each office will need this go around? I have heard that the Fort Worth office is short about 30 dispatcher, and didn't know if that means that this upcoming class will stay in Fort Worth?

Dcowboys09

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2015
Its definitely not challenging. I'd put it in the easy category. Definitely different though. Don't forget; BNSF stand for Better Not Start a Family.
I have an interview on January 21st in KC MO. What did you guys wear dress code wise for orientation and the interview process? I don't want to over/under dress.

Thank you so much!!

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
I have an interview on January 21st in KC MO. What did you guys wear dress code wise for orientation and the interview process? I don't want to over/under dress.

Thank you so much!!
I wore a charcoal gray suit with a tie. I was advised that's what would be best by a friend that works at BNSF. I also brought a portfolio to take notes in and such.

Dcowboys09

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2015
Thank you for the advice. How was the orientation? Are you currently a dispatcher? How well do you like it?