Train dispatcher bnsf

Dcowboys09

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2015
Weird. I passed the aptitude test back in December and just got an email notifying me of my orientation on January 21st in KS Missouri from 8 am until 5 pm with the interview to follow.

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
Weird. I passed the aptitude test back in December and just got an email notifying me of my orientation on January 21st in KS Missouri from 8 am until 5 pm with the interview to follow.
Interesting. Maybe they don't so orientations and things of that nature for people that are from the DFW area like I am?

Dcowboys09

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2015
Interesting. Maybe they don't so orientations and things of that nature for people that are from the DFW area like I am?
How was your first day of class? Can anyone on here recommend some long term hotels or decent apartments fairly close to TCC?

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
How was your first day of class? Can anyone on here recommend some long term hotels or decent apartments fairly close to TCC?
First day of class was great! We were there the full day. And I can recommend some places close because I here, but I beleive Terri will supply you a list of places where you may get a discount.

Dcowboys09

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2015
Awesome! Thank you! Hopefully my interview goes well and I make it down there! I'm originally from Nebraska so I'll need a temporary place for a bit until I get placed somewhere where I can bring my wife and kids down! I'd be happy with Fort Worth! I'm a huge Cowboys fan!

Dcowboys09

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2015
Just to put it in perspective for you. I initially applied for the program back in late August. I waited a few weeks and was notified to take the aptitude test. It took me a few weeks to hear the results from that. Once I got the results it was a few more weeks to get the interview.
Sorry for all the questions.... But how long after the interview was it before you found out if you were selected for a class at TCC?

bhorton1133

Newcomer
Aug 1, 2014
Houston, TX
Yes Terri has a few places that give great rates for those who are staying nearby. There is a candlewood suites close by. I know one of the guys in my class stayed in that one, gave him a cheap rate as well. Just tell them you're going to be in the bnsf dispatching program at tcc and I think you'll get a good rate.

nick3

Rookie
Feb 7, 2013
Medical coverage starts the 1st of the month after you start. Dental and vision doesn't start until your one year in frI'm official start date.

Dcowboys09

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2015
I got my news this morning!!! I'll be in the March class that starts March 9th. Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to answer all of my questions! You guys Rock!!

Ltn209

Rookie
Dec 7, 2014
Medical coverage starts the 1st of the month after you start. Dental and vision doesn't start until your one year in frI'm official start date.
How difficult is the midterm? Ours is a few weeks away, and I'm just curious if there are any pointers on what to study.

bhorton1133

Newcomer
Aug 1, 2014
Houston, TX
The teachers have packets for both part 1 and part 2. Most of the test is on those study guides. If you look at the chapters listed and can complete the written without effort you're good
Also, know your verbiage of rules for part 1....it's important. :)

JThorpe7

Rookie
Aug 22, 2012
While attending the school in Fort Worth I heard they pay you $150 a day. Is that 7 or 5 days a week?

nick3

Rookie
Feb 7, 2013
How difficult is the midterm? Ours is a few weeks away, and I'm just curious if there are any pointers on what to study.
I used those study guides and the quizlet app. Just memorize that and you'll be fine. Sounds crazy but don't try to learn it %100. Learn it enough to answer questions at your final interview but memorize the stuff for the test.

R3D_302

Newcomer
Feb 5, 2015
I will also be in the March 9th class... Anyone interested in a place to stay during training at TCC and beyond feel free to contact me. I have a house 5-10 min from TCC and live very close to BNSF HQ. I'm a single male 33yrs old, new 2050sq ft house, two rooms available for rent either short or long term. I'm clean, house is furnished besides spare rooms, no animals currently but open to dogs.

Anyone interested In the house or just general info about the area please feel free to contact me.

Shiftat9k

Newcomer
Apr 4, 2012
Well I'm aging out this year and still have not been picked up by the FAA, I've been trying for 5 years. Looking for a new career path. I've gone through this whole thread and didn't see this anywhere, if I missed it my appalogies. How long is one on the extra board? Seems tough to be on call all the time and have 2hrs to arrive to work. seems like one can't do much on their days off. Thanks for any insite.

nick3

Rookie
Feb 7, 2013
Depends, timing is everything though. Could be 6 to 8 months if your lucky or it could be 2 years. I bid the hardest job in the office just to get a set schedule. I was at 9 or 10 months. Some guys like the extra board and have been on it for 5 years. And the 2 hour calls rarely happen for us. Thats more along the engineers and conductors. If you have any more questions, pm me