Transfer Pay Question

jamie10584

Feb 17, 2009
When you transfer as a CPC, how does pay work? Say you are at a level 5 going to a level 10, what would your pay be when you get to your new facility?
Thanks!

Doug Church

Director of Communications
Sep 8, 2009
Washington, D.C.
www.natca.org
This is a question best handled by your local facility representative and not here on this public forum. Are you a NATCA member? If so and need help contacting your rep, either at the facility you are at or the facility you wish to transfer to, please email me at dchurch@natcadc.org.

-Doug

purpletw

Trusted Member
Dec 14, 2010
Can you go from a level 5 to a level 10? I thought if you transfer it has to be within 3 levels.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Case in point the shit ton of lvl 7 hires errs we have here (12), who all are marginally skilled

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Not looking for actual numbers but is it half the pay difference on day 1 and the other half when you fully certify or do you go to the bottom of the new CPC band at day 1? I've heard both answers lately.

jamie10584

Feb 17, 2009
Not looking for actual numbers but is it half the pay difference on day 1 and the other half when you fully certify or do you go to the bottom of the new CPC band at day 1? I've heard both answers lately.
Yep, I heard both those too, which is why I asked. I don't need specifics, if anyone has this answer.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Contract says 50% on the go, 50% on certification. I'll dig up the article here in a minute.

===============
Article 108, pg. 223

Section 6. Transfer Pay Setting
A. CPC Transfer: Once a controller has achieved CPC status in the first terminal/en route facility, that status is permanent. For a CPC, pay is set as follows:

1. Upon transfer to a higher ATC Level Facility, Basic Pay is increased to the minimum of the new CPC pay band, or is increased by six percent (6%), whichever is greater, not to exceed the new band maximum, for transfers to a higher level facility up to the level 10 facility. Employees transferring to level 11 or 12 facilities from a level 4 through 10 facility, Basic Pay is increased to the minimum of the new CPC pay band or is increased by eight percent (8%), whichever is greater, not to exceed the new band maximum.
Same Article, and Section:

3. One-half (1/2) of the increase is paid upon initial transfer to the new facility; the other one-half (1/2) is paid when fully certified in the new facility. If the employee’s current Basic Pay is above the pay band maximum at the new facility, the employee retains his/ her pay with no additional increase to Basic Pay.
Red Book Link

cforst513

Nov 8, 2009
ZOB
What about the other way? Transferring from a 12 to an 8? Does your pay stay locked at the 12 level until the level 8 pay catches up?

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
You transfer at basic pay (non locality). So lvl 12 basic bot is like 103... Lvl 8 payband is max at 99?
So you will transfer and lose 4g from the start... More so if they have lower cip/locality.

You also are at max payband, so unless they raise the cap... Don't expect a raise (at least salary figure wise), so that's bad for retirement.

I was looking at a 9... Didn't have cip, and 10% less locality. Then it got downgraded to an 8. Just way too many pay cuts

cforst513

Nov 8, 2009
ZOB
So if I was a 5 yr CPC at an enroute level 12, and switched to an 8 up/down, would I go to the year 5 payband or go all the way back to year 1?

Also without a CTO, how is the FAA about allowing transfers and sending folks to OKC to get their CTO? I'm still very new and don't know how stuff like this operates.

cforst513

Nov 8, 2009
ZOB
Oh. Think I see what you are saying. Max pay at an 8 is $99K. So is there anyway to get above that number for base salary? You said don't expect a raise. For how long? Permanently?

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
I believe, if you are maxed payband, you get half applied to your salary, and half in cash... Hopefully someone can verify this.

So you can still get a little raise, but if the pay bands don't increase for a long time, your coworkers will catch you base pay wise, and you won't be adding to your high 3 like if you stayed at a 10+ facility.

igeek

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008
I have a question this is the situation I have right now..

I'm at a Level 7 that got downgraded to a Level 6 in January..
I save pay for 2years from what I understand If I stay at the now Level 6 for 2years.

So what happens to my base pay when I transfer to a Level 7 (that was prob downgraded from an 8)?

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
I have a question this is the situation I have right now..

I'm at a Level 7 that got downgraded to a Level 6 in January..
I save pay for 2years from what I understand If I stay at the now Level 6 for 2years.

So what happens to my base pay when I transfer to a Level 7 (that was prob downgraded from an 8)?
what people need to remember is your basic pay is all that matters. when you leave your downgraded 6 facility (yet still getting 7 pay for 2 years) you will move to the new band the day you transfer. if you leave within the 2 year grace period then your basic pay will be what you make. if your basic pay falls within the new level your transferring to then your pay stays the same. even after the two years of your downgrade "save pay" status you will still be within the 6 band so your pay will not change.

if ever you basic pay falls within the new band then you will stay at that pay. you won't go down in pay if you transfer to a lower level, as long as your pay falls into the new lower band.

there are situations that you will make more than your current basic pay upon transfer to a higher or lower level even though your basic pay falls within the new pay band.
  1. locality increase
  2. 1/2 on the go, 1/2 on checkout (usually for upgrades)
  3. CIP
  4. manager incentives
  5. move money
  6. etc

igeek

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008
what people need to remember is your basic pay is all that matters. when you leave your downgraded 6 facility (yet still getting 7 pay for 2 years) you will move to the new band the day you transfer. if you leave within the 2 year grace period then your basic pay will be what you make. if your basic pay falls within the new level your transferring to then your pay stays the same. even after the two years of your downgrade "save pay" status you will still be within the 6 band so your pay will not change.

if ever you basic pay falls within the new band then you will stay at that pay. you won't go down in pay if you transfer to a lower level, as long as your pay falls into the new lower band.

there are situations that you will make more than your current basic pay upon transfer to a higher or lower level even though your basic pay falls within the new pay band.
  1. locality increase
  2. 1/2 on the go, 1/2 on checkout (usually for upgrades)
  3. CIP
  4. manager incentives
  5. move money
  6. etc
Maybe I misunderstood the Red Book contract but I thought you either got 1/2 on the go or 6% on a transfer (whichever is greater) to a higher level facility.

If I stayed at my now Level 6 then in two years I would be offically in the Level 6 band.. so how would transfering to a Level 7 not include the 6% raise per the Red Book contract?

Does anyone know when or if the FAA will re evaluate all the downgraded facilites?

Last edited: