Transferring Facilities?

gear_goes_down

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2008
I will be going to a Pepc this month and have a question. I have been selected for one state and they have not yet told me what city yet. If I get hired for this state would it be easy to transfer to other facilities out side the state? When I originally applied I did not want to move because I just bought my first house. Now I think I would be up for moving and would like to try and get a bigger facility, like a level 11 or 12. Something like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, or Minneapolis.

Is there any hope or just stick with whatever they give me, get trained then bid else where?

Mr.Texas

Mod
Jun 15, 2008
Depending on your experience get cpc'd and put in a err or apply to an open bid at one of those facilities of your choice. Those facilities are 11's and 12's for a reason though, keep that in mind.

zabnut

Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I would not take a job offer for any place I was not happy with staying at for at least several years (5-10 years). You hear of people quitting and hoping to get rehired where they wanted to go in the first place in order to move. All those places you listed with the exception of Minneapolis are hurting for people. I can't see how you could not get a job in any of those places.

zabnut

Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
Not every facility is hurting for people. The real fact is Minneapolis Center is overstaffed from all the Mark's school students hardshipping back there when that was almost our sole source of new hires. Most every other facilitites are hurting, some worse than others and only 1 or 2 in the entire nation that is decently staffed. I have to wonder how Minneapolis Center is hiding their 1-3 hour Time on position per day from CruX or are they showing themselves always on position like our ZAB Supes? You don't go from "Page me back when you need me, 2 hour+ breaks" to short staffed in less than 2 years. They have one of the lowest training rates, lowest TOP and one of the lowest deal rates in the lower 48 for any center...wonder if that is all connected somehow?

CPC=Certified Professional Controller

ERR I assume is emergency relocation request. Not a FAA term. The FAA calls those requests Hardships. Our people that are just bidding for other locations are getting release dates later than 2015. Even promotions are not getting release dates that are reasonable.

Again, Bid for where you want to go or deal with the situation you end up in. You are about to enter employment with an employeer that considers your happiness pretty low in the scheme of things.

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas
ERR is an FAA term it is an Employee Relocation Request. NonTract page 93 Section 9.

Hardship is different... NonTract page 166 Article 99.

zabnut

Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I stand corrected. I never read the "White book" from cover to cover and never will. Our local management does not follow it anyhow and makes up rules as they go along so I figure it is more of a "guideline".

shaight

Jun 22, 2008
Glencoe CA
ERRs are not guaranteed transfers. Try getting out of Oakland Center (Alcatraz Center). I have been here 3 years, been trying to get out for three years and still don't have a release date.

Towerboss

Future Former Controller
Jun 14, 2008
Houston, Texas
ERR are not guaranteed transfers but if things work out right and you aren't in Alcatraz ARTCC then you might have a chance.

Mr. Texas I'm in the same boat as you.