Trumps Air Traffic Control Initiative

Kazansky22

Rookie
Jul 25, 2009
Shuster's bill has advanced out of committee. On to the House to see if it gets scheduled for a vote.

The Senate's clean, no privatization, FAA Reauthorization goes for committee markup tomorrow.
Even the sound of the name Shuster, makes me imagine a crook.

Bogier6

Jul 9, 2010
We went from 2 seats of 9, down to 1 of 13. Why have air traffic representatives on the air traffic corporation board, that would be dumb......

Bogier6

Jul 9, 2010
Ahh thought the first bill they introduced had two seats. Either way it's less of a vote. How many air traffic controller representatives are on SWA or UAL executive boards?

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
HR 2997 is on this weeks calendar for consideration in the House.

If you are opposed to this, now is the time to call your House Rep's office. Either local or D.C. At this late stage call volume on issues makes more of an impact than emails and letters.

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
Anyone else digging these NATCA propaganda videos on facebook as much as I am? Do they really think the entire workforce is that pliable and mindless that we'd see some bullshit clip on facebook and go "you know what, this is actually a great idea! I'm on board now!"

they really do think we are all a bunch of sheep.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
Anyone else digging these NATCA propaganda videos on facebook as much as I am? Do they really think the entire workforce is that pliable and mindless that we'd see some bullshit clip on facebook and go "you know what, this is actually a great idea! I'm on board now!"

they really do think we are all a bunch of sheep.
Not to mention it looks terrible from the outside looking in. Whoever's running the account gets in these snarky arguments with concerned union members in the comments. Talk about :p:p:p:p:p:p:p up a unified front. It would be insane to think Schuster and his cronies wouldn't capitalize on this disarray. Anyone in congress could take a look at Facebook and see what a shitshow this is.

If I weren't following this as closely as I am, I would still be scratching my head wondering why a union is more concerned about the well being of the employer than the employees.

Last edited:

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
I've found the back and forth hilarious. NATCA clearly supports this bill, but the moment Southwest and others put out information in support of the bill by throwing us under the bus saying our outdated equipment causes delays, NATCA then launches a counter campaign against that logic pointing out the actual cause of delays. It's a comedy man, it really is.

Gusher405

Rookie
Aug 6, 2015
maybe I spoke too soon, but they are at the table with Shuster.
http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Delta-softens-stance-against-air-traffic-control-privatization

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
maybe I spoke too soon, but they are at the table with Shuster.
http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Delta-softens-stance-against-air-traffic-control-privatization
Yeah, Delta didn't go as far as NATCA and fully endorse 2997. They just said they are willing to talk. But since the legislation is drafted and scheduled for a vote, the time for talking is over. It's time to blow up phone lines and rally opposition. If we don't get 2997 defeated on the floor we have to hope the Senate holds the line in conference committee and that's a crap shoot.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
If you live in a district or state with a member of the House or Senate Appropriations Committees, call them and ask their opinion.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
If I weren't following this as closely as I am, I would still be scratching my head wondering why a union is more concerned about the well being of the employer than the employees.
But luckily, you are following this closely, and so you understand how pivotal a stable funding stream will be for us and everything we do.

Oh look, we keep falling behind on satellite target data presentation. Whoops. Looks like we just lost some or all of our oceanic airspace to Nav Canada and their subsidiary that's been developing the technology. Guess those controllers had better find some radar jobs elsewhere in the building. And look, Micro-EARTS just shit the bed on Guam and the other out-of-the-way locations that use it. Nav Canada to the rescue. Well, maybe.

And I'd really like to move somewhere else in the agency, and the only thing that will make that happen is more Academy graduates entering training somewhere and certifying. But unfortunately no one teaches at the Academy unless a budget has been approved, and we just delayed our umpteenth class for the umpteenth time because somebody in the Senate wanted to make a point about the lives of the unborn. Guess my career progression will just have to wait a few more months. Thank God I have NATCA to blame for it all.

There is no situation in which haphazard, stop-and-go funding for the organization is not felt by us and our customers. We don't need privatization to solve this problem (e.g., FAA spending moves off-budget with an indefinite right to collect ticket and fuel taxes, everywhere in America stops voting for the Republican Party), but that's not up to us.

Last edited:

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
2997 has dropped of the floor schedule for this week. Reportedly because this morning's whip count was dozens of votes short of Friday's whip count. Still room for it to be added back in on Thursday.

Keeping the pressure on with phone calls regardless.

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
This is not going anywhere - there aren't nearly enough Senate Republicans who are on board with this bill to go forward. It will die and get postponed until next year.