Tucson Tracon - U90

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
I haven't seen a thread about Tucson Tracon yet, so I figured I might as well start one up. As far as I know, they are a level 8. What info do you guys have about the facility and/or surrounding area?

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
It may only be a level 8, but it will rival some of the toughest TRACONs around in my opinion. The international airport and the Air Force base are less than 5 miles apart and run parallel finals.

Tucson International airport(TUS) runs routine air carriers, cargo, business jets and GA traffic along with an Air National Guard training wing consisting of Approx 80 F16's. Also Police, FBI and Border Patrol helicopters. 3 runways... parallels and intersecting finals.

Davis-Monthan AFB(DMA) has A10's, F16's and C130's which conduct daily training.

They also handle Ryan Field(RYN) which is, or atleast was, the 3rd busiest FCT in the nation. Foreign pilot training galore.

They don't run insane numbers at U90, but its about the most complex mix of traffic you will find anywhere. Mixing F16's with Civil Air Carriers and Biz Jets is insane. SFO's, overheads, instrument straight-in's, re-entry patterns... they don't just recover and land, they stay and play. If you can make it at U90 or TUS you can make it anywhere. There is no mix of traffic more fun to work, honestly. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS CANNED THERE. Heavies, smalls, props, jets, IFR, VFR, pattern work, student solo's, opposite direction, cable engagements, High Tacans, SFO's, backcourse approaches, Crazy MVA's, Hung ordinance, formation flights, emergencies... all daily and routine.

As for the city... it's alright. Very military and college friendly. It has D-M air force base and the University of Arizona. Cost of living is average and the population is about 1.2 million. Decent size... not too big, not too small. Phoenix is only 1.5 hours away and you get a 360 degree view of the mountains. Sunshine and blue skies about 350 days a year.

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
It's only one sentence in my new novel but I like to be accurate. If a vfr aircraft was taking off 24L at Ryan and requested VFR flight following on the way to needles, what would be the frequency?
According to AirNav 128.5 is the approach/departure frequency listed for Tucson.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Dang, you could either deal with all of that Polo stated or go DOD for the same or even more $$..lol
True, but it's damn fun haha.

It's only one sentence in my new novel but I like to be accurate. If a vfr aircraft was taking off 24L at Ryan and requested VFR flight following on the way to needles, what would be the frequency?
Yeah, the book answer is 128.5.

U90's satellite/west sector works the airspace around RYN which is 128.5 when it's open. When it's slow they like everyone on 1 scope/frequency which would be 125.1 and approach may have you change on initial contact. There's really no way you would know that as a pilot unless RYN gave you the frequency change specifically.... so safe/book answer is 128.5

mezepeda

Rookie
Jun 15, 2011
Tucson, Arizona
I Live in Tucson. It is the only class c airspace in Arizona. Im currently in CTI and am hoping to make TUS, RYN, or U90 a future job. I plan to visit these places in a couple years for internships. Also if anyone has info/tips on how to get more involved with these places that would be great!

Last edited:

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Pretty sure it is... TUS is Class C, RYN is class D and PHX is class B. Not sure of Prescott, but my guess it that its a class D since they have a limited radar system. I'd assume you could get on with an internship at U90 or TUS through a CTI program. Are you going the CTI route?

RYN is a federal contract tower, non-FAA

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
Now THAT is impressive... reviving a 5.5 year old thread.

What kind of info you looking for?