Understanding Speed Control/ Calculating Miles Per Minute

user

Newcomer
Aug 15, 2014
Good Day StuckMic Forums,

Can someone please break down understanding speed/ computing miles per minute for me. I understand that you take ground speed drop the zero and you get the number of miles the aircraft will go in 6 min. What I need help in understanding is taking that calculation and applying it to sequencing and spacing on final.

thank you.

Atc_zhuzdv

Newcomer
Aug 3, 2015
If you have to do that much thinking while running a final sequence, you're not gonna make it. This is where it becomes true that not everyone can do this job. You have to have that instinct and feel for the job.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
They teach this method at the Academy in TSEW. It greatly hampered me and when I just ran my final the way I normally (and still do) without all the damn math I was fine.

markz

Rookie
May 24, 2014
A 140 knot aircraft will travel 14 miles in the same time a 270 knot aircraft will travel 27 miles. And, in the same time a 100 knot aircraft will travel 10 miles.

Pick an interval. Count miles to the common point. Use intermediate speeds. Use good final speeds to the FAF.

If you start with a good interval, you can adjust based on winds/compression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
No but I have gotten checked out on 4 of 17 positions at minimum hours so far. Don't have minimums yet on anything else because they are flow dependent and we haven't been on that flow very often.