Up/Down Facility Training

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I tried to do a search but gave a lot of topics with little information...

So, when you are selected for an up/down facility... You go to Oklahoma for X amount of days, go to your facility, check out in the tower, then head back for RTF to Oklahoma city for X amount of days, then go back and then OJT for radar?

Just confused, I thought you wrapped it all up in one go but I guess it would be easier to be focused on one thing at a time as I'd imagine they are pretty different?

As always, thanks for the info!

Pen_Fifteen

Sep 6, 2008
Copperhead road
Yeah, thats right. As far as I know they still have you do tower cab first.

So Basics and tower cab, about 3 months in OKC,

Then to the facility to train and check out in the tower.
I believe a tower checkout at an up/down puts you at D2, but probably depends on each facility.

Then back to OKC for RTF, 5 weeks. Still not sure if that is pass/fail or not.

Then back to the facility to checkout in the TRACON.
I think you make D3 after half the radar positions, then CPC when checked out on all radar positions.

Again, I think that depends on the facility.

I have heard rumors of others doing Cab/RTF back to back, but I dont think that is the norm.

I think the lower level up/downs sound like really great places to start off at.

Please correct me if any of this is not accurate!

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Yeah, the way I understand it, its where your facility puts you after the tower checkout. I believe that to be at D2, and that makes sense, as it is supposed to be D2 after checked out at 50% of the positions.

So if that is also the case for your up/down, you will be at whatever D2 pay is, plus the per diem for RTF......
Thank God... Paying rent in LA plus OKC would be horrid >.>

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
BTR - Level 7 I do believe. No class date yet, just been in contact with the folks down there. Going to PEPC on the 27th of Feb.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Yea, sure does. Not too much to overload yourself, but enough to give you experience. Foot in the door is the most important thing for me at the moment!

Thanks man =)

ShyFlyGuy

Rookie
Jan 14, 2009
TUL
www.facebook.com
Oooh.. makes me wonder about TUL - lvl 9 up/down.... from what I hear mostly military training flights, and GA instructor traffic from RVS (contract or training facility?), in addition to the usual airline service and AA maintenance facility...

rojostyle

Newcomer
Jan 11, 2009
You won't get necessarily D2 pay. I work in an up/down but 75& of the positions are downstairs. so when you check out on tower you only get that bump up to D1. on a positive note at least you won't be making $9 dollars an hour the second time you go and RTF is only for 3 and a half weeks.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
You won't get necessarily D2 pay. I work in an up/down but 75& of the positions are downstairs. so when you check out on tower you only get that bump up to D1. on a positive note at least you won't be making $9 dollars an hour the second time you go and RTF is only for 3 and a half weeks.
Now I'm really confused. I thought you were D1 when you arrived at your facility?

That's a relief though that it is only 3 1/2 weeks. And anything above $9/hr would make me happy haha... Don't think I could pay an apartment and live somewhere else for 3 weeks =P

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Now I'm really confused. I thought you were D1 when you arrived at your facility?

That's a relief though that it is only 3 1/2 weeks. And anything above $9/hr would make me happy haha... Don't think I could pay an apartment and live somewhere else for 3 weeks =P
When you arrive at your facility you are not a D1.

For BTR, there is not a D1 step, your first step after arriving is D2. D2 for a level 7 facility requires you have completed FD Training + 50% of all other positions.

ETA: After further review BTR doesn't have a D2 step either. I need to go back and look at this, I hadn't noticed the discrepancy between the payscales and the D steps by facility level & type.

Note: Where references to one-half, one-third, etc., are made, the developmental controller must certify on at least the number of positions indicated in order to progress to the next developmental level or to CPC. (For example, at a facility where separate certifications are required for flight data (FD), clearance delilvery, gate hold, ground, local,and cab coordinator, FD + one-half of all others positions would mean that the employee must have certified on FD plus an additional three positions in order to begin the next level of training. Or, given the same requirement as the example above, if a facility requires certification on FD, radar east, radar west, handoff and coordinator positions, the developmental must be certified on at least FD and two other positions. The intent of the different percentages of positions is to establish a minimum number of positions to be met or exceed before progressing to the next level.

Last edited:

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
So then the ATC Pay Scale (on stuckmic) is inaccurate as far as the steps in D? Not concerned about pay atm. I guess I could always shut up and be surprised when I get there haha

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Wait, if BTR is a lvl 7 I thought it should have a D2 ?
Not for tower only. I didn't realize until I was looking at it for KillSwitch that the pay calculator needs a tweaking as I didn't know the differences between the payscales and the D steps by facility type/level... it never ends! LOL