Updated AT-SAT?

lori1986

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2013
Florida
Is there an official document stating the new changes, if any, to the AT-SAT? Does anyone know if there will be ATC knowledge questions on the AT-SAT? I have taken it already last year, but want to get some discussion going regarding these new changes...anybody know?

devoixmr

Oct 28, 2011
Only official document I have seen
Subject:
From FAA: An overview of the immediate changes being made to the ATC hiring process

The announcement below was made by the FAA to CTI schools:
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has enjoyed a long-standing relationship with your organization and values our partnership in the training of potential Air Traffic Controllers (ATC). Recently, the FAA completed a barrier analysis of the ATC occupation pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC) Management Directive 715. As a result of the analysis, recommendations were identified that we are implementing to improve and streamline the selection of ATC candidates. These improvements will have a direct and present impact on all hiring sources, including CTI.

An overview of the immediate changes being made to the ATC hiring process is presented below.

Revisions to ATC Hiring Process

· A nationwide competitive FG-01 vacancy announcement open to all U.S. Citizens will be issued in February 2014. Any individual desiring consideration for employment (including CTI graduates) MUST apply. Existing inventories of past applicants will not be used.

· All applicants will be evaluated against the same set of qualification standards. Specifically, applicants must have at least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience, a 4 year degree, or a combination of the two.

· The existing testing process has been updated. The revised testing process is comprised of a biographical questionnaire (completed as part of the application process) and the cognitive portion of the AT-SAT. The cognitive portion of the AT-SAT will be administered only to those who meet the qualification standards and pass the
biographical questionnaire. Applicants for the February 2014 announcement will be required to take and pass the new assessments in order to be referred on for a selection decision.

· Since a single vacancy announcement will be used for all applicant sources, a single nationwide referral list will be generated containing all candidates who meet the qualification standards and pass the assessments. Location preference will no longer be used as a determining factor for referral or selection.

Centralized selection panels will no longer be convened to make selections from the referral list. Selections will now be fully automated, grouping candidates by assessment scores and veteran’s preference.

These improvements to the ATC hiring process will significantly strengthen the long term sustainability of our program and offer our candidates a fair and viable opportunity to demonstrate their capabilities and potential for the ATCposition.

We recognize that you may have questions concerning these changes. Considering the upcoming holiday season, we are planning a teleconference for Mid-January when we will more fully address questions and concerns you may have.

We want to reiterate that we very much value our partnership with the CTIprogram and look forward to assisting you in understanding our changes to the ATC selection process. We will be contacting you soon to schedule the January teleconference."

ariel16

Newcomer
Apr 27, 2013
Houston
Hopefully they will give those who pass on to the AT-SAT a little more information than that on how it has changed. To know exactly how to prepare for it will be a big help. But I have a feeling they won't change the test too much because I'm sure it took a lot of money and time to come up with the previous test.

lori1986

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2013
Florida
Thank you so much devoixmr...it looks like the only real change is the assessment part taken off of the at-sat...? Everything else should be the same for us.

devoixmr

Oct 28, 2011
Hopefully they will give those who pass on to the AT-SAT a little more information than that on how it has changed. To know exactly how to prepare for it will be a big help. But I have a feeling they won't change the test too much because I'm sure it took a lot of money and time to come up with the previous test.
Even on the old AT-SAT, the FAA never (to the best of my knowledge) released what was going to be on it other than saying a cognitive portion, etc.. Everything that was put out was made by people who have taken it and tried to recollect all that they remembered.

AK02

Apr 8, 2012
I would assume nothing new is going to be introduced, but things might be taken out. i.e. the personality assessment. Who knows though.

ariel16

Newcomer
Apr 27, 2013
Houston
Even on the old AT-SAT, the FAA never (to the best of my knowledge) released what was going to be on it other than saying a cognitive portion, etc.. Everything that was put out was made by people who have taken it and tried to recollect all that they remembered.
Yeah I know that's true. But what aspect about it will be changed? Guess we will be the Guinea pigs.

Bulldog274

Newcomer
Apr 4, 2013
Well they can't change it too much obviously. The AT-SAT tests what air traffic controllers really need on the job! i.e. Judgement, focus, and multi-tasking. They'll probably just "update" it (whatever that means) and crank up the difficulty...

Philo138

Sep 20, 2009
After reading that horribly dry document; it seems that they are considering adding a test that measures your ability to visually track an on-screen object while having auditory cues thrown at you. They mention that they have two different versions of this in some phase of completion. It mentioned one was having the "bugs" removed, while the other is being kept on hand in case information about the first test is leaked. However the report makes no mention as to whether or not it will be included any time soon.

The report did go on to say that the short term goal is to tweak the AT-SAT to make it a more valid predictor of on the job success, with a long term goal of replacing it entirely.