US Airways Flight 1549 Crashes

ATL_JB1

Rookie
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta
Bird Strike! (birds sucked into the engine(s) I would like to be a fly on the wall in that tower right now, what a learning expierience.

ladystinger

Rookie
Oct 2, 2008
Thats it in a nut shell. One passanger who says he left the plane in the middle of the group believed everyone was out safely. Minor injuries and that to his knowledge no one had to enter the water. Rafts were waiting to transport.

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert
As soon as this happened my phone lit up with text messages from my former co-workers telling me about the crash just after it happened (I just left US Airways about 2 weeks ago). Most of them were at work and were relaying info as it was available. Thankfully everyone is okay. The crash happened right at the end of today's lesson so I raced out the door to call people I know that work for US Airways on the east coast at LGA and CLT to make sure they were okay and not aboard the aircraft. Sorry for ditching you PorkBarrel and mkeflyer!

BX172

Jan 14, 2009
North Texas
I was driving up the west side highway when I looked over and seen the A320 ditching into the Hudson, what a sight and kudos to the pilots.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
So now that we know everyone is just fine... I can ask my questions.

So, it looks like USAir can count it as an ontime arrival, so they are closer to getting their bonuses. Is that the case? They were over an hour early "arriving" on a 6 minute flight.

Will this incident affect ATC performance goals and impact the OSI payments? I think they're called OSI or some other three letter acronym. I also saw on the screen a few hours ago it had the altitude at 300 ft below sea level.

I dunno how they count that stuff, the flightaware report was just really interesting to me.

Also... I wonder if those folks going from Charlotte to Seattle right now realize that was their plane.

I heard that the pilot was considering landing at Teteboro. Could Tereboro have handled the air bus? Also, while recognizing the great work by the pilot and crew, everyone has to remember that for some amazing reason there was no wind and the river was fairly calm (at least that is what I'm hearing). The wind can really blow up there (if you watched Eli Manning trying to throw passes in last week’s game you know). Had the wind been blowing and there were waves in the river, it might not have come out the same.

Still, it is an amazing story and kudos to the crew. Gov. Patterson called it the Miracle in the Hudson and, for many reasons, he is not wrong.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Did anyone hear about this?

Two days before US Airways Flight 1549 crashed into the Hudson River, passengers on the same route and same aircraft say they heard a series of loud bangs and the flight crew told them they could have to make an emergency landing, CNN has learned.

Crews successfully hoist the wreckage of US Airways Flight 1549 out of the water on Saturday.

1 of 2 more photos ? Steve Jeffrey of Charlotte, North Carolina, told CNN he was flying in first class Tuesday when, about 20 minutes into the flight, "it sounded like the wing was just snapping off."

"The red lights started going on. A little pandemonium was going on," Jeffrey recalled.

He said the incident occurred over Newark, New Jersey, soon after the plane -- also flying as Flight 1549 -- had taken off from LaGuardia Airport in New York.

"It seemed so loud, like luggage was hitting the side but times a thousand. It startled everyone on the plane," Jeffrey said. "We started looking at each other. The stewardesses started running around. They made an announcement that 'everyone heard the noise, we're going to turn around and head back to LaGuardia and check out what happened.'
Rest of story here.. STORY

Jstevew

Newcomer
Jan 20, 2009
There should be others on the previous flight that will tell a similar story if it is true.