Vero Beach Tower - VRB

ThatGuy79

Newcomer
Apr 2, 2009
Alabama
Is anyone familiar with VRB? To this point, the only negative that I've heard is the high cost of living for that area. I appreciate any and all input.

ParrotheadJGR11

Apr 2, 2009
Atlanta
Living down there is not bad at all.. pretty boring at times but youre an hour and a half away from Orlando, West Palm.. etc.. I went to flight school there, lots of training going on, and Piper airplane is based out of there. Used to be plenty of traffic in the spring during spring training, but since the Dodgers have moved out west.. that's gone.

trailboss

Newcomer
Jul 7, 2009
VA
Is anyone familiar with VRB? To this point, the only negative that I've heard is the high cost of living for that area. I appreciate any and all input.
Your kidding me right high cost of living. You can buy a nice house for 200k or less with a pool. Come up to VA DC MD area or SFO to see high cost of living.

Besides that there is a fairly large flight school there flight saftey and from what i hear its a busy VFR tower. I use to live in sebastian FL pre FAA days and if your younger there isn't much to do unless you drive an hour or more.

stingercj7

Newcomer
Dec 1, 2008
I'm a cpc at vrb and its not a bad place to work at all. It's the ultimate time to buy a house down here. The cost of living is not bad at all either. Its a quiet place w alot of old retired people but there a few good spots in town to hang out at. Like the others said it is close to alot of action. Traffic has recently fallen off to a real level 6 due to the economy and flight school contracts falling through but that is just temporary. It is still very busy at times but before we were at mid-high level 7 numbers. Hope this helps.

draggen3

Newcomer
Jul 17, 2009
Is Bruce Wilkerson still there or Dale Bankenship or Sue the old union rep??

thxs larry
VRb from 1991-1996

LS024

Rookie
Dec 25, 2008
I used to fly there at FlightSafety. When I was there it was a very busy airport. Mid morning and mid afternoon were the worst. Not a lot to do in Vero just the beach and lots of older folks.

ParrotheadJGR11

Apr 2, 2009
Atlanta
I used to fly there at FlightSafety. When I was there it was a very busy airport. Mid morning and mid afternoon were the worst. Not a lot to do in Vero just the beach and lots of older folks.
melbourne, cocoa, orlando, and west palm just a short drive away.. i enjoyed my time in vero at FSI

dale1122

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
Larry - Bruce retired last month, Sue retired last November. I am still there and eligible to retire in December 2010. Everyone else you knew is gone except the chief. Cheryl is retiring before the end of this year.

To the original poster - the cost of living is not high in Vero. Before you get a lease come by the facility and talk to some of the younger people that are currently in apartments in the area. Ask for KH or MM or MK. They all arrived within the last couple years and know the apartment scene, Don't buy a house until you are sure you will certify here unless you would stay in this area even if you didnt certify. Unfortunately about 1/3 to 1/2 of the trainees here never certify.

keithkeys

Trusted Contributor
Feb 13, 2009
Somewhere out There
Larry - Bruce retired last month, Sue retired last November. I am still there and eligible to retire in December 2010. Everyone else you knew is gone except the chief. Cheryl is retiring before the end of this year.

To the original poster - the cost of living is not high in Vero. Before you get a lease come by the facility and talk to some of the younger people that are currently in apartments in the area. Ask for KH or MM or MK. They all arrived within the last couple years and know the apartment scene, Don't buy a house until you are sure you will certify here unless you would stay in this area even if you didnt certify. Unfortunately about 1/3 to 1/2 of the trainees here never certify.
That is ridiculous for a level 6 VFR tower.

dale1122

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
updated : Vrb's last 10 trainees, 3 certified although only 1 is still certified, 1 quit (medical) 1 is trying to regain certification and is doing well. 7 terminated or quit prior to certification.

According to ATADS
Air Traffic Activity System (ATADS)

VRB had about 90K operations 1/2010 thru 7/2010 about 1/2 of them are T&G's or some other type of pattern work.

VRB currently has 3 trainees at the facility working towards certification

draggen3

Newcomer
Jul 17, 2009
Damn Dale thats slow compared to the old days !!
I know you remember !!
I hope you and yours are well , I have 3 yrs left !!!

I see there is a cheif bid for VRB are you gonna do it ??
You have the experience !!!
I guess the trainee gloira we sent you quit is what I heard .
Take care , Larry

keithkeys

Trusted Contributor
Feb 13, 2009
Somewhere out There
updated : Vrb's last 10 trainees, 3 certified although only 1 is still certified, 1 quit (medical) 1 is trying to regain certification and is doing well. 7 terminated or quit prior to certification.

According to ATADS
Air Traffic Activity System (ATADS)

VRB had about 90K operations 1/2010 thru 7/2010 about 1/2 of them are T&G's or some other type of pattern work.

VRB currently has 3 trainees at the facility working towards certification
I work at a VFR tower. Pattern work isnt difficult, if anything it helps you get your comfort level up quicker. It's all about threading the needle with a Jet (if they even get them). It speaks volume for the facility, sounds like its not a union facility. Granted, I have never been to the facility and I do not know the environment, but thats just horrible. Your not gonna tell me the complexity is there either. Would not want to go there, advise all newbies against it.

dale1122

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
Hi Larry,
Its definitely a lot slower then pre 911, like most everyone else I guess. Rwy 11L is closed for 5 months for repaving along with about 1/3 of our taxiways so that sucks right now but at least its the slow season. The Chief job is indeed open but i have no intention of bidding it. Gloria did quit, she is a really nice person, I wish she would have certified. Actually all of the trainees to come thru here the last several years were good people.

Keithkeys - Vrb is a union facility as are all the FAA staffed control towers but I believe you already know that. Almost all if not all of the trainees that have been unsuccessful have been dues paying union members. Not really sure what your intentions are with union comment thing. I never said pattern work was hard just that about 50% of VRBs traffic is pattern work. I was actually trying to keep my post factual and less opinionated as opinions vary even amongst those who work at Vrb and actually know what is going on there.

Last edited:

keithkeys

Trusted Contributor
Feb 13, 2009
Somewhere out There
All FAA facilities are union eligible, however that does not mean that everyone or anyone is a union member. There are FAA towers that have 0 union members. 70% washout rate at level 6 VFR tower is unacceptable. Some people are not cut out for the job, I know that. I stated before that I do not know situation. Could be management or just the culture. Or just bad luck with developmentals. What's most likely?

dale1122

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
Actually they are all union members as FAA controllers have no choice in the matter however not all controllers pay dues. I can tell you that the % of trainees that have been unsuccessful in obtaining certification had nothing to do with paying dues or not.

I can say that all trainees that didnt quit were given extensions on their hours and Instructors were still keying up to prevent OE's in the last few hours of training. We arent talking about washing people out on phraseology errors.

A 70% rate is very high which is why I mentioned it in the fiirst place, but that is just our last 10 trainees going back over about a 2 1/2 year period, earlier our rate was much lower. When the screen was still run at OKC the rate was very low, maybe 10%.

Last edited:

keithkeys

Trusted Contributor
Feb 13, 2009
Somewhere out There
All controllers are not union members. The union, however, is required to represent them.
There is a difference. But I was not implying that was the reason for them washing out. I was merely posing a question as to the status of the facility in regards to it's union membership. In addition, I was searching for an answer in regards to the why the washout rate was so high. So I theorized possibilities.

Towns2dd

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2010
keithkey's, is it true that 75% of controllers in Vero Beach do not certify?? I can't imagine traffic being too complex at Vero beach!

Towns2dd

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2010
Why are so many trainees quiting? I think it has something to do with the training.