VFR transition Question

Alaroy12

Newcomer
Oct 24, 2019
Had a weird situation come up last night. Civilian vfr aircraft calls the tower looking for a transition through my airspace. I started to give him the information and approve his transition when I realized he was 100 feet above my airspace. I told him to contact the approach facility for flight following which he never did. My question is: could I have told him to descend into my airspace without first requesting it from the radar facility and then give him his transition? Can you tell someone outside of your airspace to descend to at or below x feet and then just give the radar facility traffic on said aircraft? What are the rules for this and where would I find them? Thanks in advance

atcrbada1

Newcomer
Jun 11, 2020
Although it was quite awhile ago - here is my answer if it ever pops up again. I would simply advise the aircraft that your airspace extends up to XXX and if he would like to transition advise when reaching the applicable altitude. Conversely we often work someone outside the airspace with a simple pointout to the adjacent airspace controller IF the aircraft will eventually enter our actual area of control.