Visiting a facility

randt

Jan 12, 2009
So, while we are in the wait for geo prefs, I figured I would go visit the facility I am wanting. Problem is, I have two front runners. (I'm in Dallas, and we have about 400 ATC facilities here. ;)) Do I visit my two top choices, or just pick one and go for it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ccollins

Apr 17, 2009
I'd tour a small and a large facility. A small facility will allow you to spend a lot of time observing and asking questions. A busy facility will most likely rush to get the tour over with.

I've toured a lot of facilities and the ones I have had the best time at have been the smaller ones and centers because they put a lot of work into it.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Tour somewhere like Love field and get an idea of how it all works and enjoy the simplicity of ATC... then check out DFW tower, crap your pants and ask yourself what you are getting into, haha. But seriously, if you can... go check out DFW. Its jaw dropping and will really open your eyes as to what ATC is.

Muneco

Senior Analyst
Jan 13, 2009
So, while we are in the wait for geo prefs, I figured I would go visit the facility I am wanting. Problem is, I have two front runners. (I'm in Dallas, and we have about 400 ATC facilities here. ;)) Do I visit my two top choices, or just pick one and go for it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Visit the facilities you would love to see the most.

ksheyman

Feb 3, 2009
Indianapolis
i've toured seattle center, seattle tracon, and sea-tac tower. my favorite tour was the tower, but i found out i'd rather work in the center. but that's just my opinion, i've always worked for big companies with lots of people so it feels more natural. i do think you should tour at least one facility of each type to see what is for you. worked for me

Hiimrif

Rookie
Mar 31, 2009
So would you just call the number provided on the facility locator to schedule an appointment to visit? Sorry newb question.

travelingcutie

Dec 13, 2008
Atlanta
So would you just call the number provided on the facility locator to schedule an appointment to visit? Sorry newb question.
Yeah, just call the number and usually they will transfer you to the appropriate person, or sometimes they can schedule you for a tour

evans18a

Rookie
May 2, 2009
I have heard that touring a facility might help you getting a job there by letting them know that you are very interested in that facility. Has anyone else heard this or maybe it has helped them get hired to the facility that the like the most?

badtone

Apr 2, 2009
Unknown Whereabouts
I have heard that touring a facility might help you getting a job there by letting them know that you are very interested in that facility. Has anyone else heard this or maybe it has helped them get hired to the facility that the like the most?
I've read that has happened in the past from some users on here [though there's no guarantees of course], but it can't hurt unless you look like a complete dirtbag when you show up for the tour. Maybe bring them some starbucks?

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Yes, it absolutely can help you. Put yourself into the shoes of a district manager who's staring at a list of fifty applicants, all well qualified, all applying for ten spots. If a few of them have taken the time to visit those places, indicated their interest in working there, and made a good impression, wouldn't you want to pick them up over a handful of random people you know nothing about?

The facility manager where I'm headed told me that she specifically picked me because I visited, made my interest clear, and stayed in touch with her throughout the process. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on the person you're interacting with, but at the very least it'll get your name out there.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
I think I may go visit the San Antonio tower soon. I went there 9 years ago when I first found out about this gig and think it's about time to pay another visit. I'm going to a center but seeing everyone in their element will definately help me as I'm waiting for my future to call.....Future, Please call!!

May 16, 2009
Iowa
Yes, it absolutely can help you. Put yourself into the shoes of a district manager who's staring at a list of fifty applicants, all well qualified, all applying for ten spots. If a few of them have taken the time to visit those places, indicated their interest in working there, and made a good impression, wouldn't you want to pick them up over a handful of random people you know nothing about?

The facility manager where I'm headed told me that she specifically picked me because I visited, made my interest clear, and stayed in touch with her throughout the process. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on the person you're interacting with, but at the very least it'll get your name out there.
Rosstafari

I'm visiting Chicago Center next week hoping it will help my odds for PUB8. I wasn't picked for 5/6 and did not apply for 7. Your saying I should talk to the facility manager so that he/she may pick me? My purpose for the visit/tour is to get my name in their heads. I wasn't sure if the visit mattered until I read your thread. I also didn't realilize the managers had the power to pick certain applicants.

I have a degree in aviation and all my ratings, tho am only Q. How are my odds?

Thanks for the help

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I didn't have much luck trying to visit a facility. I had everything set up to visit ZLC which was my #1 Geo Pref, so I flew out there and was ready to go. They called the morning I was supposed to visit and un-invited me :lol: Something about heightened security, and only family members can enter the center blah blah blah.

From reading through the message boards, ZLC def. has that reputation. They've not let people tour there who actually had an FOL for that facility. In the end I guess it didn't matter though, since I got selected regardless.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
The facility managers dont just put you on their list... they really have nothing to do with who gets hired there. They can however GO OUT OF THEIR WAY and network with whoever is in charge of the hiring to try to get you to their facility. Will visiting a facility help you get hired... probably not, but it definitely doesnt hurt. It may help if you have prior experience or if you show that you can benefit that facility somehow, but if you have zero ATC background I dont see managers going the extra mile for someone they dont know, who isnt a controller.

ParrotheadJGR11

Apr 2, 2009
Atlanta
The facility managers dont just put you on their list... they really have nothing to do with who gets hired there. They can however GO OUT OF THEIR WAY and network with whoever is in charge of the hiring to try to get you to their facility. Will visiting a facility help you get hired... probably not, but it definitely doesnt hurt. It may help if you have prior experience or if you show that you can benefit that facility somehow, but if you have zero ATC background I dont see managers going the extra mile for someone they dont know, who isnt a controller.
heeeey there's a killjoy :cya:

just kidding

atp2atc

Feb 2, 2009
Boston, MA
I was wondering if anyone has the contact information for the tower at BOS. The number on the link thats on this site doesn't work.

RC4524

Jan 8, 2009
YNG
Speaking from experience, there are a precious few facility managers who absolutely WILL go out of their way for you, especially if it's a facility that doesn't have people beating down the doors. Here's my $0.02...

1. Visiting a facility will never hurt. I only toured BDL and HFD, but both facility managers took a couple HOURS out of their day and toured me around, let me hang out in the tower, and sat down with me and told offerred me a lot of information. Not saying they are all like that, but there are those out there.

2. Especially if you're hoping to not move too far away, visit all the facilities in your area, regardless of whether they are your first choice or not. If you can't get into your first choice, at least this way, someone else close by knows who you are and may pick you up. Like I said before, it CAN'T Hurt.... unless of course, you fly out to ZLC and then get told to go away. that SUCKS dude... so sorry that happened to you, but glad it didn't affect the selection process.

PS - Polo, I'm not refuting what you said, I'm affirming it... don't know you yet and don't know if you get defensive or not when people quote you. ;-) I liked what you had to say.