VRA skipping the academy?

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Anyone heard of or done this?

Im working to try it out. The facility im going to is hurting pretty bad now and I have 10 years of prior-tower experience. I asked and she said she will see what she can do to get me directly hired there and bypass the academy. Fingers crossed, haha.

Not trying to sound cocky or anything like that but I dont think there is much the academy will be able to teach me. Well, I shouldnt say that... but the amount of money and time the government will be wasting to teach me little is incredible.

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert
I'm in a class with a VRA with 7-years prior experience and am also friends with a 4-year VRA. Both were told "NO" with regards to skipping the academy. You get to sit through the same review and learn the FAA procedures and get your CTO. Hell, even a guy with a CTO in my class had to go through it.

...but at the same time, good luck! I hope it works out for you cuz it gets very boring! :)

Ramstar13

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Mexico City
You dont get your "CTO" at the academy. Why do people always think this??? You take your CTO test there. To get a actual real CTO you have to get certified on every position in a tower, last local control. Hince "CONTROL TOWER OPERATOR."

Max Power

Jun 16, 2008
you will go to the academy, you will learn nothing. Just play the game, smile and nodd while you are there. When you get to your facility just work traffic like you always have and you'll be fine.

moflo

Newcomer
Jun 16, 2008
In Sept '06, I by-passed tower school and went straight to my facility (4 previous CTO's). A friend of mine hired at the same time (2 CTO's) also got to go directly to his facility. I've heard the reason for prior CTO's going to tower school now is all about the numbers.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
12 years of tower and enroute experience...and guess what?? i'm going to the academy. that's a thing of the past. there's some on here that have done it. but, they stopped doing it around 2007. archie_league was one of those lucky few.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
In Sept '06, I by-passed tower school and went straight to my facility (4 previous CTO's). A friend of mine hired at the same time (2 CTO's) also got to go directly to his facility. I've heard the reason for prior CTO's going to tower school now is all about the numbers.
I came in late Sep '06, after the non-tract, and had to go to OKC. A friend of mine came in early Sep '06 and went straight to the facility. (same facility).

When I asked why I had to go if I was going to a TRACON only facility, I was told it was to see how the tower operates. When I told her I had a CTO and new all about the tower, her response was..."well then, I have no idea why you are here". Good stuff.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
I realize its a requirement... Im just stating that im working with the ATM to try to get around it. Manning there is bad and ive had 4 CTO's. I have someone high up on my side and im going to try it, haha. Ill post up what happens. Hell maybe we'll find a loop hole for some us more veteran guys. You never know.

Stan Marsh

Jun 18, 2008
The Desert
You dont get your "CTO" at the academy. Why do people always think this??? You take your CTO test there. To get a actual real CTO you have to get certified on every position in a tower, last local control. Hince "CONTROL TOWER OPERATOR."
Slip of the tongue. I meant to say CTO exam. Although without one, you can't have the other!

bravo_zulu said:
ive had 4 CTO's.
Best of luck. A week ago I rode the bus with a guy who had 5. I really do hope it works for you. If not, you'll get to spend a few weeks in glorious Oklahoma City banking your per diem.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
YEAH... but its wear and tear on my car, 2 months away from the family(2 kids) and 2 months longer that I wont be CPC'd. It wont be too bad but Id love to be able to bypass it. We'll wait and see I guess.