VRA Thoughts on Upcoming PUBNAT

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
I just looked really quick and it sounds like FG-1 is the same at GS-1? Just with the pay banding thing? So it could be a range of numbers? Isnt GS-1 minimum wage? Didn't the FAA try this like 10 years ago and even NATCA got in on the fight, which isnt exactly their area to bargain for. I guess you wont get to the D pays until you get to your facility.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I just looked really quick and it sounds like FG-1 is the same at GS-1? Just with the pay banding thing? So it could be a range of numbers? Isnt GS-1 minimum wage? Didn't the FAA try this like 10 years ago and even NATCA got in on the fight, which isnt exactly their area to bargain for. I guess you wont get to the D pays until you get to your facility.
No one gets the D-scale before they get to their facility, and OTS/CTI you don't hit D scale til you get your first 25% of the positions. VRA gets D1 (D2 if your facility doesn't have D1) when they get to their facility.

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
No one gets the D-scale before they get to their facility, and OTS/CTI you don't hit D scale til you get your first 25% of the positions. VRA gets D1 (D2 if your facility doesn't have D1) when they get to their facility.
D1 even though it's an OTS announcement?

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah that's what I meant. Theres a big difference between FG(GS)-1 and AG pay though.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
I think it's the NATCA-FAA CBA that outlined that veterans got the AG pay at the academy and D-1 upon arriving at the facility. I just cant remember if it says VRA specifically or just veterans.

AK02

Apr 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure veterans will still get the 37000 (D1) at the academy even though it's an OTS bid. In the past if veterans got picked up under a CTO announcement they would still receive the 37000 at the academy? I don't think it matters what type of bid they get hired under. (At least I hope)

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
I couldn't find a FG pay scale specifically but another website said it was equivelent to GS-1 which is ~$18/k or a little over 9 bucks an hour.

stebramic

Newcomer
Jun 10, 2011
So this all makes me wonder how they will work it for people coming from the DOD? Anyone know anything about that?

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Coming from the DOD you keep your old pay for a predetermined amount of time or until your FAA pay surpasses it.

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
I'm pretty sure veterans will still get the 37000 (D1) at the academy even though it's an OTS bid. In the past if veterans got picked up under a CTO announcement they would still receive the 37000 at the academy? I don't think it matters what type of bid they get hired under. (At least I hope)
Hoping as well

DavidSW

Rookie
May 5, 2011
Barksdale AFB
I believe DoD is eligible for Save pay, so they should be taken care of. Will we know of we are going terminal or enroute before the end of the academy? I would imagine we would have to know unless they are planning on training for both.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Few things wrong with the quote m1ke. A) D1 is a payband at your facility. The 37k is NOT D1 pay. B) Not all veterans qualify for the 37k. Only veteran CONTROLLERS qualify(ied) for it. Non-controller veterans get the normal AG pay like everyone else.

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
Few things wrong with the quote m1ke. A) D1 is a payband at your facility. The 37k is NOT D1 pay. B) Not all veterans qualify for the 37k. Only veteran CONTROLLERS qualify(ied) for it. Non-controller veterans get the normal AG pay like everyone else.
OK so I am assuming that you qualify for the 37k because you got picked from the VRA bid. Will I be considered a veteran controller that qualifies for this if they do the same for the OTS?

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
NOBODY ever got D1 at the academy. You used to get AG at the academy which is $37k plus locality and D1 (which is level specific) at your facility.