VRA's already at the academy

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
If there are any VRA's out there that have already been to the academy, can you give any pointers/info as to what to expect? I'm working as a civilian now, but it would be nice to kinda know if it's going to be a cake walk, or if I will need to focus. In other words, will it be a 2 month vacation or a 2 month FLT class?

Ramstar13

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Mexico City
I was a military controller from a fairly busy facility with a CTO. The academy was harder then i expected it to be, not a cake walk. You will need to focus and study. On a scale from one to ten it was about a 5 in difficulty if you have a good amount of experience. All traffic calls and phrasology have to be by the book (.65) and you are talking to a computer, not real A/C.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
In other words, will it be a 2 month vacation or a 2 month FLT class?
Brandon, I sure hope your joking. Bring your tennis shorts and your tennis rackets. It's gonna be cake city. Can't remember, but i think you said your bringing your wife with you. I'm not, so hopefully you can get a few kitchen passes and we can paint OKC red. Parrtay Time!

Max Power

Jun 16, 2008
i slept through a lot of the classroom portion, could even catch a wink or 2 when i wasnt assigned a control position, was just supposed to observe local.

if you can get the study materials for your new facility the tower class is a good time to go over that stuff.

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
Thankfully, I currently work at a FCT location where they got rid of all of my military hogwash phraseology. I was at Moody and Nellis. I've doing it by the book at my current location, so if that was the difficult part then open the hatch and "Here's to women, beer and song, may none of them be flat!"; resident knucklehead, I'm sure you can relate to the location I'm currently at.

Brandon, I sure hope your joking. Bring your tennis shorts and your tennis rackets. It's gonna be cake city. Can't remember, but i think you said your bringing your wife with you. I'm not, so hopefully you can get a few kitchen passes and we can paint OKC red. Parrtay Time!

The wifey is only driving with me out there, she'll be flying back before I even begin class. Thanks for the info all. I have quite a few friends there that said they'd show me around as well, so yes, Jeff, we shall paint the town and find out how many drinks does it take to drink Jeff under the table! Oh, and by the way, the loser drives!

zoz02

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
KSGJ
two duis later, I don't think I need to chillax.

Hope I can make it there in time to see any VRAs at the bar!!

Be Good!

Max Power

Jun 16, 2008
dang, that sucks you learned hogwash phraseology, I learned kickass phraseology in the USAF and my facility lets me use it all I want.

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
yeah, the phraseology isn't phraseology at all... it's more like just getting your point across... haha... na, AF wasn't too bad, but we did break some rules.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
After about halfway through the non-radar portion, I was bored out of my mind. I didn't study at all. I had never done non-radar before, so that part was new to me, the rest was boring.

I'm enroute btw.