Washed Out at OKC in 2012. Can I Apply at 31?

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
Ha!!! I'm studying now and breaking every 5 min to check for responses to my Qs. Multitasking!

angryweb

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2010
Los Angeles
My class had 2 people struggling. Both dropped out before finishing.

Then 6 washed after. Half was expected, the other half were a shock to everyone.

One of the top people in the class barely studied. Some people just get it.

PhillyManlove

Dec 18, 2013
Philly
The COO is on record saying that the Academy is going back to the screen mentality. If Phillymanlove was a betting man...and he is.. Phillymanlove would bet you are going to see a substantially higher number of washouts. And to be honest...this is what we in the field want to see as well. Bring Phillymanlove your best.

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
The COO is on record saying that the Academy is going back to the screen mentality. If Phillymanlove was a betting man...and he is.. Phillymanlove would bet you are going to see a substantially higher number of washouts. And to be honest...this is what we in the field want to see as well. Bring Phillymanlove your best.
What was the old pass rate for terminal and enroute?

PhillyManlove

Dec 18, 2013
Philly
What was the old pass rate for terminal and enroute?
If you talk to old timers from the 1980's screen..... it was like 8 out of 30 made it. Everyone was screened with a non radar problem.
Phillymanlove thinks the washout rate is going to be near 40-50 percent according to rumors around our facility...

Plaaaane

Trusted Member
Apr 27, 2012
If you talk to old timers from the 1980's screen..... it was like 8 out of 30 made it. Everyone was screened with a non radar problem.
Phillymanlove thinks the washout rate is going to be near 40-50 percent according to rumors around our facility...
And the curren is what? 10-25% depending on enroute or terminal?

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
The CWP suggests they've only been washing 50-100 per year, so that's probably 10% max.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
One of the top people in the class barely studied. Some people just get it.
This is correct, and I believe that is the main reason why OTS hiring is returning, and CTI dying. Some people are just "naturals" and get it right away. Things like good situational awareness, spacial relationships, multitasking, prioritizing, nerves of steel, and ability to keep your cool under pressure, which are some the basic skills needed to be a good ATC can't be taught in a classroom.

Things like the 7110.65, the AIM, facility SOP/LOA's, airspace maps, etc are the theory and academics portion, and that can be given to you at your assigned facility.

Last edited:

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
My OKC academy input was 291 total incoming from all regions, broken down into many different classrooms of around 16-18 students per class, usually people from the same region would be together in those. 106 out of the 291 total input graduated the screen portion, and continued to follow on, and to the field. I'm not sure what was the actual CPC count out of those that made it from the other classrooms, but my NY area classroom had 18, and only 6 of us made out of the screen, and 5 of the 6 eventually made CPC.

It was a meat grinder for sure, but it did serve its purpose of weeding out most potential failures. The checkout rate of people that made it through the old Academy was much higher.

Aries

Newcomer
Jan 19, 2014
Yes, you can. As for how competitive it is though, especially with these new announcements, nobody knows. At any rate, best of luck!

real416

Newcomer
Oct 24, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
According to the revised FAA website, they state that you must:

Looks like a change in the requirement to me. Don't know how it will affect you.

Here's the link: Aviation Careers

But yea, calling to ask is probably a good idea.

angryweb

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks for all of the well wishers!

Like I said, I really hope it comes through but I am going to apply and just get back to my current life and not "bank" on getting hired. I don't want to raise expectations and if I do get a second chance, I would be ecstatic.

h4xit

Trusted Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Second angryweb - was told en route washout was 30-40% at OKC

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
FAA must be under-reporting the washout numbers in the CWP then. 40% would mean at least a couple hundred people per year are washing just in en route.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
And the AF told me the washout rate at Keesler was 50% but in reality it was closer to 20-30%. They always overstate what the rate is to students to make sure the reality of it is in their heads.