Washington Center - ZDC

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
Does anyone have any idea how long the list is for ZDC at this point? I know there have been people waiting for quite some time.

meagarunt22

Jul 15, 2010
BFE, NM
Just got back from my interview. Went great. They were great about making me feel at ease and I got a tour afterwards. It was ZAB but I'm assuming they are all pretty close in appearances. Pretty cool since I'm used to the tower. I sure am going to miss windows though.

CraZyAzN911

Jan 4, 2011
ZDC
Just got back from my interview. Went great. They were great about making me feel at ease and I got a tour afterwards. It was ZAB but I'm assuming they are all pretty close in appearances. Pretty cool since I'm used to the tower. I sure am going to miss windows though.
Did you just get picked up on this last november panel?

atc3400

Sep 27, 2011
Richmond, VA
Did you just get picked up on this last november panel?

I think those who are waiting to be interviewed at ZDC are going to just wait until after the holidays, i called ACD and they said if i don't hear something first week of Jan to call back and they would look into it.

CraZyAzN911

Jan 4, 2011
ZDC
I think those who are waiting to be interviewed at ZDC are going to just wait until after the holidays, i called ACD and they said if i don't hear something first week of Jan to call back and they would look into it.
Great, its good to hear that information. Thanks!

OhAchEyeOh

Rookie
Nov 17, 2010
Ohio
Has anyone heard anything from our HR rep? I called ACD and I believe her name is ST (was hard to understand lady on the phone). I had my interview at ZOB on 12/27 and am just waiting to hear back from her. Has anyone been checking into the housing options for the academy? I know it's still a little ways away but preparing in advance never hurts anything.

Mod note: Please don't name HR employees by full name. Use initials.

rogersjf

Trusted Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
New Jersey
A little update for you guys and ZDC, currently ZDC is redesigning the airspace so they have gotten backed up in the training in the sense the OJIT's are training OJIT's on the new airspace. With that said ZDC has requested 48 people in the first 4 months of FY12, currently there are more then 6 classes of ZDC here at OKC currently, I think the number is around 36 or more students here today. We were told by ZDC to expect to be delayed in training somewhere along the road, however the agreement with the union was to award back pay to any one who is affected by the delay. I would feel safe to say that after this push of hires to ZDC training will be back logged for an extended period of time. So if you do not get in this initial push of FY12 you may be looking at a prolonged period of time till OKc 1.5 - 2 years. I waited 1.5 years for my OKC date keep the faith.

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
A little update for you guys and ZDC, currently ZDC is redesigning the airspace so they have gotten backed up in the training in the sense the OJIT's are training OJIT's on the new airspace. With that said ZDC has requested 48 people in the first 4 months of FY12, currently there are more then 6 classes of ZDC here at OKC currently, I think the number is around 36 or more students here today. We were told by ZDC to expect to be delayed in training somewhere along the road, however the agreement with the union was to award back pay to any one who is affected by the delay. I would feel safe to say that after this push of hires to ZDC training will be back logged for an extended period of time. So if you do not get in this initial push of FY12 you may be looking at a prolonged period of time till OKc 1.5 - 2 years. I waited 1.5 years for my OKC date keep the faith.
I hope that you are wrong.

OhAchEyeOh

Rookie
Nov 17, 2010
Ohio
You're not kidding, Rob. That would be terrible news. Has anyone who has been selected by ZDC in November panel heard from HR pre or post-interview?

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
You're not kidding, Rob. That would be terrible news. Has anyone who has been selected by ZDC in November panel heard from HR pre or post-interview?
I just heard that they weren't going to start until after the holidays and to follow-up if we haven't heard anything by mid-January.

rogersjf

Trusted Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
New Jersey
I hope that you are wrong.
Unfortunately sir everything is fact except for the waiting game guess. However being that ZDC took 28 in FY2011 and they will take 48 for Fy2012 that puts the total number of developmental's to 76 in two years. One can assume that ZDC's training space will be come very sparse and they have already confirmed to us that we will be delayed and get back pay. I would say that the chances are slim for the people who got picked up recently to see a OKC date anytime soon.

OhAchEyeOh

Rookie
Nov 17, 2010
Ohio
Received mine last Tuesday. Completed everything except medical which is schedule for a week from tomorrow, Feb 7th. Getting to OKC in 2012 would be a victory in my eyes.

opie

stepchild
Nov 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
Hey guys, I am currently At ZDC. yes there were 40+ (41 i think) people hired this FY. you will be coming in every 2 weeks or so. Yes there is a delay as they just "completed" going from 8 areas to 6, which requires a lot of cross training. IMO in regards to trainees, it is done as fair as possible. I had my TOL june of '10, and started OKC april of '11.
ps, of my class of 10 at OKC, 2 didn't make it out of OKC (average) and 2 more have failed at their facility. study. this is an awesome job. feel free to contact me with questions via PM. i will try to check daily. ZDC rules! (but the cost of living sucks ;) )

opie

stepchild
Nov 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
Well, they need more, but no one will know for sure till later in the year. I would guess, and this is only a guess, that they will maintain 20-40 each year. we are losing CPCs faster than we certify new ones, but we ave a bit of a training backlog due to 8 to 6 areas and that we are getting so many this year. So who knows for sure.

reddn

Rookie
Sep 17, 2008
VA
Im at zdc now, I have two R(radar) sides and getting no training(I can staff so they can train more CPCs).

@rogersjf your numbers are spot on with the amount of ppl we are suppose to be getting, although i though i read to the board to have 51 in FY12.

Again to training, depending on which area you get assigned, they are all behind but some are at a full stop training developmentals(unless you are a Radar developmental training at a sector that a CPC does not need training at). The training delay backpay program stops in October of this year, unless both sides says it needs to be extended. All of the developmentals in my area are getting zero training, and dont expect that to change for 2 months, but after that I think things should go a little better. Until all of the eligable to retire CPCs' hit the eject button.

Ahh damnit, i just remembered, ERAM is OIC(some acronym meaning it is going to be implemented) sometime late this year... So all CPCs will have to be pulled from the floor for a day or two for 'refresher' training. There is another around 3-5 months of no training

If you didn't already read the DOT IG said FAA is seriously understaffed, he is correct, deadly correct. And what ever happens on this next contract we might have a serious mass exodus. FYI ~35% of the controllers are eligible right now, 50% in the next 3 years

Tom
ZDC

By the way, anyone with a TOL to ZDC and don't have a contact at the center you can email me thomas at reddn dot com (dont use PM's this PM limit BS is annoying) with any questions etc