Washington Center - ZDC

ZDC_NJ

Newcomer
Mar 14, 2012
Oak Hill, VA
Im at zdc now, I have two R(radar) sides and getting no training(I can staff so they can train more CPCs).

@rogersjf your numbers are spot on with the amount of ppl we are suppose to be getting, although i though i read to the board to have 51 in FY12.

Again to training, depending on which area you get assigned, they are all behind but some are at a full stop training developmentals(unless you are a Radar developmental training at a sector that a CPC does not need training at). The training delay backpay program stops in October of this year, unless both sides says it needs to be extended. All of the developmentals in my area are getting zero training, and dont expect that to change for 2 months, but after that I think things should go a little better. Until all of the eligable to retire CPCs' hit the eject button.

Ahh damnit, i just remembered, ERAM is OIC(some acronym meaning it is going to be implemented) sometime late this year... So all CPCs will have to be pulled from the floor for a day or two for 'refresher' training. There is another around 3-5 months of no training

If you didn't already read the DOT IG said FAA is seriously understaffed, he is correct, deadly correct. And what ever happens on this next contract we might have a serious mass exodus. FYI ~35% of the controllers are eligible right now, 50% in the next 3 years

Tom
ZDC

By the way, anyone with a TOL to ZDC and don't have a contact at the center you can email me thomas at reddn dot com (dont use PM's this PM limit BS is annoying) with any questions etc
Hello everyone. Name is Rob. Just became a member here. If you have any questions about ZDC, feel free to ask me. Hopefully I can answer most of them.

ERAM for ZDC is delayed by a few months, into 2013. Hopefully that will start the process of developmentals getting trained again. With the 8 areas into 6, everyone who isn't a controller (developmental/new-hire) really has the short end of the stick.

Hope to see more new faces around the building sometime soon.

My background:
Graduated ERAU 06/04
Received initial call 06/06
OKC 12/06
D-School 07/07
R-School 08/08
FPL 11/09

ccloutier

Newcomer
Dec 2, 2011
As of today (May 21), these are the SM users headed to ZDC out of the most recent panels:

guitarman710
FAKam32
NewATCguy
captaingary
flyerchic0212
atcechob

That's a pretty good group size, hopefully y'all can get together at some point.
You can aslo add me to this list. I accepted a position at ZDC and now just waitiing to get through medical and background.

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
anyone have any new information about what those of us with ZDC TOLs should expect? i hear differing things on a weekly basis it seems like.

Austin888

Newcomer
Mar 2, 2010
Got my TOL April 27th. Got everything done but the background check. I guess I'll just hope that someone has to delay their class date and I magically get the spot. lol

CraZyAzN911

Jan 4, 2011
ZDC
Got my TOL April 27th. Got everything done but the background check. I guess I'll just hope that someone has to delay their class date and I magically get the spot. lol
What panel were you? There are still people waiting from last March for a class date. I was November. Got fully cleared in march and still patiently waiting haha

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
someone should try to actually get in touch with the training manager at the center to see what he has to say. he should know more than HR. i call not it :p

opie

stepchild
Nov 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
someone should try to actually get in touch with the training manager at the center to see what he has to say. he should know more than HR. i call not it :p
rumor mill....

Last i heard, ZDC has no more class dates through Sep. and after that varies from zero, to 57 class slots. expect to know more Oct when the new Fiscal year starts. sucks i know. been there.

Austin888

Newcomer
Mar 2, 2010
What panel were you? There are still people waiting from last March for a class date. I was November. Got fully cleared in march and still patiently waiting haha
I was from the November panel as well. I also take it that there is a group a month ahead of me since you have been waiting since March and I got mine in April. I love this whole 'hurry up and wait' concept. lol

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
rumor mill....

Last i heard, ZDC has no more class dates through Sep. and after that varies from zero, to 57 class slots. expect to know more Oct when the new Fiscal year starts. sucks i know. been there.
It varies from 0 to 57? What does that mean?

spungos

Newcomer
Nov 9, 2009
I'm a march 11' TOL for ZDC. I've passed up a couple class dates for OKC because of a personal situation but got a call yesterday asking if I would accept a November OKC class date for a certain lvl 7 tower/tracon. Apparently ZDC is very backed up on training for the foreseeable future and they are looking to move the TOL backlog elsewhere. The HR rep told me I could stay in the ZDC queue if I wanted but said the wait could be very long. Is anybody else getting this call?

NoGyro

Aug 6, 2008
What are some common towns that ZDC folks live in? Hoping to stay away from the build-up as much as possible.

ZDCATC

Newcomer
Feb 17, 2009
ZDC
There are several places ZDCers call home. If you want to be close - it is Leesburg and Ashburn VA, then moving out from there to the Northwest, you have Berryville VA, Purcellville VA, Round Hill VA, Charles Town WV, Ranson WV, even Inwood WV and Martinsburg WV. Depending on how far you want to drive, we even have guys who come down from just over the PA line to work here. You can also go to the North from ZDC, and find a lot of us are in Lucketts VA, Brunswick MD, and Frederick MD. I know of a few that are South, down 15 to Gainsville VA, some east as far as Baltimore MD and even a few that drive in from Washington DC. It really just depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay out here :)

ZDC_NJ

Newcomer
Mar 14, 2012
Oak Hill, VA
What are some common towns that ZDC folks live in? Hoping to stay away from the build-up as much as possible.
Pretty much what ZDCATC said. Although it's almost impossible to avoid build up in this area. The infrastructure of Leesburg wasn't made to accommodate the amount of people that live here now. 20 years ago it was a dot on the map.

You can live east of ZDC in the Ashburn/Sterling/Herndon/Reston area and you'll be driving against the heavy traffic flow to/from work But then you'll end up paying more for your rent or mortgage. But you're closer to DC and the DC nightlight and activities.

I live in Herndon, 3 miles east of IAD. Didn't want to move east of Leesburg but my wife works in DC so we had to make a somewhat compromise in the travel distance.

Pilot4life

Jun 5, 2014
Pretty much what ZDCATC said. Although it's almost impossible to avoid build up in this area. The infrastructure of Leesburg wasn't made to accommodate the amount of people that live here now. 20 years ago it was a dot on the map.

You can live east of ZDC in the Ashburn/Sterling/Herndon/Reston area and you'll be driving against the heavy traffic flow to/from work But then you'll end up paying more for your rent or mortgage. But you're closer to DC and the DC nightlight and activities.

I live in Herndon, 3 miles east of IAD. Didn't want to move east of Leesburg but my wife works in DC so we had to make a somewhat compromise in the travel distance.
I'm sure you and your wife are enjoying the expansion of the silver line, correct? I live in Leesburg and taking the silver line in Reston is 10x better than going to Vienna.

ZJXATCer

Newcomer
Oct 10, 2009
FL
Does anyone happen to know anything about the Lucketts area? I was visiting DC in July and went through there looking at houses and it seems kind of small (which is fine for me). But how is the traffic on 15? I heard that it can get pretty bad.

Pilot4life

Jun 5, 2014
Does anyone happen to know anything about the Lucketts area? I was visiting DC in July and went through there looking at houses and it seems kind of small (which is fine for me). But how is the traffic on 15? I heard that it can get pretty bad.
Going through Lucketts in the evening is horrible. Everyone traveling home back to maryland. But other than the traffic in the evening its a nice place.