Washington Center - ZDC

ZJXATCer

Newcomer
Oct 10, 2009
FL
Going through Lucketts in the evening is horrible. Everyone traveling home back to maryland. But other than the traffic in the evening its a nice place.
How long do you think the drive would be from the center to Lucketts during evening rush hour? Is it just as bad going south in the morning? Looking at historical traffic data on Google maps, it looks like the evening is much worse than the morning.

Pilot4life

Jun 5, 2014
How long do you think the drive would be from the center to Lucketts during evening rush hour? Is it just as bad going south in the morning? Looking at historical traffic data on Google maps, it looks like the evening is much worse than the morning.
Yea evenings are much worse. Best guess from center to Lucketts would be 30-45 minutes. Depends how far 15 is backed up into Leesburg

devriesc0801

Newcomer
Jan 23, 2014
I am looking into transferring into ZDC. I am new to the ERR process and do not know much about the Leesburg, VA area. First off, I think I heard that ZDC staffing levels are low?? Secondly, coming from a small midwest town, where I grew up, would the Leesburg area be similar at all?? I will be taking a weekend trip out there sometime in the next few months to check it out, just figured I would get in touch with a few of you who are actually there. Thanks!!

Pilot4life

Jun 5, 2014
I am looking into transferring into ZDC. I am new to the ERR process and do not know much about the Leesburg, VA area. First off, I think I heard that ZDC staffing levels are low?? Secondly, coming from a small midwest town, where I grew up, would the Leesburg area be similar at all?? I will be taking a weekend trip out there sometime in the next few months to check it out, just figured I would get in touch with a few of you who are actually there. Thanks!!
I live in Leesburg. Message me if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

ZDC

Newcomer
Jul 21, 2014
I also live in Leesburg and work at ZDC. I can probably answer most of your questions!

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Most people live just west or south of Leesburg in a neighboring Virginia town (e.g., Round Hill, Purcellville, Hamilton). If you want cheap suburbia, you go 30 minutes west to Winchester or Charles Town, WV. If you want a little more city with your suburbs, then you go to Frederick, MD. If you want restaurants and yoga studios, you look towards the greater D.C. metro.

There are plenty of places to rent in Leesburg that are affordable on what a trainee makes, so there's no need to compound the pain of training with a long commute.

atcontrolr

Newcomer
Jan 13, 2009
I retired from ZDC. The washout rate at ZDC is probably no different than any other center. Granted there are some very complicated areas in ZDC but with proper study and applying what you learn during the OJT process you have an average chance of making it thru to CPC status. Good luck. You'll LOVE the job and ZDC.

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
Depends on the area to which you're assigned, but not very different from other en route facilities (30% to 50%).
Lol. I know it's a ZDC thread, but the rate at ZJX is less than 5% - virtually everyone that's shown up in the past 6 years is given unlimited hours during training, 're-takes', and even being passed on check rides with no recommendations from anyone in the area. All depends on where you end up and the training culture.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
We were supposed to get 20-30 new hires from the Academy in FY15, and we got less than 10. 270 CPCs in 6 areas, with about 30% eligible to retire.

PushTin211

Nov 26, 2013
How is the training timeline at ZDC? Any issues with getting new hires up and running with training?

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
How is the training timeline at ZDC? Any issues with getting new hires up and running with training?
Not for now. Most developmentals are scheduled for a D-side class within four or five months of arriving, including the time they spend drawing their maps in the training department before certifying on the A-side. Even in the less well-staffed areas, most trainees get at least 3 days/10 hours of training a week. Obviously, in eighteen months when we've lost another 30 or 40 CPCs and the ratio of CPCs to trainees gets tighter, that could change.