Washington Dulles Tower - IAD

BKaczmarek

Rookie
Nov 27, 2010
Visited this facility on 12/15 on a drive from Florida-Pennsylvania. Seemed a nice stopping point. I came away with an "ehh" impression of the administrative staff, but an awesome impression from the controllers and supervisor on duty at the time. The two seemed vaguely disconnected, somehow.

Controllers seemed to have great camaraderie. They were all extremely laid back yet very professional. The overwhelming majority of them really appeared to love their jobs and for a CTI student really put out a good mindset. Had about a 45 minute chat with the supervisor about various things, then spent about 2 hours listening on various positions and having a chat with some of the controllers. Great people all around.

If you're looking for employment in the DC area I'd recommend having a visit to IAD tower. It's fairly interesting, in that though it's a level 11 it didn't seem frighteningly busy - ground was the most complex but even that was *fairly* straightforward. Was also informed that cert times were somewhere between 8 months from reporting time to final cert for the very best up to about 18 months.

If anyone from IAD happens to gloss over this, thanks for your hospitality - I came away most impressed.

njbadapple

Rookie
Feb 19, 2013
Looking for an update on this tower. If the government gets their **** together I'd like to get a tour of here. From recent comments, looks like the upper management was terrible a few years ago; maybe it's changed. Any developmentals or CPC's from here?

duckhuntr4

Newcomer
Feb 6, 2014
Wisconsin/North Dakota
I am currently a sophomore at UND getting my Bachelors in ATC and was wondering if anyone of you folks who are working/worked at IAD could give me some information on a potential internship at IAD for the summer of 2014. Any information at all is helpful. Thanks

foxtrotlimaalpha6

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2010
USA
Looking for info on this facility about staffing, training time, etc. Where do ERR's usually come from (in regards to facility level) and how often do they get ERR's?

ZJXATCer

Newcomer
Oct 10, 2009
FL
Does a current controller at IAD have any insight on the staffing situation there? I didn't see anyone interested in swapping out of there (both on StuckMic and NATCA boards), so I'm assuming the turnover rate is low.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Dulles is dream killer. Once you get in you never get out. (Of course im quoting from the movie " You Dont Mess with the Zohan") ... I am a former IAD ATCT intern from 2009 and let me tell you its gotten slower and slower each year...
If you want to be taken seriously, try to avoid quoting "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" or starting a war story with "I am a former IAD ATCT intern."

An ATC-10 tower is a good duty location, particularly for someone right out of the Academy. Most terminal CPCs start at ATC-9s or below. And people bid out of IAD all the time, including a friend of mine from the Air Force who left 3 years ago for PCT.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
If you read my comment in the RDU post... You would see the cutoff for terminal academy grads is now ATC-8. 8 and down you can be assigned. So that statement is incorrect. And unless IAD gets busier to me it doesnt seem like a place i personally would want to work at unless i had no other option and i had been cpc at say a 7 or an 8 for 3-5 years and wanted to move on to something better. To each his own.... And theres nothing wrong with stating i was an intern at IAD. sorry if you didnt find the opening statement funny it was the first thing that came to mind so for that i apologize for saying something you didnt like. Truth is without my internships i did in high school for the FAA theres a good chance i wouldnt be still elligible to go to OKC next year on this 2015 bid... So regardless what you think im damn proud of the fact i was an intern for a busy FAA facility at just the age of 16. And because of it i have built many connections inside the FAA and aviation world.

TimShady

Senior Analyst
Mar 12, 2009
Chicago
I think there are some people on here who see you giving advice on what facilities to pursue and stuff when you aren't even a trainee in the FAA is slightly amusing but mostly annoying. Having an internship previously is cool and all, but it doesn't give you any credibility among controllers.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
I understand that. I wasnt giving advice per say since im not a rated controller at IAD im just saying what i have seen when i was there and what i have heard from the OM, the ATM, and multiple controllers that work there. Any controller who works at IAD especially the older ones will tell you IAD is not what it used to be. Doesnt take a cpc to realize that.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
Has anyone heard stories of the facility they presently work at being " what is used to be ". My favorite is watching those same controllers going down the shitter after all the stories about how busy we "used to be "

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Well IAD used to be a level 12 when it was an up/down so i would say those older guys would say that is false.
Well, yeah -- they got traffic count for the radar arrivals and radar departures as well as what went on inside the Class D. Now they only get credit for the Class D, where the biggest change was losing Independence Air. I doubt the game seems that much different for Local or Ground than it was 10 years ago. The push is the push; it just lasts for an hour three times a day instead of 90 minutes three or four times a day.

If IAD got its chunk of approach airspace back from PCT, it would be an ATC-11 again at least, without any change in traffic for the tower portion of the facility.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Well, yeah -- they got traffic count for the radar arrivals and radar departures as well as what went on inside the Class D. Now they only get credit for the Class D, where the biggest change was losing Independence Air. I doubt the game seems that much different for Local or Ground than it was 10 years ago. The push is the push; it just lasts for an hour three times a day instead of 90 minutes three or four times a day.

If IAD got its chunk of approach airspace back from PCT, it would be an ATC-11 again at least, without any change in traffic for the tower portion of the facility.
i sure hope u mean class b...

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Yes, I meant Class B. The point stands - they have a lower count because they gave away their radar approach capability to PCT, but it didn't change things that much for Local and Ground.

I wish you luck in your career.