Wayne Gretzky of the Academy?

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
As you can see from my picture im pretty big into hockey... But regarding atc, i was conversing with some of my buddys regarding recent wash out rates at okc and how you are lucky if you make it by with a 70%... Well at least the majority of us at least... So getting to my point they brought up a question i had no answer to so thought i would ask yall on here... Has there ever been a prodigy (an ovechkin or a connor mcdavid if you will) go through the academy and get a 100% or something close to it specifically on enroute? Im sure there have been but thought it would be fun question to ask.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
I graduated the academy in 2011, all the " gretzkys" of the academy were mostly douches. i was probably 4th in the clas hand have been certified at a 8..11.. and 12 on that period of time. hes probably still sitting w a thumb up his ass at a level 7. its all relevant.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
I graduated the academy in 2011, all the " gretzkys" of the academy were mostly douches. i was probably 4th in the clas hand have been certified at a 8..11.. and 12 on that period of time. hes probably still sitting w a thumb up his ass at a level 7. its all relevant.
oh okay cool thanks for the input! Yeah that must have been annoying if he thought he was so much better than everyone else. If anything i feel like that attitude would make you a worse controller but what do i know. I just hope i dont wash out. Gonna work my ass off thats for sure.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
I've known lots of sim "Gretzky's" that wash out, and lots of people who sucked in sims who checked out no problem.
Interesting! Thanks for the insight NovemberEcho! So i guess those that work harder in the end are rewarded over those that are just naturally gifted? And as well is the academy THAT much different from your actual facility? I know its a sim vs real planes. But is the environment that much different too that i guess those "gretzkys" cant adjust?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I can't speak for center cause I've never done it, but it's pretty much impossible to make sims really realistic. Additionally a lot of it is some people just can't work as good with live traffic as they can a sim. Whether it's the pressure or other factors idk. Others just take a little longer for things to click so they struggle in the sims but then as they work life traffic everything starts to come together.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Ok cool! So then the 4th line grinders have just as much a shot at making it to a 12 than the 1st line all stars do then i am assuming. So i guess what im trying to get at is your performace at the academy (provided you dont fail) does not determine your future with the FAA. Is that correct? aka a student that passes with a 70 has just as good as a chance to become cpc at an ATC-12 just as much as a student that got a 90 at okc?

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
And when you get to your facility, whether you were hot shit or barely made it through the academy, don't talk about it. No one cares.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Boring ass shit. Politics and stuff. Baseball but who really cares about that? Controllers are a different breed so i honestly dont know what they like to talk about in the break room but i bet it wasnt about their last shift lol. Unless maybe if its something funny.