Well, Thanks Republican-voting Controllers!

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Considering controllers were required to report to work during the 2013 shutdown (matter of payment notwithstanding) and that the nature of ATC in and of itself is safety... I'm gonna go with yeah, probably a public safety position.
there are different definitions for essential personnel and public safety. However, per the IRS we fall under Oublic Safety Employees for our early retirement benefits, but I don't know if that counts towards the hiring freeze or not. NATCA is making it sound like we are frozen and they are trying to get us exempted but their language has been rather vague and not definitive.

PA27Pilot

Sep 21, 2009
There hasn't been clarification whether we are exempt from this or not. We have been considered public safety in the past, and we haven't been considered public safety for certain situations. To argue either way until they spell out who's exempt is silly. But you can argue this theme will be a reality for the next 4 years. Buckle up red bookers, the fun stops here.

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011
there are different definitions for essential personnel and public safety. However, per the IRS we fall under Oublic Safety Employees for our early retirement benefits, but I don't know if that counts towards the hiring freeze or not. NATCA is making it sound like we are frozen and they are trying to get us exempted but their language has been rather vague and not definitive.
Pretty sure the language says that basically everyone is frozen unless the agency asks for an exemption, which seems like a no brainer, but who knows.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing.
A good thing? From our viewpoint, I can't think of a single good thing that can come out of that. Specially for the young new guys looking to get hired, or that are in, but not vested yet.

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011
A good thing? From our viewpoint, I can't think of a single good thing that can come out of that. Specially for the young new guys looking to get hired, or that are in, but not vested yet.
Nothing may change, in that case, it could be good, considering the constant worry of privatizing would be gone.

Could get more substantial raises.

Of course, this may not happen, I just try to be positive. I do know some Nav Canada guys, and they love their system.

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011
Also, the amount of wasted money in the FAA from their inefficiency and lack of accountability is pretty alarming. I fir one would at least be infavor of the .gov tightening the reigns and making the agency more efficient.

Sierra Kilo

Dec 29, 2016
Kelly (Southwest CEO), seated directly across from Trump, pitched the president on the idea of creating a nonprofit group to handle air traffic control. Trump didn’t rule anything out, though he appeared more interested in making the case that the FAA should be run by a pilot.

I just think a non-pilot wouldn’t know the sophistication of the system,” Trump said.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, :p:p:p:p me, what a time to be on a hiring list.

SPOONY90

Trusted Contributor
Jun 11, 2014
Damn.... Ima be pissed if I'm dropping money to move to work for the FAA and be separated from my wife and kid only to find out they cut benefits and pay

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
The big orange weenie is pressing up against the balloon knot. Better grit your teeth and get ready for it.

And gsujake-if you think a pay raise would be anywhere in the cards here you are more delusional than you seemed before.

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011
Damn.... Ima be pissed if I'm dropping money to move to work for the FAA and be separated from my wife and kid only to find out they cut benefits and pay
Pretty sure they wouldn't cut pay. Look into how Nav Canada works. The bill put forth last year was very similar to that.