What Are My Options?

AN737

Newcomer
May 5, 2018
I am in training at a high level en route facility. I can already tell that I’m not a good fit and will not do well here. What are my options? I have been in the agency for just over a year now.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Your best bet is to continue training and do the best you can. If you're not a good fit, then the training process will make that clear. Your OJTIs and your supervisor will stop your training and send you to a training review board, to determine the next step. The story you want to be able to tell the training review board is that you have done your best and would like to continue, but you respect the opinion of your trainers and supervisors. If the TRB recommends termination and the ATM accepts its recommendation, then your case will go to NEST for processing into a slower facility where you might be better suited at this stage of your career.

There will always be some trainees who wash out of busier facilities, and it's usually not the end of their careers as controllers. This is particularly true if you've made it through your probationary period and/or have at least a couple of D-side certifications.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Actually just spoke to my friend who is washing out of ZMP and the nest had five people being offered three spots for Alaska FSS and so he was just terminated. He's trying to see if he can switch to data instead

AN737

Newcomer
May 5, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I hit my 1 year probation last week and working on my first 2 d sides (about 60 hours total). I know I would excel at a lower level terminal facility. I’ll stick it out and see what happens. Thanks!

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
There may be center FLMs who are comfortable ignoring the recommendation of their OJTIs to certify a trainee, while knowing that they will have to explain why in a TRB with no one's support. In 13 years, I haven't met any.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Unfortunately I believe none. From what he says, training team recommended him and supervisor declined to watch him. I'm sure there is more to the story than I am hearing
Once you get to 100% of your hours they have to give you a check ride. It's not uncommon that someone gets no recommendations from their trainers but will still get certified at their 100% check ride. If his training stopped before then I'd say there's definitely more to the story

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
Unfortunately I believe none. From what he says, training team recommended him and supervisor declined to watch him. I'm sure there is more to the story than I am hearing
I know who you’re talking about now... yeah there’s more to the story I know

Last edited:

PA27Pilot

Sep 21, 2009
If you’ve already got some D-sides I would guess there is a good chance you’ll be offered a lower level tower. I wouldn’t be afraid to let the TRB know that you’d feel more comfortable with that for whatever reasons you may have.

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
If you’ve already got some D-sides I would guess there is a good chance you’ll be offered a lower level tower. I wouldn’t be afraid to let the TRB know that you’d feel more comfortable with that for whatever reasons you may have.
My buddy did exactly that with all his D-Sides after going to the TRB after his first R-Sector and he got NEST’d and put at a lower level tower