What Are Some Options for Military Controllers Who Do Not Have a CTO?

jagraves10

Newcomer
Apr 9, 2018
I just finished my military career as a controller but never had the opportunity to receive a Major Qual/CTO.

Does anyone know what some of my options as I try and take the next step in my ATC career. I am currently 31 so it is to late for the Off the Street hire from the FAA, and the FAA is telling me that you MUST currently already have a CTO for the Prior Experience Bid.

Does anyone know where I can get hired without a CTO? I have 5 years experience as an Instructor, and have qualifications on Ground, Tower Data, Radar Final Control, Clearance Delivery, and Range Control.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
I'm honestly not sure how you weren't instantly denied on the prior experience bid for not having one of those qual's, but it's the FAA so it makes sense. What branch were you in?

You could get your aircraft dispatch certification and work for the airlines. That's a pretty nice career once you get to a major airline.

jagraves10

Newcomer
Apr 9, 2018
I was a Marine Corps Officer so my resume shows that I was a Facility Officer so they may have misinterpreted that designation as a qualification.

Would I have to go back to school to become an aircraft dispatcher or are my current qualifications enough to get that certification?

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
I’m thinking since you don’t have any certifications that the FAA would accept, like a CTO or RADAR approach control ratings, your best bet would probably be an “off the street” bid. There are requirements you’d have to meet so do a little research and try for it. There is supposedly one set for the end of June so look into the requirements/qualifications and if you need to check any more of those boxes you’d have a few months to do so. Good luck man.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
At 31, he’s too old for an off the street bid. Unless you were able to talk a contract tower into letting you get a cto, the only other option would be a school like Advanced ATC. It’s pretty expensive, but it gets you on the track to a cto and experience for the FAA. That would give you until your 36th bday to be hired.

You would need to go through a course and take the exam for your aircraft dispatch cert. They’re typically only about 4-8 weeks depending on whether you do the full time or part time option. The cost when I got mine in 2012 was around $4-5k. I believe you can use the gi bill, but you would need to research that.

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
Damn forgot about the age thing. Maybeeeee you can try to get a contract job overseas? Maybe..