What Happens to a CPC-IT's Pay After a Failure

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
I'm at a level 7 facility that I arrived at as a level 8. In addition I got the 2012 CPC raise. I currently get paid the base CPC of a level 8 facility as per the contractual raise. In theory if I make it thru the program I would get the other half of my pay raise from my level 5 tower.

But what happens if I don't make it? Do I loose the 2012 raise and go back to level 5 pay from two years ago? Or would I keep the contractual raise and hopefully fall within the new facilities payband?

Thanks, it seems to be Redbook grey area.

C

charliezuluatc

If you went from a level 5 to a 7, and then washed out, if your pay is above the level 5 pay band, your pay should go to the top of the level 5 pay band. In the olden days, aka the green book, you used to get to keep the pay. So people transferred up, washed out intentionally then went home with a pay raise. That's assuming you have return rights.

C

charliezuluatc

We have a level 12 cpc transfer to a level 11. Washed out on the d side. Their previous facility does not want them back. Things have changes big time since 05 and the IWR. For those waiting to get hired, who were probably in middle school at the time, Imposed Work Rules. We once had a dress code. The supervisor could send you home to change just for you wearing what they thought were out of character.
Don't get me started on the few that wore orange jump suits. Me personally I bought light blue dickies pants and a white polo shirt.

C

charliezuluatc

Btw it's been confirmed, faa managers do read these forums.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
The answer is in Art 108, Sec 6a. Your pay is reset to what it was at the last facility where you were certified, effective on the date that you transferred to your current facility. (I believe this is just for retirement calculation purposes, not to recoup the difference between your old pay and your current pay. Ask your rep.)

Under Art 61, you should be offered up to five facilities equal to or lower than your last facility, including your last facility if a vacancy exists. Once you accept a new position, the rules in Art 108 for CPC transfer pay apply, although you will be ineligible for any PCS money.

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
I don't think its as much personality conflict as more I'm a much better tower controller than radar. I don't feel natural at radar and don't like that I can be swamped there. can handle 95% of it, but the weekend warrior VFR days have a chance to put me under. Just trying to understand my options if this does not work out.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
I don't think its as much personality conflict as more I'm a much better tower controller than radar. I don't feel natural at radar and don't like that I can be swamped there. can handle 95% of it, but the weekend warrior VFR days have a chance to put me under. Just trying to understand my options if this does not work out.
IMO this comment shows a humbled controller... knowing your limits is a good thing.