What is the FAA Academy like?

flyinrico

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2009
As a non-OTS'er, I generally don't spend time in the OTS forum. Any chance the above thread could be moved to the Academy forum. It might get more responses, greater visibility and less repeated questions!

Not that its a big deal, but do shirts have to be tucked in at the Academy?

opie

stepchild
Nov 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
Re: What is Academy like?

Oklahoma is only now getting over repeal of the 18th amendment. You will only find the big brands (Bud, Miller & Coors) available in 3.2 and cold in a grocery store. In a liquor store you will find the special beers, wine, and liquor. One of the quirks is a liquor store can only sell warm beer and nothing non-alcholic such as mixers. This leads to a special Margarita mix being made for Oklahoma that has 1% alchohol so it can be sold in liquor stores. Fortunately Isola Bella has a 7-11 and a liquor door next door which also means we are more than 300 feet from a church.

Cheers,:cheers:
The RedBaron

can you get ANY high gravity beers? 9%+

flyinrico

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2009
It's been a while since it's been mentioned, but The Flying Penguin blog is an excellent read for a day to day feel at the Academy. Granted he attended the Academy back in 2007, it's still well worth your time.

He takes you through the first few days, tower, RTF and training at his facility. So far it's answered quite a few question I had regarding the academics.

Last edited:

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Re: What is Academy like?

can you get ANY high gravity beers? 9%+
People get really excited about Four Loko here. You can get it, and regular beer, in liquor stores. They had Steel Reserve and some of that other garbage at Homeland, too.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
4 loko will kill ya tho i think. I know it would kill me... I'd drink 10 and have heart failure

Nistlerooy

Rookie
Feb 25, 2011
ZOA
It's been a while since it's been mentioned, but The Flying Penguin blog is an excellent read for a day to day feel at the Academy. Granted he attended the Academy back in 2007, it's still well worth your time.

He takes you through the first few days, tower, RTF and training at his facility. So far it's answered quite a few question I had regarding the academics.
In his blog, he mentions taking that AT-SAT again on the 3rd day. Do they still do this? If so, do you take it regardless of tower, center, tracon, etc.? I mean, I scored pretty well on it, but that was a traumatic event--one I would fear reliving again! Well, ok, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic, but still...

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
In his blog, he mentions taking that AT-SAT again on the 3rd day. Do they still do this? If so, do you take it regardless of tower, center, tracon, etc.? I mean, I scored pretty well on it, but that was a traumatic event--one I would fear reliving again! Well, ok, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic, but still...
Sorta. CAMI -- the Civil Aeronautical Medical Institute -- is here at the MMAC too. They like to use new students for experiments, often involving the AT-SAT. What part of it you'll take, or if you'll take it at all, varies by when you're here.

For our group, we were supposed to retake the Scenarios and Letter Factory section both at the beginning of and the end of Basics. Then the weather turned bad and we ended up having a lot of time cancelled, so they dropped the second time around. Other classes have taken the two at the beginning of their Initial Terminal/En Route training.

Everybody did a lot worse than what how they performed during the original application, by the way. I guess you don't care as much once you're in... it's not like the score matters any more. I looked over during Scenarios at one guy's screen; he had like twenty planes flashing at him that weren't selected yet.

Nistlerooy

Rookie
Feb 25, 2011
ZOA
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.
Everybody did a lot worse than what how they performed during the original application, by the way.
If you had to guess, why do you think that is? It seems like if we've taken it before that we'd do better having had previous exposure. Any thoughts?

ladiesolo

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2009
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

If you had to guess, why do you think that is? It seems like if we've taken it before that we'd do better having had previous exposure. Any thoughts?
Some didn't care when they took it at the Academy. I watched some people crash planes for fun...

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Probably a lot because of what ladiesolo says. You're already here, so you're not quite as mentally into it. A couple other reasons for me is feeling kind of dead after driving for four days and enduring a day of orientation lectures (you'll be bored to death after that first day), and not having prepped like I had for the real thing. I spent a lot of time on the Jeremy Justice practice version of the Scenario portion before the application AT-SAT, so it was pretty easy when I did it then. This time around, it had been over two years later... I wasn't as up to speed.

On that note, I remember reading a study from a few years ago that talked about a group of controllers (not students) who they had take the AT-SAT. I don't recall the exact score, but not all passed, and it may not have even averaged in the WQ range. I'll try to get around to digging it up sometime, but just goes to show that it's only of limited value in predicting actual aptitude.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
4 loko will kill ya tho i think. I know it would kill me... I'd drink 10 and have heart failure
At 12%, I would pay to see you try to get past about 5 of them.

Unfortunately, FOUR LOKO is no longer what it once was. When the FDA smacked them around, they took all the fun stuff (ie. energy drink) out of it. Now when you go buy a FOUR LOKO, you are essentially buying a 12% watermelon flavored malt lq.

Not sure quite how this ties to what the academy is like, but there is definitely some drinking at times on the weekends ;)