What to study on short notice???

BigA

Newcomer
Jun 4, 2012
I couldn't find a straight answer to this question on here, so forgive me if I overlooked it somewhere, but here's the scoop...

I haven't taken an ATC course in school for three years and my job I've had worked me 50-60 hours a week, so studying at home got overlooked after school ended. I finally got the call to go to the academy giving me about a week to pre-study.

After being out of the loop for three years, what I had learned has faded pretty good.

-What things do I absolutely have to study before going down to the academy?

-What things do you recommend studying, but will be briefed when you get down there, so it's not as required?

-Do they pretty much start you from scratch, so if you study hard when there, you will do fine?

-Any other recommendations?

I'm not a nervous person by nature, but I'm a bit worried that I will get down there and my memory won't come back as fast as I hope.

Thanks for any help!

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
You can look at phraseology. Other than that, they will go over everything with you. You might as well enjoy your week as the next four will most likely suck. For en route, I studied a ton the first month. It's about all I did. Once you start running problems (especially radar), there really isn't much to do.

joeffling

Jun 16, 2009
I am in the same boat as you. I am not cramming at all but I am doing some reading (7110.65, AIM, FAR), a lot of it is coming back very quickly. I kept all of my binders and lesson plans from school, a little about airports, airspace, separation, etc. But I'm not sitting here trying to remember everything just yet. Just want to get the gears turning again.

dreweepoo

Jan 20, 2012
I have a 700 question Air Traffic Basics Review Guide which includes a key. It's alot to go over, but do a couple each day and it may be helpful. It's common Air Traffic Knowledge you'll definitely need to know.

"This document was created by and distributed by the FAA AT CTI Program Office to CTI Institutions for dissemination to those students who are participating in the Air Traffic CTI Program
This “AT Basics Review Guide” is intended to refresh and test student knowledge of the material required to master the knowledge needed to enter “Initial Training” at the FAA Academy. A thorough knowledge of the contents including context of the material is important to being prepared to success during you your training."

PM me your email and ill try to get it sent over to ya

BigA

Newcomer
Jun 4, 2012
Thanks for all the pointers so far.

dreweepoo, your inbox is full, so if you clear a few out I can shoot a PM over to ya.

Thanks again

Diverpilot

Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for all the pointers so far.

dreweepoo, your inbox is full, so if you clear a few out I can shoot a PM over to ya.

Thanks again

just google, air traffic basic review and its the first hit...

TimShady

Senior Analyst
Mar 12, 2009
Chicago
Classroom portion is easy so don't stress too much. If you wanna look over the AT Basics that would be fine. To get ahead of the class you can learn the airport diagram and aircraft we use. It's slow and pretty boring at first to be honest though, I'm on day 8. Don't sweat it.

BigA

Newcomer
Jun 4, 2012
Cool stuff, thanks everyone.

The airport is pretty much identical to the one used at school, so I should pick up on that quick.