What Would You Do?

cjcutcher

Newcomer
Nov 24, 2017
GA
Good Evening!

I'm a current student in a CTO program expected graduation Oct. 2019. I would eventually like to make a career as a controller (preferably tower option) in the FAA and I'm 27 years old. Should I shoot for an off the street bid and fill the "needs of the FAA" then work my way towards a tower after getting radar qualled (if I don't get tower bid) at a facility OR just wait after gaining at least a year of tower experience and put in a direct hire tower bid? What would you do?

Thank you,
Chris

Ceedubya

Rookie
Jan 23, 2018
Texas
Good Evening!

I'm a current student in a CTO program expected graduation Oct. 2019. I would eventually like to make a career as a controller (preferably tower option) in the FAA and I'm 27 years old. Should I shoot for an off the street bid and fill the "needs of the FAA" then work my way towards a tower after getting radar qualled (if I don't get tower bid) at a facility OR just wait after gaining at least a year of tower experience and put in a direct hire tower bid? What would you do?

Thank you,
Chris
Honestly, from what I’ve read being CTI or OTS mean the same thing. Given your age you should apply during open bids while you still have time, can’t hurt if you think about it.

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
Well you should never not apply... apply pool 2 OTS if you dont qualify for pool one. Its that simple the math also says you have a better chance in pool one than pool two. You don't really have a choice and if you do it obvious to pick pool one.

Ceedubya

Rookie
Jan 23, 2018
Texas
Well you should never not apply... apply pool 2 OTS if you dont qualify for pool one. Its that simple the math also says you have a better chance in pool one than pool two. You don't really have a choice and if you do it obvious to pick pool one.
Out of curiosity, other than the 5-10 point benefit you receive as a CTI grad, and the fact you’re pool 1 so your chances of a TOL greatly increase based on ATSA scores, what other advantages does pool 1 provide? I’m pool 2 OTS enroute and this was my first bid.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Has anyone every actually been hired from one of those CTO programs? How do you get 52 weeks experience?

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Out of curiosity, other than the 5-10 point benefit you receive as a CTI grad, and the fact you’re pool 1 so your chances of a TOL greatly increase based on ATSA scores, what other advantages does pool 1 provide? I’m pool 2 OTS enroute and this was my first bid.
Veterans have 5 and 10 point preference. CTI has no point preference. The only benefit is not having to take (and pass) the BA.

To the OP, your decision is easy. Apply to the OTS bid as you continue your program. Continue working towards graduation with the intent of working at one of their contract towers to gain 52 weeks prior experience. If you get selected on the OTS bid, great. If not, you'll continue working to the point you'd qualify for the prior experience bids.

Why you said absolutely do both...
OTS bid is your quickest way into the agency. If you pass the academy, great. You get to start your career earlier then anticipated. If you fail, you can still go back and qualify (or work towards getting the hours necessary to qualify) for a prior experience bid. You do not need to attend the academy for a prior experience bid and prior academy washouts are still eligible for this track.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Has anyone every actually been hired from one of those CTO programs? How do you get 52 weeks experience?
There are a bunch from the AATC program currently in the FAA and I personally know a few more that are just waiting on a new bid. AATC has the contract at 4 towers where they send students to gain the necessary experience. It’s actually a pretty good program from what I hear, if you can afford it.

Also to OP. Do what sayagain suggested. Continue through the program and apply to any bids you qualify for and work towards getting a cto and 52 weeks post certification. That will at least give you the opportunity to work in a tower if you were to get enroute and don’t make it.

Sosac21

Jul 17, 2016
Apply for everything, pick the first offer they give you, nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to the FAA, so if you get picked up OTS you’ll be saving money by not finishing school. I know guys that have been applying for 7 Prior experience Bids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Apply as often as you are eligible to apply, because you're on the clock to get hired before you turn 31. If you get picked up before completing school, you're done. If you don't, then you've created another option.

Papa_Yankme

Sep 17, 2013
Apply as often as you are eligible to apply, because you're on the clock to get hired before you turn 31. If you get picked up before completing school, you're done. If you don't, then you've created another option.
thought the new age was 35?

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Sosac, what is their experience? Something isn’t right if they’ve applied to that many experienced bids and haven’t been selected.

The age 35 rule is if you have at least 52 weeks atc experience post certification (cto/approach) experience. Doesn’t matter how you got that experience as long as you qualify.

Papa_Yankme

Sep 17, 2013
Sosac, what is their experience? Something isn’t right if they’ve applied to that many experienced bids and haven’t been selected.

The age 35 rule is if you have at least 52 weeks atc experience post certification (cto/approach) experience. Doesn’t matter how you got that experience as long as you qualify.
Cool Thanks!

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Definitely apply to both. If you get selected OTS you may get enroute, but you're just as likely if not moreso to get an up/down facility.

Arthurfrancis2

Jan 11, 2017
Good Evening!

Thank you,
Chris
You need to get on each and every bid you don't have much time before you run out of eligibility

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk