Whats the Craziest “how Did That Person Make It Through the Accademy” Academy Story.

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
Not about someone at your facility but rather someone you saw while at the academy. Ever have someone pass after getting extremely sick and missing a day or two of class? Is that even “legal”? Anyone ever get to final evals where they had to get all 100% on them or they wouldn’t have made it. And somehow made it through with a 70.0%.

AdamSmitty

Newcomer
Jun 7, 2017
Someone I know did great on the academics, and so-so on non-radar (enroute). Did ok on the first radar eval, got a 0 on the second, needed a 96% on the third and got the 96% - those last two runs were in the same day. I think that would be pretty tough for anyone to recover from, but he did it!

Wycked

Aug 22, 2013
ZAB
knew a girl that washed on the 2nd problem, submitted a few TR's and got them...needed a 98 on the last problem and got 100. Don't know anyone that topped that.

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008
The opposite of what you asked. There was a guy that needed a 7 on his last radar Eval to pass and wound up failing.

JNev

Sep 17, 2012
Baltimore/Philly
The opposite of what you asked. There was a guy that needed a 7 on his last radar Eval to pass and wound up failing.
I'd probably park my car in an enclosed garage with the engine running if that happened to me. (Totally joking in case anyone important is reading this)

Babs85

Nov 9, 2016
PIT
I'd probably park my car in an enclosed garage with the engine running if that happened to me. (Totally joking in case anyone important is reading this)
The result of your MMPI-2 will determine if you were joking or not lol

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
Not implying that it would be the case but what are the circumstances like at the academy as far as who evaluates you. Is it a stranger who knows nothing about your current grade or is it an instructor that you know pretty well. Is it "physically" possible that an the might have a bias while evaluating your radar evaluations. Sounds like for the most part a lot of the evaluation is a matter of opinion on how you performed so long as there aren't any separation errors that would have to be counted?

BGaviator13

Apr 10, 2015
Not implying that it would be the case but what are the circumstances like at the academy as far as who evaluates you. Is it a stranger who knows nothing about your current grade or is it an instructor that you know pretty well. Is it "physically" possible that an the might have a bias while evaluating your radar evaluations. Sounds like for the most part a lot of the evaluation is a matter of opinion on how you performed so long as there aren't any separation errors that would have to be counted?
If you make it to the third eval, then they don’t want to see you fail. They know the number you need to graduate. If you demonstrate that you know what you’re doing and don’t completely screw up the problem and have multiple separation errors, then you should be fine. The first two runs are plenty to weed out those who shouldn’t make it out.

logic671

Newcomer
Nov 6, 2016
Similar thing happened to me. Needed a 6% on my final eval to pass and I got a 0. TR'd and got back 11%. I took that shit and ran out the room.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
What is TR?
Technical Review. It's a way to challenge a score that you don't agree with.
Most likely the evaluators don't really know anything about the students they watch. Except for when RPOs come back through for ATC training, they'd be pretty well known I think.

Babs85

Nov 9, 2016
PIT
Technical Review. It's a way to challenge a score that you don't agree with.
Most likely the evaluators don't really know anything about the students they watch. Except for when RPOs come back through for ATC training, they'd be pretty well known I think.
Oh ok. Good to know lol

KStoves

Aug 22, 2011
In terminal the evaluators had no idea who we were or how we were doing... I can't speak for enroute.

I made another thread suggesting there is an element of "luck" regarding whether you pass or not. Some people are giving me grief about that, but how else do you explain people getting a score in the 90's and then a score in the single digits. Clearly anyone who can score in the 90s is capable of working the traffic and passing.... I've been referring to that inconsistency as luck, but maybe there's a better word for it.

Babs85

Nov 9, 2016
PIT
Lol yeah I've seen the beating you were getting from that post. I wouldn't call it luck but I understand what you're saying.

Trigglypuff

Newcomer
Jan 23, 2018
In terminal the evaluators had no idea who we were or how we were doing... I can't speak for enroute.

I made another thread suggesting there is an element of "luck" regarding whether you pass or not. Some people are giving me grief about that, but how else do you explain people getting a score in the 90's and then a score in the single digits. Clearly anyone who can score in the 90s is capable of working the traffic and passing.... I've been referring to that inconsistency as luck, but maybe there's a better word for it.
There are three levels of difficulty in the enroute problems. Usually the hardest one is the one that people score the lowest points on. Air traffic has absolutely nothing to do with luck. It's called knowing your shit.

KStoves

Aug 22, 2011
There are three levels of difficulty in the enroute problems. Usually the hardest one is the one that people score the lowest points on. Air traffic has absolutely nothing to do with luck. It's called knowing your shit

The terminal problems are supposed to be all the same level of difficulty. I didn't realize enroute got a couple of easy ones thrown into the mix. That explains the inconsistency for enroute.

Otherwise you would hear about a guy who got a 98 and say "he knew what he was doing and worked really hard." Then you would hear about a guy who got a 0 and say "well he sucked, didn't take it seriously and isn't cut out for this job." When you find out it was the same guy who got both scores in the same day... it's harder to make sense if it. That's all I was saying by luck.