What's the Latest at the Academy?

toodarnedold

Newcomer
Mar 10, 2013
It's been a long time coming, but it appears I'm finally actually getting a class date. Always wanted to go to a center, but terminal it is and I'm NOT complaining. I'm just wondering what the current situation/process is in OKC.

I hear they've recently done away with regions/service areas? My most recent contact seemed to think we'll be given a list of options between Guam and the US Virgin Islands - oy, that's quite a range! Are they still limiting the lists to <level 9, with most facilities being 5-7? That's actually fine with me, I think I'm more interested in hitting CPC quickly than anything else. I'd happily go to any level 7 up/down as long as I could afford to live there.

How about travel? As I understand it, if I drive TO Oklahoma, I get some extra time to report to my actual facility, though my reimbursement will be limited to whatever the plane ticket would cost. I don't care about having a car in OKC, but I will definitely need to have it wherever I end up. My plan is to fly home immediately (on my dime) and then drive to my facility. I don't care about the costs, but the extra days could be vital depending on where I end up. If flying there means I have no choice but to report the Monday following graduation, perhaps I should fly into Dallas and buy a beater to drive in??

Besides facility selection, are there any other recent changes to the Academy process I should be aware of? I'm hoping to get my paperwork on Tuesday, which should answer many of my questions, but with only a couple weeks to plan, I want as much information as I can get as soon as I can get it.

PS - for those who have been waiting forever, there is still hope!

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
You get 64 hours of change of station leave on top of whatever time they give you to get there from the Acacemy. When yiu find out where you're going just call the facility and talk to them and ask to use however many days you need of the cos leave.

toodarnedold

Newcomer
Mar 10, 2013
I'm aware of the hours of paid leave, but I'm hoping to save as much of that as is feasible to use in the future when I've actually found a more permanent place to live - I will be travelling light when I first report. I'm referring to this memo: http://www.natcareloaded.com/images/SKMBT_C654e14091211480.pdf which I believe/hope is still current. It seems to indicate that if you choose to drive, you are granted a certain number of days extra excused absence based on the distance from the Academy to your facility. Obviously, if I'm not the only one who chooses my facility, I'd report ASAP - but other than that, driving and getting a little extra time to get to who-knows-where would be better in pretty much every way.

I think I've read, though, that it's based on whether you flew or drove TO Oklahoma. I'd otherwise be inclined to fly there, but I don't want to limit my options on the other side.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
You're not going to be able to use change of station leave for anything else other than a change of station, so I'd use that up as much as possible while you can.

Aug 10, 2014
If you drive home, regardless of if you flew to, You are allotted a certain number of days based on distance. I was given 4 days for OKC to Great Falls, MT, then my facility allowed me to use as much of my COS as I needed.

toodarnedold

Newcomer
Mar 10, 2013
You're not going to be able to use change of station leave for anything else other than a change of station, so I'd use that up as much as possible while you can.
Hmmm, is this a recent change? I was under the impression that you had two years to use your 64 COS hours. Aside from a few extra days to bring out my car and some essentials, they'd be far more useful to me if I could use them once I've actually found a home to move into.

Also, I'm glad to hear that it sounds like your Academy arrival method isn't tied to your travel to your facility.

That's honestly all small stuff, though - at the end of it, if I had three days to show up in Alaska, I'd be grinning in Alaska in the days.

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
What about pass rates for en route? Anyone know? I was under the impression that the Academy was basically pass / pass, but I read from someone who went recently that the pass rate for his class (which was en route) was only about half. Is this typical?

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
What about pass rates for en route? Anyone know? I was under the impression that the Academy was basically pass / pass, but I read from someone who went recently that the pass rate for his class (which was en route) was only about half. Is this typical?
Yes this is typical. Enroute is historically k re difficult at the Academy. Typically 60-80% of a class pass. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Depends who is there to study and who is there to party.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
RTF is pass/fail if its your first go at the academy. If you're coming back after certifying in a tower its "graded" but, you still go to your facility and start training no matter what the score is.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
RTF is pass/fail if its your first go at the academy. If you're coming back after certifying in a tower its "graded" but, you still go to your facility and start training no matter what the score is.
I heard the same. It's going to be interesting to see how they approach it with the direct hires who certify in the tower but have never been to the academy.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
I heard the same. It's going to be interesting to see how they approach it with the direct hires who certify in the tower but have never been to the academy.
The theory in RTF being pass/pass is that most of the people in class are coming from up-downs. And if you are already certified in the tower portion of you facility a large amount of time and money have already been invested in you and washing you out of the radar portion of the Academy would throw all that time and money away. Also... you are a bargaining unit employee and it is more difficult to wash you out.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Weve got a couple guys at my facility that were hired in the mid-late 90's, prior military with CTO's. Same deal as what they are doing today. They didnt gi to tower class and RTF was pass/pass for them also. I guess once you prove you can do the job to some extent, their's no sense in firing someone cause they did bad on a made up scenario.

Feb 28, 2014
definitely not pass/pass. En route is at about a 60% pass rate I believe. My class and previous classes were right at that mark