Whats Wrong with This Picture?

atcjunkie

Mar 12, 2014
Georgia
You are a 45 yearold private pilot with a 1st class Medical dated September 1, 2010and have been waiting for your business associate to arrive for aflight the two of you want to take from Gaithersburg MD to Richmond,VA. Your friend wants to sit in the left seat and do some of theflying. He is not a yet a licensed pilot, but has soloed a few weeksago. He has offered to pay you for the flight. You finally getairborne two hours late and it is now getting dark. The clouds meanyou will have to fly below 2,000 feet for the trip which will takeyou around the restricted area over Washington DC.

What regulations from Part 61 and 67that may be an issue?

m57

Mar 22, 2014
I'm very rusty on my FARs but he is not allowed to pay you for the flight but he is allowed to contribute up to half of the cost.

I'm guessing the other issue likely has to do with night VFR cloud clearance mins.

DaLighter

Dec 21, 2012
14 CFR 61.89
14 CFR 61.113
14 CFR 61.23

I've had this exact same question in my aviation regulations class a few semesters ago. Hope this helps in some way.

Stinger

May 24, 2009
You are flying with an expired medical in MVFR weather at night around the Washington SFRA.
Medicals are good for five years now. You get a first class, it's good for a year, then downgrades to a second for a year I think, then you get an extra 3 years when it downgrades to a third class.

But since the pilot is over 40, I've got no clue really.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
You were over 40 when you last received your medical. 14 CFR part 61.23 states Class I medicals for the purpose of exercising PPL privileges expire on the last day of the 24th month after the date of issue for those who are over age 40 on the date of their last medical.