When You’re Offered a Class Date....

Willian09

Newcomer
Jul 21, 2017
When you are offered a class date do you have the option to ask for another class date that may work better for you? Or are you stuck with the one offered to you?

I have only read about 2 people who needed a different date. One of them was told, better luck next year and the other was able to push his date a month. Share your experience.

AdamSmitty

Newcomer
Jun 7, 2017
My experience was they offer you one and give you a reasonable time. I was called in late February for a mid-May date on my bid (a few years ago). Anecdotally, they will honor a request for a legit reason like you’re getting married, a baby is due, you have a vacation planned, etc. You can always ask. Whether people are told yes or no probably just depends on that HR person.

Bravo Delta

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
North Carolina
They work with you, before I got picked up on the experienced bid I got offered a start date of the day before Thanksgiving, ask for a new class date they have me Christmas eve lol.

Papa_Yankme

Sep 17, 2013
They work with you, before I got picked up on the experienced bid I got offered a start date of the day before Thanksgiving, ask for a new class date they have me Christmas eve lol.
How did they know that was exactly the kind of thing you were looking for?

CJS27

Oct 19, 2016
When you are offered a class date do you have the option to ask for another class date that may work better for you? Or are you stuck with the one offered to you?

I have only read about 2 people who needed a different date. One of them was told, better luck next year and the other was able to push his date a month. Share your experience.
I was offered the end of December and was able to push it back a month (baby being born). I have heard of people pushing dates back due to school as well (people who had a few months left in their last semester). When I asked if I could switch, they gave me 3 different dates and I picked the one that worked best for my situation.

It is less likely they will switch you if you don't have a specific reason, but I have seen a couple people do it.

Logical_Mongoose

Newcomer
Nov 8, 2017
DTW
In early/mid October I was offered an early December class date. I politely asked if there were any other later class dates I could opt for and they told me I could opt for one right before Christmas or one right after New Year's. They told me there was also one at the end of January, but that one would require me to give a special reason as to why I wanted to wait that long.

So, if you ask nicely they can push you back one or two class dates without a problem. Anything more than that I'd suspect you would have to give them a decent reason why.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Babs85

Nov 9, 2016
PIT
I was offered a class in October. Had it pushed twice and am now going at the end of February. This is due to my wife needing surgery.

SynEclipse

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2014
TOL in March 2017 for terminal. I received zero contact from FAA after my papers were turned in until January 2018 where I was told I have a class date March 5 2018. I told them 2 months is too soon (was not waiting around for a shot at the academy). I asked for a later date, in the fall, they came back with March 22 2018 or else I must turn down the job offer with no future class date. They said I couldn't get an extension because they need the numbers in March at the academy. I told them they won't get the number either way since I can't do March and will need to turn it down. They said too bad, decide in a week.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
TOL in March 2017 for terminal. I received zero contact from FAA after my papers were turned in until January 2018 where I was told I have a class date March 5 2018. I told them 2 months is too soon (was not waiting around for a shot at the academy). I asked for a later date, in the fall, they came back with March 22 2018 or else I must turn down the job offer with no future class date. They said I couldn't get an extension because they need the numbers in March at the academy. I told them they won't get the number either way since I can't do March and will need to turn it down. They said too bad, decide in a week.
Dude March is plenty of time. Try not to turn it down!

DeltaNiner

Rookie
Feb 22, 2017
Pushed mine 4 months back because do to my apartment lease. I had everything finished for like a month and kept asking when they think I'd be clear and what I could expect. In the meantime my lease was running out and I had to sign something or be homeless. I signed a short term lease, literally 2 weeks later they give me a class date that was about a month away. Luckily they approved my request

chkwheelsdwn

Jun 8, 2009
Osan AFB, Korea
They told me specifically dont worry we will give you two months. Time came and they called and said ughhh hey can you be here in two weeks. Being a controller at critically manned tower i said hell no. She said ok how about 3 weeks...i said dude you guys said 2 months out what do you have. She said ok heres a date 50 days out. I said thanks and was done. Easy

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
lol, they're getting their number either way because someone else would take your place. Simply put, 2 months is an eternity, if you can't adjust your life to make that happen, you have bigger issues to resolve.