Where will you choose to work for PUBNAT8?

MeinNC

Aug 20, 2009
Coastal
Nice links, clooney!

Quick question- when GeoPrefs come out, do you simply put down the states or actual facilities? I see people on here naming both (states and actual facilities) and I was wondering if they're just being specific for the purpose of posting.

I think we'll be going with Puerto Rico and Texas. I kind of wish we could put down NC (where we live) but I just get the feeling that we might be shooting ourselves in the foot, as I've heard around that NC is pretty well taken care of.

Hatty

Newcomer
Jun 9, 2009
Seattle, WA
Nice links, clooney!

Quick question- when GeoPrefs come out, do you simply put down the states or actual facilities? I see people on here naming both (states and actual facilities) and I was wondering if they're just being specific for the purpose of posting.
For the Geo Prefs, you select one or two states. There is a comment box with the instructions to list specific counties if you selected a large state (for example TX, CA).

There is some debate regarding what to do with this comment box (list specific facilities that you want/don't want, etc) Also, its hard to say how much this box really affects things. There are whole threads dedicated to this issue.

clooney

Newcomer
Jul 12, 2009
TBH- I have heard many views of the Geo Prefs email that you are suppose to receive. But I have read that in later pubnat's that they are doing away with this email, and you are filling out your "ideal" location within the application, as I'm sure you did for this one. Yes I have read many posts about how you should select throughtout the nation- but this would be counterproductive for the employment staff (I understand its the FAA...). But I do feel that they will eventually be using the information from our application on our ten picks.

Pinl84

Rookie
Sep 29, 2009
wow very good info folks. Ill take it all to heart. I wanna do this bad enough I am literally willing to work anywhere. Obviously I have some dream locations but I dont think Im gonna tell the FAA that in case these locations are full. My plan...anywhere. I dont think my wife appreciates that attitude but I feel like God will put us wherever he wants us if ATC is in his plans for me(Which I really hope they are). Ive wanted to do this since I was 17 so now that Im actually eligible Im gonna give it everything I got. Even if it means moving to alaska or hawaii or louisianna or wherever. Anyone on the same page as me? Anyone want it that bad?
I'm with you, I want it real bad, so bad that all they have to do is give me a chance, failure doesn't exist, it's not an option, I am unemployed at the moment, which makes me want it even more. I am single, no kids, nothing, many people don't want Alaska, but I actually WANT Alaska, or give me a place where no one wants to go, I'll take it in a heartbeat. As one of the test instructors said to us during my AT-SAT test day on the topic of geo pref "You do what you have to, to put food in your stomach"

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
many people don't want Alaska, but I actually WANT Alaska, or give me a place where no one wants to go, I'll take it in a heartbeat.
Then make sure to put Alaska. They're serious about the need there, but a lot of people won't do it when push comes to shove... or, when they found that they were actually picked for the place, they back out of it. You want in, put it down.

ZDC !!!! My only choice. =)
Don't count on it. They just picked up seven or eight people from StuckMic alone, and that's just a fraction of the total number of new hires. It's not likely that they'll be hiring again for a while, and when they will, the training backlog'll be long.

Just keep your options open.

Queue

Jul 26, 2009
Then make sure to put Alaska. They're serious about the need there, but a lot of people won't do it when push comes to shove... or, when they found that they were actually picked for the place, they back out of it. You want in, put it down.
Do you think the need will still be that great by the time PUBNAT8 people get Geo Prefs? I've thought of putting down Alaska if I pass the test, but after 7 PUBNATs and a PUBAK, Alaska's need has to have been decreased... right?

Pinl84

Rookie
Sep 29, 2009

I put down Alaska on my app and I sure hope that's the case, Love the snow, love the cold, but if that's not the case, I will go where ever they need controllers. My main concern is getting the job, regardless of location.

Jrev808

Newcomer
Oct 16, 2009
Hawaii
Aloha everyone. My first post here. Great forum.
Anyone from PUBNAT8 wanna go to Las Vegas? KLAS i think it is? I havent seen that for anyones preference. I need it! Hahaha. Me and my significant other are trying,praying, wishing to get there. We shall see! Aloha.

Jlgpilot

Newcomer
Oct 12, 2009
I selected Miami & Houston for my top two locations. I then selected enroute. I do not believe I selected "throughout the nation". Was that a terminal choice? It looks like most people here selected airports, not centers.

That being said, will I still receive a geo pref email?

ariera

Rookie
Oct 15, 2009
OKC
I'd love san antonio, TX. I could also go for anywhere in Texas or New Mexico (terminal or en route). But I've also decided that I would be happy to work anywhere that's hiring, especially if they have a good training department.

jamin35008

May 22, 2009
KROC
Just a FYI. For those of you who put anything other than "Troughout the Nation" those choices have nothing to do with your selections. You will recieve a geo pref e-mail a few months after all AT-SAT testing is done and get to pick two states then.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
Just a FYI. For those of you who put anything other than "Troughout the Nation" those choices have nothing to do with your selections. You will recieve a geo pref e-mail a few months after all AT-SAT testing is done and get to pick two states then.
:agree:

Yeah, the states listed on the application have only been used to select one person, Niagara19 (of the people on Stuckmic, that is). She had Washington as #1 on her application and didn't list it on her geographic preference submission. They gave her Washington. But, like I said, she was the exception, not the rule.

CuylerGT

Newcomer
Oct 7, 2009
I'm hoping for ZTL or ZJX. I live in Atlanta and really want enroute...so I guess we'll see. Anyone have any info on ZJX's hiring needs? I've been told ZTL will be hiring for a while due to a large number of controllers up for retirement there...but from what I've read it seems that even the most trusted sources can be wrong at times.

By the way...under the "application" tab on my pubnat8 app...it says "throughout the nation"...but I did select a few states in the Geo Pref. section of the application. I also selected "no preference" as to whether I wanted enroute or terminal. I'm REALLY hoping that we have the chance to clarify this on our geo pref e-mails...because after a lot of research I definitely want enroute.

I've heard that the geo pref e-mails ask you for two states PLUS "preference" selection in terms of terminal/enroute...anyone know if this is true? Who knows...maybe I'll just have to wait and see!

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009
I'm hoping for ZTL or ZJX. I live in Atlanta and really want enroute...so I guess we'll see. Anyone have any info on ZJX's hiring needs? I've been told ZTL will be hiring for a while due to a large number of controllers up for retirement there...but from what I've read it seems that even the most trusted sources can be wrong at times.

By the way...under the "application" tab on my pubnat8 app...it says "throughout the nation"...but I did select a few states in the Geo Pref. section of the application. I also selected "no preference" as to whether I wanted enroute or terminal. I'm REALLY hoping that we have the chance to clarify this on our geo pref e-mails...because after a lot of research I definitely want enroute.

I've heard that the geo pref e-mails ask you for two states PLUS "preference" selection in terms of terminal/enroute...anyone know if this is true? Who knows...maybe I'll just have to wait and see!
It says throughout the nation on ASAP because it was a throughout the nation announcement, not state specific.

Assuming you passed the AT-SAT, you will definitely get a chance to choose the two states you would like to work in. There will also be a choice of Enroute or Terminal or both. There is also a comment box for large states where you can list specific counties or facilities that you are willing to work.

Good luck!

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
Current controller at ZJX says they are overstaffed. Have 350 and the training manager told me on a tour that they were and could even lose some and be fine.

Jlgpilot

Newcomer
Oct 12, 2009
It says throughout the nation on ASAP because it was a throughout the nation announcement, not state specific.

Assuming you passed the AT-SAT, you will definitely get a chance to choose the two states you would like to work in. There will also be a choice of Enroute or Terminal or both. There is also a comment box for large states where you can list specific counties or facilities that you are willing to work.

Good luck!
This is good to know. At least it makes you feel like your opinion matters!