Who is going to ZOA (Oakland Center)

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
I know there is a good number of us going to Oakland from PUBNAT 5/6 that were at the Chicago PEPC. Who has a OKC class date? Anyone tour ZOA yet? Suggestions on where to live?

mallori55

Rookie
Jun 29, 2009
California
I'm going there too. I wanted to set up a tour but I lost the number and the name of the contact. Does anyone know the number?
Emailed HR today and was told all of my clearances are back. So I guess I am waiting on the class date.

Grant

Rookie
Nov 22, 2008
Los Angeles
Im headed there as well. Just got the medical all clear on Thursday. Left a message with HR today to get some insight on a class date.

Grant

Rookie
Nov 22, 2008
Los Angeles
Check out Fremont, Pleasanton, Dublin. Fremont's lookin a little easier on the wallet. Id probably stay clear of Oakland, Hayward. Thats just what Ive heard.

Leonard

Newcomer
Nov 14, 2008
ZOA here too. I'm liven in Mountain View so i gonna have to commute over the dumbarten till i can find a place (hopefully i can get me some off commute hour shifts) Still no word on the class date but this week should be the golden week. (at least thats what i keep tellen everyone)

as far as living. Oakland and Hayward are kinda sketch. should probably tour the place and see if anyone there has any good suggestions maybe?

BigAlUCD

Newcomer
May 24, 2009
Check out Fremont, Pleasanton, Dublin. Fremont's lookin a little easier on the wallet. Id probably stay clear of Oakland, Hayward. Thats just what Ive heard.
Fremont being cheap? No way bro! The entire tri-city area is a rip off including Fremont, Newark, Union City. Trust me I live there .... Ask dmevans, he lives in Fremont. I went asking for a apartment on Stevenson Blvd the other day ... $1325/mo for a 1 BDR!! I almost hit the lady in the face! :p She had the audacity to tell me I was getting a great deal!

Hayward seems like a reasonable bet but the area is a little sketchy. Oakland is way too ghetto fabulous!!:lol:

For those concerned with commute, the 880 Freeway (which ZOA is located close to) is the worst for morning or afternoon commutes!! So pick your poison I guess ... commute or pay for something wayyy overpriced! Good luck!

Skeez057

Aug 23, 2008
Fremont being cheap? No way bro! The entire tri-city area is a rip off including Fremont, Newark, Union City. Trust me I live there .... Ask dmevans, he lives in Fremont. I went asking for a apartment on Stevenson Blvd the other day ... $1325/mo for a 1 BDR!! I almost hit the lady in the face! :p She had the audacity to tell me I was getting a great deal!

Hayward seems like a reasonable bet but the area is a little sketchy. Oakland is way too ghetto fabulous!!:lol:

For those concerned with commute, the 880 Freeway (which ZOA is located close to) is the worst for morning or afternoon commutes!! So pick your poison I guess ... commute or pay for something wayyy overpriced! Good luck!
Wow what a rip off!!! I live in LA and I pay $1050 for a two bed room two bathroom apt. You should have head putted her.;)

What area's are cheaper to live??

BigAlUCD

Newcomer
May 24, 2009
Wow what a rip off!!! I live in LA and I pay $1050 for a two bed room two bathroom apt. You should have head putted her.;)

What area's are cheaper to live??
I would say choose something that doesn't lie on the "other" side of the bridge. This includes the San Mateo and Dumbarton bridges .... plus toll would kill you. Also, avoid the 238 to 880 interchange (the area in general). They always have construction going on over there and its a nightmare.

Just look at a map .... anything along 880 between San Jose and before Oakland is good. You went too far if you went to Oakland! Sorry I know, I just dislike Oakland ....:D

Lynz2529

Rookie
May 17, 2009
California
For areas to live. I have lived in the Bay my whole life. I live in Benicia right now, my commute to work now is an hour to Alameda. If you don't want to commute, and don't want to spend a lot of money, the Hayward side closer to Castro Valley is okay, Emeryville is okay, it is a little drive, Berkely is okay in some places, but can get expensive. South Bay, (San Jose area) I am not too familiar with. San Leandro is cheaper and not too bad.

If you don't mind driving a little bit you can check out Concord, and take 680 to work, or Pinole, Hercules, El Sobrante and take 80 to 880.

If you live in the bay, you better like to commute!

Good Luck, let me know if I can help further

mallori55

Rookie
Jun 29, 2009
California
I am in the same boat. I have a house in Sacramento and that is way to far to drive from everyday. So I need a cheap apartment I was thinking about driving a little and looking around the Tracy area. You have to remember this is a job that is shift work. So I hope they give me a shift that does not start and end right at traffic time. Good luck and let us know if you find a great deal around the area. The best I found in Fremont was a studio that was around 800.

Grant

Rookie
Nov 22, 2008
Los Angeles

lol. Thanks. I grew up north of Sacramento, but have been in a LA for a couple years now. And I was hoping to escape the traffic.:drool: