Whos Going To ZNY

Marcia

Reactor temps normal.
Oct 26, 2010
Denver
Maybe SANDY will help further inspire the FAA to move the center off of Long Island! One could only hope...

Scott8282

Newcomer
Sep 27, 2010
What's everyones wait time. The center has been getting approximately 50 new trainees every year. In the last year 15 trainees have been assigned to my area alone. Obviously with ERAM training has slowed down a little, even people in the building are waiting to move on to their next phase of training. Obviously the wait is frustrating, but if you've already waited 2-3 years I encourage you to wait a little longer. ZNY is an amazing place to work and will be well worth the wait.

Marcia

Reactor temps normal.
Oct 26, 2010
Denver
Got picked for ZNY. Graduated December 2010, so under two years here. Not bad at all, relatively speaking ^

BKaczmarek

Rookie
Nov 27, 2010
Stayed away from this site for a long time so that I don't make myself crazy. I decided to catch up on things and see what information was out there... Guess what? Feeling crazy about this again. Let's see if someone can confirm/deny my mental math here.

Sounds like there are about 70-75 on the waiting list for ZNY according to a couple of posts. If there's indeed a handful of 2011 TOL's still to go - maybe 15 or 20 - let's figure the early 2012 TOL's (from the Nov 2011 panel) start around 20. Based on the number that got tossed around last year about 35-40 selections, is it reasonably safe to assume the early 2012 TOL's sit roughly around 20th-60th on the waiting list?

Ws6_Time

Newcomer
Feb 8, 2011
Word of advice.... If possible to avoid ZNY...do so....not being bitter... Just speaking for all of the trainees here... If for some reason you can go somewhere else do it... U can thank me later... Otherwise hope and pray you go into Area F or E

Kleetus

Jan 18, 2009
Someplace
Word of advice.... If possible to avoid ZNY...do so....not being bitter... Just speaking for all of the trainees here... If for some reason you can go somewhere else do it... U can thank me later... Otherwise hope and pray you go into Area F or E
I have heard stories about training at ZNY but never anything consistent. Is there issues with the trainers or delays in training? Or is it just overwhelmingly difficult? Everyone I know that are controllers en-route has said ZNY is the most difficult by far to check out at.

I am just curious because I have different stories from different people some saying its difficult and others that its training issues. I have heard consistently though that areas E and F are the places to go.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
If trainees in the FAA are anything like trainees in the USAF, often times their own problems and issues are turned into the faults of the trainers and training program in their head.

dillthegreat

Rookie
Sep 7, 2011
LONG ISLAND NY
My uncle works at ZNY and occasionally trains potentials. He says that its just a large amount of traffic with more complicated routes than many other zones. Majority of the people (I think he said for his area the fail rate is about 75% while the easiest which is ocean is much lower) can't handle the normal plane amount. Still people who pass though, that's what counts.

rhd9b

Trusted Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
VA
Were either of you guys able to get any kind of hint from MG in the last few months that your turn might be coming up, or did this just come out of thin air for both of you?